Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 09, 2003

Old    flipside            06-23-2003, 4:49 PM Reply   
Check out how bad my day just got...sadly enough, I'm a 26 year old guy almost in tears here.

I really don't know if wakeboarding was the cause of it. But, based on something I read on the web of different kinds of back pains, the kind I have leads itself more toward a herniated disk in my back. This means that my wakeboarding season is probably over before it even started. Well, I have a brand new board and bindings sitting here that I'd have to have to return.

I'm going to see a doctor later this week, and if it is a herniated disk, there's not much more I can do but sit on my butt and watch everyone else wakeboard and not me.

Like I said, brand new board...never been ridden, but I may just have to return it or sell it to someone

FlipsidE
Old    craigp            06-23-2003, 10:03 PM Reply   
Life ain't over.
I fought a bad back for 2 1/2 years before I new it was a disc. I had surgery in November and was on the Mountain by New Years, I was out only 4 weeks. Make sure your Doc gets you a MRI, x-rays don't show crap! You'll be on the water by mid August.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       06-23-2003, 10:37 PM Reply   
Fight hard to get the proper treatment. I had Kaiser and they did not take care of me the first time and the second was ten times worse. I learned more about the injury in Physical therapy than what the doctor told me after my X-Rays and MRI. Now I know how to put the disk back into place myself, this ends the pain much quicker.

I still ride, just not as hard. I keep everything pretty much wake to wake and do not go big anymore. Since my injury last year I have not learned a new invert but have smoothed out my riding alot. I am affraid to fall these days. Some days it hurts like heck and others it doesn't bother me at all wakeboarding. Should I even be wakeboarding?? probably not!
Old     (sandbag)      Join Date: May 2002       06-24-2003, 6:58 AM Reply   
See my post on back injury:
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/70556.html?1056251944

I'll continue skating, surfing and of coarse
driving. But, I'm gonna hang up my wakeboard
til next summer and see what happens.

Go to the gym and strengthen your abs and low
back. These are the tree trunk of the human
body. Build great strength there and you
have a good chance of not having problems
with your back when you are an old man.