Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 15, 2009

Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-20-2009, 1:43 PM Reply   
Used to store my boat next to an RV that the owner used Simple Green to clean. The over spray ended up all over my boat and ruining the vinyl on my Sangers engine covers. I removed the skins and sent them to Wayne who does the Sanger interiors. Monday I took my boat to him and he put the new skins on and re-installed the hatches and it looks amazing.
One of the best parts of the trip was Wayne turned me onto Malco vinyl cleaner. It is the most amazng product ever. It is the only thing I have ever seen work the way it does. Im talking not only brand new looking but feeling as well. Since '92 ive been cleaning my boats and nothing compares to Malco. My 2003 cushions match my '09 engine covers perfectly.
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-20-2009, 2:06 PM Reply   
Is this the stuff?Upload
Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-20-2009, 2:23 PM Reply   
Oh yeah. Just seeing the bottle makes me weepy.

Nothing like it.
Old     (littletna)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-20-2009, 3:17 PM Reply   
Exquisite works very well too. Check it out in the review.http://www.wakeboatworld.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=51&Itemi d=1
Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-20-2009, 4:25 PM Reply   
This stuff doesnt work well it works perfect with no more than a spray on and wipe off. Ive tried everything. That review scares me because he states he has used simple green on his interior with good results. Simple Green is death to vinyl. It will cause the vinyl to dry out and become brittle. It destroys the stiching as well
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-20-2009, 4:31 PM Reply   
Where do you buy it ?
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-20-2009, 4:32 PM Reply   
Another vote for Exquisite Vinyl Cleaner...Hands down the best.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-20-2009, 5:04 PM Reply   
IMO Vinyl cleaner's vary depending on the condition of your vinyl. What works for ones guys beat down hoopty might not be the best cleaner for your brand new interior. IMO Any cleaner that can clean with "SPRAY on and wipe off" instant results should be used with caution. Cleaners that have chemicals that can simply melt off any dirt or baked on sunscreen or what ever have stuff in them that might harm your vinyl. I have found that hot water and dish soap with a magic eraser will clean better than any spray on wipe off cleaner. I have been doing this for a few years and my interior looks like new. The stuff like Starbright cleaner (that someone her told me to use) I used eary on when I first got my boat did more dammage to my interior than anything I think it removed the clear thats on all new vinyl. Once you take that off you have your work cut out for you. Keeping it clean is a bit more work. The clear makes it easy to keep your interior clean. Once you scrub that off your interior is wide open to dirt and much harder to keep clean. I keep a spray bottle of car wash soap and water in the boat. It take off about 90% of the stains and dirt. Simple easy and cheep W/W's fav 3 words
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-20-2009, 8:41 PM Reply   
"Simple, Easy, and Cheep" ???
"Simple , Easy, and Cheap"

(Sorry G)

(Message edited by leaks on January 20, 2009)
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-20-2009, 9:08 PM Reply   
Been saying this for years, and using it for just as long. I've done custom upholstery on the side for over twenty years and have tried many products. None take care of leather and vinyl and most importantly, the THREAD that holds everything together over the years like MalcoPro Plastic and Leather Cleaner. And just for the record, there is no "clear" on vinyl that can be scrubbed away.

(Message edited by wake upppp on January 20, 2009)
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-21-2009, 5:50 AM Reply   
G, magic eraser will do more damage to your vinyl than any cleaner. Magic erasers are very abrasive and should be used as a last resort.
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-21-2009, 6:14 AM Reply   
Where can I buy MalcoPro cleaner?
Old     (chucktronics)      Join Date: Nov 2007       01-21-2009, 7:42 AM Reply   
I carry all the malco products and agree with others above. Until I started using l&p I was never happy with the results. As with all cleaners water is very important to the cleaning process regardless of brand. You must then follow through with a nurishing product such as pbII. This is not a cleaner and conditioner!
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-21-2009, 9:39 AM Reply   
www.malcopro.com They will direct you to a local dealer in your area.
Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-21-2009, 9:50 AM Reply   
Ryan-

