Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 24, 2009

Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-01-2009, 9:16 AM Reply   
Hey guyz,

I am from montreal, i just watched the news and i remember that i saw that on the news last week, a big fire in california that was not handled by the authorities yet. Now this morning its at 25km up north Los Angeles, they said its a 425 sqaure km fire that is only controled over 5% of is surface, i dont know if the weather is supposed to changed soon, but i want to know if you guys here (from CA) are affected by that or not. But anyway i wanted to wish really good luck to anyone that is touch by this huge fire or have family or friends that can be concern by this tragedy.

(Message edited by radikal on September 01, 2009)
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-01-2009, 9:47 AM Reply   
It's just another fire in CA, it just so happens that this one is close to metro LA. There are a few guys on here that are firefighters, so wish them well. It's a pretty regular occurrence out here, you just got to be prepared and hope for the best.
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       09-01-2009, 11:20 AM Reply   
Earlier this year or last year (I can't remember) the big yorba linda - anaheim hills fire was a couple hundred yards away from our house. The fireman really do an amazing job keeping the fire away from structures.
Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-01-2009, 4:10 PM Reply   
The progress on the fire is starting to roll along now the weather changed just a little for the better, and the crews were able to start back burning. I hope and pray for all my friends that got sent on our crew down there im really bummed that i missed the cut to be on that crew by one person, they are all down there and im stuck up here listening to the news. But im glad they are working there arses off to get the containment rolling, Anyways keep all the shot and engine and handcrews in your minds guys,
Old     (supraride)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-01-2009, 4:34 PM Reply   
Whats a km? Do you mean miles. haha
Old     (ryker1)      Join Date: Oct 2008       09-01-2009, 4:58 PM Reply   
Not a large impact for me since I live in Long Beach. The ride into LA on my motorcycle was a bit more hazy.

The thing with firefighting something like this is that firefighters can't just contain fires where ever they want. The contain them at spots that support firefighting. So as the fire moves closer to developed, flatter areas they can fight it better.
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       09-01-2009, 6:17 PM Reply   
had a scary fire in auburn here a couple days ago, took out 60 houses in about 2-4 hours and was headed straight toward my house which was only half a mile north of the fire in a rural area with lots of livestock and trees. The sub division of homes that it burned down kind of stopped the fire though, if it hadn't it would have spread pretty far.

kind of an eye opener for us in the area that are on wells, since they shut down the power for the area we wouldn't have been able to even spray our roofs down with our hoses since we didn't have any water pressure

http://auburnjournal.com/detail/128516.html?content_source=&category_id=&search_fi lter=&user_id=&event_mode=&event_ts_from=&event_ts _to=&list_type=&order_by=&order_sort=&content_clas s=1&sub_type=&town_id=
Old     (liquidforcefan)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-01-2009, 9:03 PM Reply   
I go to college literally right over the hills from there. Ash was covering my car today and I've started coughing, it sucks big time. There is what looks like a huge mushroom cloud a few miles from me.
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-01-2009, 9:32 PM Reply   
1 mile = 1.6kms

< from Montréal too.

be careful out there guys!
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       09-02-2009, 11:31 AM Reply   
the smoke from the fire is causing a haze in CO now. It is getting tough to see the mountains.
Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-02-2009, 3:57 PM Reply   
wish i was down there with the rest of the guys on my crew i sucks while they are there having all the fun and im stuck here til the next dispatch, smoke is everywhere in cali and this is just the beginning of the fire season
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-02-2009, 10:18 PM Reply   
The mushroom cloud is enormous. From my view, it dwarfs downtown LA. I am over 40 miles away and the layer of smoke leaves an eerie feeling outside. The air is completely still and it is hot.
Old     (l_b)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-03-2009, 1:15 PM Reply   
Best of luck to those firefighters. I can't imagine. I guess it's the price you pay for sunshine and no rain year round.
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-03-2009, 3:08 PM Reply   
Yup, that is why we live at the beach and not in the foothills, sand doesn't burn.

Seriously, thank you to the firefighters!!! They risk their lives to save a tremendous amount of homes, people and animals. It is a thankless job out there battling everyday. Unfortunately 2 of them were killed in this fire when their vehicle rolled off the side of the road. Lets pray there aren't any others.

(Message edited by nuckledragger on September 03, 2009)
Old     (rowdy)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-04-2009, 9:05 PM Reply   
Most of this area hasn't burned in 100 yrs. The weather is a little out of the ordinary right now as Santa Ana's aren't present. This fire is purely driven by the fuel and topography.
Check out this timelapse:

http://brandonriza.com/Video/HTML/ZeroPercentContained.html

(Message edited by rowdy on September 04, 2009)
Old     (bdavis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-04-2009, 10:46 PM Reply   
Very cool link Eric, thanks.