Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 29, 2007

Old     (airwaker)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-07-2007, 7:19 AM Reply   
i have all the tricks to and including a back roll down. i started trying tantrums 2 days ago. i did them on a wake skate 1st to try to get the trip motion before i put on a board. my 1st 2 on a skate i got around on the flip, but the 3rd time i felt a huge pop off the wake. thats when i took it to the board. i had 3 attempts w/ a board and never got the POP that i did on the skate.

how do i get that POP again? i feel the obvious answer is that i was throwing them early?? anyone else had the same experience? ive read all the instructionals, so any extra advice thats helped yall out?
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       11-07-2007, 7:33 AM Reply   
Brad, yes, wait until the top of the wake but make sure you're not trying to intentionally stop and turn the board when you throw the trick. Edge aggressively to the top of the wake and then just throw a "backflip" at the top. Your heelside edge will catch the wake and kick you over. What can also help is make sure you have even pressure on both feet when you're edging into the wake. If you're too "back foot" heavy as you approach the wake, it will minimize your kick at the top of the wake.

If that doesn't work, you may not be standing tall with your hips when you're leaving the wake. Lift with you hips and that will also give you more pop.

I tried to keep it simple so I hope this helps. Best of luck!
Old     (airwaker)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-07-2007, 7:49 AM Reply   
this actually helps b/c the instructionals say to lay off edge at the bottom of the wake and start squaring off then too.

sounds like if i keep edge a little longer itll help.

thanks!
Old     (gurubrdz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-07-2007, 10:40 AM Reply   
Trust Ryan....he has one of the biggest Tantrums you'll see....Right, ya filthy animal?
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       11-07-2007, 10:58 AM Reply   
Damn Hype, where you been ya filthy animal?

Sorry for the hijack Brad.....Mark and I go way back, and FYI, Mark is one bad ripper himself (for his age).....JUST KIDDING HYPE!
Old     (ryanjones)      Join Date: Nov 2007       11-07-2007, 2:19 PM Reply   
Brad,
what gives you pop is the 1.line tension 2. Holding your edge throughout the wake and into the air. 3. Your body position. When you edge into the wake do not let off your line tension. Keep it the consistent. Put the line tension in your shoulders and lean back on the line. Let the rope hold your body weight. Keep edging away from the boat. Like you are trying to get away from it. When you leave the top of the wake position your shoulders to rock in front of your feet. This will create the trip/pop.. One more thing that might help... Most people throw there upper body back on a tantrum. This throws your body down towards the water. Making tantrums low. When I do a tantrum I let the wake give me pop. Then I lift my lower body(waist down) up and over my head. Have you ever seen some one try to kick a football and miss, causing them to fall onto there back? It works like that.. Good Luck...
Old     (airwaker)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-07-2007, 3:22 PM Reply   
thanks for the response, but im a little confused. the instructionals say to come off heel side edge and "square" to the wake at teh bottom of the wake. from here it sounds like you want to stay on heel side edge til the top of the wake?? is this right?

i didnt get to ride today. got sick from riding yesterday....go figure.
Old     (gurubrdz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-07-2007, 4:03 PM Reply   
Well Ryan Shimy, If I was your age (What? 52+?)...and married now!....should you really be giving advice to these young'ns?.....Just Kiddin, you and Ryan (supertramp)( by the By, What up Ryan J.? ) are correct in your analaysis....It's so easy ( and tempting) to start your tantrum in the trough of the wake. Hold your edge right to the top of the wake, then turn, let go of your back hand and throw your flip as if your trying to land on the other shore. This will automaticaly square you up and trip you into the trick. Then you'll float the trick instead of a whip it like a fip-flop...right Ryans's???

HypE!
Old     (ryanjones)      Join Date: Nov 2007       11-07-2007, 4:25 PM Reply   
Yes!!! Wait until the top of the wake to square up. If you watch some of the top pro's. You will notice that they don't square up on some tantrum tricks. Visualize hanging from a wakeboard handle, that is hanging straight above your head with both hands. If you were to let go with your left hand, your left shoulders would change position. Hanging lower then your right shoulder. Now if you where to stand on your feet, holding a rope that is tied up in front of you. Then let all of your body weight fall onto the rope. Keep the line tension in your shoulders, then let go with your left hand. Your upper body should rotate about 90 degrees just by letting go. What I'm getting at is, if you are cutting into the wake and you have your line tension in your shoulders. Once you let go with your back hand you should automatically square up.
Old     (airwaker)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-07-2007, 5:11 PM Reply   
thanks guys! cant wait to get out there and land this. i broke my knee on a back roll in late may, so i didnt get to ride at all this summer. started easing myself back in riding in sept. now i have the backroll dialed in land im looking for a new invert.

thanks again!
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-07-2007, 6:35 PM Reply   
I was trying these the other day... I can't do any inverts as yet, but I can do back flips easily enough off the boat, off anything pretty much. I landed on my head most of the time. We didn't have the ballast working though (busted hose that fills the engine bay not the ballast, stoked) This looks like some good advice and I will definitely be having another go next time, I think I was coming off my edge and throwing them way too early as well. Thanks for the info guys.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       11-07-2007, 7:31 PM Reply   
Brad, you've gotten a lot of good advice here. Just try to keep it simple so you don't think so much next time you're on the water.

Hype, come on man...52, I know you're not losing you're mind already you old man :0)
Old     (owenitall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-08-2007, 7:44 PM Reply   
hey ryan, i have been siting in on your conversations, and i think it is awesome advice. i can't wait to try it next year. i had been running into the same problems as brad. going by "the book" hadn't got it for me, but this all makes a lot of s
sense.