What does pbII stand for? I just rinsed after the l&p. I would like to try pbII but dont know what the F pb stands for.
Thanks.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-21-2009, 10:45 AM Reply   
pb= peanut butter the oils in it condition the vinyl.
Old     (chucktronics)      Join Date: Nov 2007       01-21-2009, 8:55 PM Reply   
pbII is the conditioning product from malco. i like it better than others because it does not leave a shine ,more of a satin finish
Old     (acedistltd)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-25-2009, 8:06 PM Reply   
Hello all! I make, sell and distribute the Exquisite Vinyl & leather Cleaner. I have done upholstery and upholstery repair for 12 years. I make and sell the cleaner because so many people use harmful chemicals and or products which can and will damage their vinyl and/or stitching and good quality products are very hard to find.
Simple Green is absolutely terrible for both the vinyl and stitching. If you look at the review you can actually see the results of the Exquisite cleaning in the pictures. I did not solicit this person to do the review, he did it just to see the difference because so many people were raving about how great the Exquisite Cleaner was and he wanted to see for himself. Exquisite does not just work well either, I guarantee it to be the best vinyl and upholstery cleaner you have ever tried or your money back.
I would agree with "G" that any cleaner that you can just spray and wipe on is probably a chemical based cleaner which can damage your vinyl. HOWEVER, using a magic eraser is as bad as using a harsh chemical on your vinyl. It is correct that there is no 'clear' on your vinyl, there is however uv coatings which can be damaged or removed by using harsh chemicals or a magic eraser. A magic eraser should only be used for small scuffs or marks that cannot otherwise be removed. A good quality cleaner should be a surfactant(works like soap) cleaner. This means that it should use suds to remove the dirt as opposed to chemical removal of dirt. This also means that the best way to clean your vinyl is with a brush, such as a nylon bristle scrub brush to allow the suds to remove the dirt from the grain of the vinyl which is where it mostly gets trapped. A wipe down will remove the surface dirt but not that dirt hiding in the grain. If this dirt is left on the vinyl it will over time break down the surface of the vinyl and cause it to crack. A cleaner cannot clean and condition well at the same time because they are trying to do opposite things. A cleaner should be pulling dirt away from the surface, while a conditioner is putting moisture back into the surface. As a general rule the best way to 'condition' your vinyl is to keep it clean. Beware of alot of the vinyl conditioners and protectants as the majority of them have silicone in them which will also dry out your vinyl over time.
I would like to send a shout out to all of my loyal customers, thank you for your continued business and great comments on the cleaner! Look for a sale very soon! If you would like to see the Exquisite product go to http://stores.ebay.com/acedetailsupplies
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-25-2009, 9:33 PM Reply   
"I would agree with "G" that any cleaner that you can just spray and wipe on is probably a chemical based cleaner which can damage your vinyl."

Regarding the MalcoPro, you would both be incorrect. It's designed specificaly for leather and vinyl and will not damage these surfaces, unlike alot of household "generic" type cleaners like magic eraser, simple green and others.
Old     (acedistltd)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-26-2009, 8:13 PM Reply   
I am glad to hear that MalcoPro it is not a chemical based cleaner. Household 'generic' cleaners are chemical based cleaners which break down the vinyl. The magic eraser damages the vinyl by essentially rubbing away the surface. The Exquisite cleaner is designed specifically for vinyl cleaning, will not damage the surface and does not contain any 'generic' household cleaners. Give it a try, you will not be disappointed! Check my ebay feedback!
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-27-2009, 11:43 AM Reply   
I just ordered some Malco yesterday. I will give you my review as soon as it arrives.
Old     (tomfish)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-28-2009, 5:08 PM Reply   
So I've been using babes seat soap because it really seems to work great and it is a conditioner too I think. But mainly it smells good. Is it bad. Overall my boat is an 07 malibu and is very clean so I really rarely have to do anything but spray and wipe??
Old     (littletna)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-28-2009, 5:23 PM Reply   
Tom,
I'm sure your seats are fine but sometimes what you think is clean can actually get cleaner than it appears. Try the Exquisite. It works and conditions the vinyl as well. Check out the review.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-28-2009, 7:02 PM Reply   
I skeptically tried the exquisite cleaner and it really does rock. Better than the babes I was using before. I give it the nod .
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-28-2009, 8:34 PM Reply   
I keep reading thread after thread on this topic... here is a super simple tip that is guaranteed to get your vinyl cleaner than you can imagine w/o any any chemicals, sprays etc... Don't believe me... just try this.

Leave your boat out on a night with a heavy dew. Go out around 8:00 AM, well before the sun gets on it and wipe the vinyl down. The 12 hours of moisture just sitting on the vinyl loosens up the dirt in the grain and brings to to the surface. It is amazing.

I first found this at the Delta. I went to my boat around 7:30 and it was drenched with dew. After wiping it down, I was amazed at how clean it looked. Now I use this method regularly. Just did it 2 weeks ago and it works every time!

-Uj
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-28-2009, 8:56 PM Reply   
Nice other than the fact you have to worry about your crap getting jacked, bugs, bird crap, cats, racoons, and whatever else you don't want in your boat.

Me I'll keep cleaning the seats manually.
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-28-2009, 9:04 PM Reply   
I guess I am fortunate to live in a place where my biggest fear is the neighborhood cat. I do lock everything up though just in case.

Shore camping or houseboating also works well.

-Uj
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-28-2009, 9:05 PM Reply   
UncleJessie your tip sounds great, but if my boat is still in the driveway at 7:30 then I am late and wiping down is not an option.
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-28-2009, 9:09 PM Reply   
Ewing... dude it's 12:00AM EST... ha ha bored and up late cruzn ww... good stuff.

Yea, definitely some flaws to my idea as nu bu pointed out!

