Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 19, 2005

Old     (mnwake45)      Join Date: May 2005       06-04-2005, 10:11 PM Reply   
Hey I am currently riding a 2002 Liquid Force Subjekt 137 (obviously one of the coolest graphics ever, looks like Dark Side of the Moon) but I am looking to upgrade. Unfortunately here in Northern Minnesota no one really carries many wakeboards let alone has demos so I come to you. From people who have or have ridden a Roam, could it really be a good all around board and one that I could use for my all time board not just for rails, etc?? Thanks
Peace~Sam
Old    brabdau            06-04-2005, 10:21 PM Reply   
Sam,
I purchased a Hyperlite Roam 139 about 3 weeks ago. I have riden the board about 5 times so has my brother. Both of us are pretty new to wakeboarding and are by no means that good (my bro's quite a bit better than me). From my experience the board is great. Smooth as hell, and holds a much better edge than you would think. I've found that it's pretty slippery when riding straight, but if your cutting or anything else it rides perfect. The only down side is the fact that it is much thinner feeling than a regular board. Because of this you really need smooth water. Otherwise it smacks pretty good on anything turbulent.

My suggestion is GET IT. It's a board I intend on keeping for my entire wakeboarding life. Best buy I've made (only because I haven't gotten the new moomba I want).
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-04-2005, 10:24 PM Reply   
NO, the subjekt is a good board. If you want something new maybe try a substance or absolute. Don't get a roam for your everyday board. It would be like riding a wakeboard on snow, well not really, but its not the same thing. It doesnt have channels or fins so its a really loose board.
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-05-2005, 7:44 AM Reply   
If you like riding a broken wakeboard, go get it.
Unless you are hitting rails every time you ride, there is no reason for it. If you lilke the loose feel, take the fins off your board. At least you'll have the snap off the wake.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-05-2005, 8:00 AM Reply   
This guy Jason I rode with couple weeks ago on J-Rods boat,all he rides is a roam and swears by it.I know J-Rod would back me up on this one when I say that this guy is one of the sickest rider I ever seen plus he rides the roam.To me other then seeing Trevor Hansen ride this guy is by far the most skilled rider I had a pleasure watching and Mr.Josh Storer(sp)?Move over cuss this kid will straight bust on you in every which way.He does thing on the roam that I only seen on TV or Trevor do but keep in perspective that Trevor doesn't ride the roam.He almost made change my board into a roam but there is NO WAY I think I'll ever get that good even on my WB.

This guy Jason goes HUUUUGE on the roam,bigger then 98% of the people I seen ride.Just amazing!!
Old    brabdau            06-05-2005, 11:14 AM Reply   
All I can say is, if you don't ride one you'll never know. It looks like nothing else and because of that you'll always have people put it down.

Big Ed, did you get a chance to ride the roam?

I can't tell if anyone else has ridden one. I would love to hear from someone who has. Because like I said, I am new so maybe I just don't know any better. LOL.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-06-2005, 8:11 AM Reply   
Big Ed, what kind of tricks was he doing? Tootsies, whirlys, and stuff like that. If so, that is really impressive.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-06-2005, 9:06 AM Reply   
Leo: Jason Callen only rides the Roam. He kills it on the Roam like no one you have ever seen. Whirlys, Mobes, giant raley based tricks, OA spins, grabbed inverts, and everything into the flats. He swears the Roam is the only board to ride. It's just a matter of learning it. He rides with a snowboarding style.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-06-2005, 10:01 AM Reply   
Yup, Jason kills it. You could ride that board as your daily ride, but it's very difficult. I like to think I'm a decent rider, but riding that thing makes me ride like a beginner again. It's got a ton of pop when you hit it just right, but I struggle on my toeside with it. I'd say if you can kill it on that thing you could ride pretty much anything. BTW, it's killer on rails. It's actually really fun W2W, but can be frustrating.
Old     (jonm)      Join Date: Jan 2002       06-06-2005, 10:13 AM Reply   
I think of the roam like a large trick ski.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-06-2005, 9:14 PM Reply   
u cant go wrong with the roam baby. sickest board ever made. if they ever stop making it, im gonna ride my snowboard. dead serious.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-06-2005, 9:16 PM Reply   
here's my take....

if you're a semi-pro/pro level rider, you'll like the roam.

if you're anything below a semi-pro/pro level rider, you'll hate the roam...unless you like surface tricks.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-06-2005, 10:26 PM Reply   
That's what I was thinking Joe. If you can already do the stuff, then you can do it on about any board. Like Watson doing 720's on the fish, because he does them like nothing on the substance. Its just having technique and using it with any type of board.
Old     (leykis1o1)      Join Date: May 2005       06-06-2005, 11:16 PM Reply   
the Finless , channeless boards are so much fun to ride!!
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-07-2005, 7:57 AM Reply   
Leo ~ No disrespect but the fish has 5 fins and from what I understand it tracks pretty well,so it is not the same thing.

And yes I tried the roam and boy it's loose as a goose or like my last g\f.hahahaha J\K but you get the picture.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-07-2005, 8:22 AM Reply   
I borrowed one for a run at the cable park a couple weeks ago. I found it to be more slippery than my Motive on the rail. It had a much softer landing off the ramps. And I could even do air rolls with it. I might pick one up for funsies.
Old    sbvfive            06-07-2005, 11:01 AM Reply   
Whats up John....haven't seen you in awhile! I'll be back in Orlando in August, hopefully we'll catch up at ODub.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-07-2005, 11:38 AM Reply   
Hey Scott, I haven't been out to OWC as much lately. My new fiancee has been keeping me busy doing other stuff. I still get out there twice a week, but not spending as much time on the water. I'm gonna be pretty lame at the Cable Tour stop in 2 weeks, and I still haven't seen dates announced for the Slider Spectacular tournaments.

See you in August!