Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (apf)      Join Date: Dec 2010       02-13-2011, 5:09 PM Reply   
im interested in hearing some other opinions...what you guys prefer, why or dont care?
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-13-2011, 7:04 PM Reply   
I've ridden a Slingshot Response and a Ronix Ibex on rails, and I would have to say I prefer the continuous rocker of the Slingshot. This could be for a few different reasons though. I like the flex on rails (feels like snowboarding), and riding the Ibex was one of the first times I rode rails, so I wasnt really trying to press, mostly just sat in the flat spot. So...I prefered the Slingshot, but maybe not due to the rocker.
Old     (Musgrove)      Join Date: Dec 2010       02-13-2011, 7:39 PM Reply   
it all a preferance really just 3 stage has the flat spot
Old     (RobMuff)      Join Date: Jun 2010       02-16-2011, 7:49 PM Reply   
yeah i really like using 3 stage rockers. simply put, it locks you in on presses and makes them look more precise in my opinion. plus once your locked in you can spin on that one area and it looks really good. but if you like to snowboard a lot id go with continuous or like a slingshot that has nothing on the bottom, gives it a slicker slidey free feel. all about preferance
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-17-2011, 3:15 AM Reply   
I've ridden a bunch of different boards on rails.... and spend a lot of time hitting rails. Flex-boards are of course my fave (as most park riders would say).

Comparing flex boards on rails: You'll notice the difference in flex patterns long before you'd really notice the different rocker shapes. softer/stiffer tips or softer/stiffer belly, ect, ect.
If you had two flex boards with the same shape and flex you'd be hard pressed to note much between them just on rails...... you would notice it more just riding around on the water.
Personally I prefer a stiffish flex board with minimal drag.

Comparing stiff boards on rails: I'll take the two extremes. 2008/9 Ibex VS 2006/7 Murray. I have spent a bunch of time on both. And both really enjoyed, but on rails the ibex won by a landslide.
Just straight boardsliding with the murray on skinny rails would sometimes prove tricky as there was no flat spot in the belly to plant on. If you had momentum going in a certain direction you'd usually end up starting to slide off that way. Sometimes, this would get annoying.
Boards with major three stage are easier to get that sense of pressing because you have that tipping point where you go from the flat middle to the tip rocker. I think this feeling is great for people learning to hit rails properly before they get into ollieing straight on to the nose or tail. I think once you get past that point, rocker becomes less important and bottom features 'comes more of a concern.
My fave "traditional" stiff board is the Ronix Bill. Pretty featureless on the base so you can get up on the nose and tail without much getting in your way. Plus it also has a low drag rocker line.

So for me. Don't think you can compare a stiff board to a flex board when it comes to rails. Apple and Oranges.
But when looking at a board to hit the park with, wether its a three-stage or not isn't that important to me, as long as its not slow and draggy. The first things I look for are bottom features, edge design and template. Pretty much looking for things that will give me the performance I want without getting in the way.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-17-2011, 5:46 AM Reply   
sorry what I ment to say was: "If you had two flex boards with the same shape and flex but different rockers you'd be hard pressed to note much between them just on rails...... you would notice it more just riding around on the water"

Sorry I wrote that before I had coffee.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-17-2011, 8:26 AM Reply   
I own a Severance 138 and a Recruit 139 (that just died last week, RIP). I split time off the wake, but for winching, 2.0 and cable I rode the recruit almost exclusively. I hit rails on both often and as someone said earlier, I could tell no difference pressing or locking onto a rail.

I ride the recruit in the park because it has less drag. A continuous board tends to have a little less resistance when skimming across the water at lower speeds. If I am on a winch it helps with what are often sketchy pick-ups and on the cable in keeps me from getting as worn-out making it from one rail to the next.

If you are buying a board for the cable park with a focus on terrain only, I would go continuous. If you are going to use it for air tricks or boat riding--you need to decide for yourself.

Just my opinion only.
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-17-2011, 10:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboarder View Post
A continuous board tends to have a little less resistance when skimming across the water at lower speeds. If I am on a winch it helps with what are often sketchy pick-ups and on the cable in keeps me from getting as worn-out making it from one rail to the next.

If you are buying a board for the cable park with a focus on terrain only, I would go continuous. If you are going to use it for air tricks or boat riding--you need to decide for yourself.

Just my opinion only.
Excellent analysis. I agree completely