-Uj}
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-28-2009, 10:01 PM Reply   
I have cats in my neighborhood that spray and there is no way in hell I'm leaving my boat open for any critters to have a field day in. Not to mention the extended time frame with moisture on the upholstery will slowly rot the thread.... no good.

(Message edited by wake upppp on January 28, 2009)
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-28-2009, 10:07 PM Reply   
"I have cats in my neighborhood that spray"

LOL, how the hell do you know. Been a victim already. Sorry that statement just cracked me up. Can you imagine that nasty cat smell in your boat all summer. You pretty much have to throw anything away a cat sprays in, febreeze can't touch that stuff.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-29-2009, 12:02 PM Reply   
good to hear on new products..

susan and Exquisite Vinyl & leather Cleaner

I got this last year and i have a nine year old boat, so maybe it doesnt work as well for me but this doesnt really clean my vinyl very well but does an ok job .

i like to spray it on my hull and wipe it off after i get the boat out of the water and it does a good job there except it does leave a little tackier feel then i like afterwards..

It smells good and does a decent job but for me wasnt the solution.I use mostly soap and water or water and oxy clean but for the tough times i use LAstotally Awesome Cleaner and its a spray and wipe product as well.I do a 303 retorer/condtioner after to be safe because it could be harsh like stated above.

however ill try this Malco since it works so good and reccomended by a boat vinyl guy who does factory oem work..

Sounds great
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-29-2009, 12:11 PM Reply   
http://www.lastotallyawesome.com/householdchem.html#

ORIGINAL AWESOME CLEANER, DEGREASER & SPOT REMOVER

this is the one i am using now for tough cleaning..

(Message edited by bill on January 29, 2009)
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-29-2009, 12:14 PM Reply   
SparkyJay,

I hear on some of your points... but moisture rotting the thread... c'mon... it's a boat. The thread won't rot if they see dew 3 or 4 times a year...

My buddy goes camping around 10 weekends a summer and his boat sees dew every morning he stays at the lake. His BU is 12 yrs old and threads are fine.

-Uj
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-29-2009, 1:08 PM Reply   
^^^^ That's funny, gotta luv the internet...water rotting vinyl thread???? LOL.
Old     (tomfish)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-29-2009, 1:31 PM Reply   
ok Puto's I just got some of this exqusite stuff it better work.......LOL
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-29-2009, 2:00 PM Reply   
how do you get hooked up with the discount on Susans ebay store? is there a code or anything? i was going to try some.

(Message edited by brucemac on January 29, 2009)
Old     (tonality)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-29-2009, 3:46 PM Reply   
Arent the components of leather and vinyl completely different? I've heard a thousand times (and experienced a couple of times personally) that stuff that's good for leather is NOT good for vinyl...drying, cracking, etc. The two materials are completely different, and should by default require different methods/products. I'm inherently wary of anything that claims to be perfect for both.

Gotta go with Grant on this one, a good heavily diluted carwash/boatwash soap and some warm water with a soft mitt or *maybe* a vinyl brush for the tough spots are the best to use.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-29-2009, 5:25 PM Reply   
Moisture and thread are not a good combo. Of coarse every boat is going to see water. But it is taking it's toll over time. Anyone who doesen't think so is lying to themselves. The reason thread fails over the years is rot from moisture and people using generic cleaners not designed specificaly for the application. You can "go" with whoever you want but listening to proffesionals, who have been exposed to the results over the years, both good and bad, is the reliable way to "go".
Old     (acedistltd)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-29-2009, 8:49 PM Reply   
Bill, I am sorry you were not 'completely satisfied' with your purchase. You should have emailed me I stand behind my products, why don't you email me some pictures of your boat and maybe I can assess why the cleaner is only working ok for you.
Bruce, if you purchase from the ebay store but do not pay for it right away, you can send me a note through ebay saying you are a ww customer. I will provide you with the typical WW discount 20%. Or if you want to wait I will start my ebay store sale on Saturday where the discount will be taken automatically. For those of you looking to reorder just go ahead and email me at acedistributing@comcast.net.
Tony, you are absolutely correct about vinyl and leather being completely different. Leather is a skin and requires 'moisture' to be put on it to soak in regularly; typically this is called 'conditioning'. Vinyl is man made and does not require conditioning as does leather. With that said, a good quality surfactant, water based cleaner with no harsh chemicals will clean both surfaces well. The problem comes in that most cleaners for both surfaces are chemical based cleaners. As far as a chemical cleaner goes, leather and vinyl absolutely require completely different cleaners.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-30-2009, 6:44 AM Reply   
Susan ,

Im not tottaly dissatisfied with your product but it wasnt the be all end all of cleaners for me.

That said ive used it and still have some left so i wouldnt call or email asking for a refund or to say it didnt work.

I paid for it,used it,and it worked for the most part.

so i may not buy it again but im not that kind of person who would ask for a refund or something free since i used it all.

no big deal.