Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 26, 2009

Old     (ship_of_fools)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-11-2009, 5:57 PM Reply   
I just ordered a Wetsounds XS 12 sub and was wondering if anyone has tried to put a Polk Audio db12G grill on one.

Here is a link to the grill: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DB12G/Polk-Audio-db12G.html?tp=1053

They have the same number of bolt holes and the Wetsounds manual says the XS12 has a 11.81" bolt circle but I can't find the bolt circle on the Polk Audio sub.

Anyone out there with a Polk Audio 12" db sub and a tape measure?? I need the distance from opposite bolt holes.

Are there any other fit up concerns?

Thanks
Old     (smuurph84)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-13-2009, 10:48 AM Reply   
I have one do you want the distance between the grill screw holes?
Old     (smuurph84)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-14-2009, 9:25 AM Reply   
its 11 5/8" center to center of the grill screw holes
Old     (ship_of_fools)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-14-2009, 3:33 PM Reply   
Great thanks!! The Wetsounds sub is 11.81", that's about 3/32" difference per hole. Hopefully I can make that up by "egging" out the holes.

Thanks again!
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-15-2009, 12:40 AM Reply   
I am concerned about the diameter of the Wetsounds mounting ring. It's bigger than most subs, not sure if it will fit under the lip of the Polk grill.
Old     (ship_of_fools)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-15-2009, 9:58 PM Reply   
Hey Mike!!

I should have them both on Tuesday. I will report back what I find.
Old     (ship_of_fools)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-23-2009, 7:40 PM Reply   
Update........The Polk Audio DB12G grill will bolt right on to the Wetsounds XS 12 sub, no modifications are necessary.

The only thing is that back surface of the grill is held out about 3/16" of an inch away from mounting surface of the speaker. But, you can not tell unless you look at it from the side and even then it looks fine. It would be even less noticeable if it is mounted on a carpeted surface.

But I had no problems using these 2 paired together!! Looks or fit up.
Old     (smuurph84)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-24-2009, 4:12 PM Reply   
hey can you post some pics of the gap i was thinking about swaping out my sub for the xs 12'
Old     (ship_of_fools)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-24-2009, 6:51 PM Reply   
Here are some pics without carpet. I should have the carpet I am adding by the end of the week. If you would like more pics just let me know.

Upload
Upload
Old     (ship_of_fools)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-24-2009, 7:33 PM Reply   
One more note...There are recessed holes for the screws on the sub. When using the grill there will be a gap between the bottom of the hole and the grill but only where the holes are. The rest of the grill rests on the outside rim of the sub.

I supposed you could put a spacer in there so that you are actually holding down the sub by the mounting flange and not the outside rubber ring. You would probably get a more rigid mount that way.