Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 25, 2006

Old     (raketball)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-28-2006, 2:22 PM Reply   
Hi All,

I jacked my knee up playing racquetball and I find out on Friday if I need surgery for a torn meniscus. I know it's a fairly simple procedure and I was wondering if any of you have had this done and how soon after you were wakeboarding? I have been told that I should be "back to normal" in 3-4 weeks. Any info/input would be greatly appreciated. Not looking for any info or stories on ACL/MCL tears as doc said I'm in good shape as far that goes. Thanks!!

Tim
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-28-2006, 2:43 PM Reply   
Tim-ay, bummer on that deal. I'll ride your new Platinum for you if your knee's blown up. Oh, about the meniscus, I've seen it go both ways. I've seen some people kinda suffer through it and others that were back to "normal" in a few days. I've damaged mine on a few occasions, but never bad enough to do anything about it, and it's always started to feel better after a few weeks.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-28-2006, 2:45 PM Reply   
Ahh dude thats nothing, you'll be fine in no time, just dont rush back in and take it easy for a little while. You gotta take care of your knees. Just listen to the doc, thats what he's payed for.
Old     (jim_b)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-28-2006, 7:22 PM Reply   
Tim I have had 2 surgeries for torn meniscus. 1 in 1987,1 in 1999 and now I'm in physical therapy again trying to avoid a 3rd surgery but I think a 3rd is in my near future. So far after both I was feeling good enough for action in 4 to 6 weeks.
Old     (centralcali)      Join Date: Jan 2005       03-28-2006, 8:39 PM Reply   
For you guys who have had meniscus problems, what does it feel like? About 5 weeks ago I cased the wake on a stupid 180 and felt a sharp pain in my knee. I didn't twist it at all, just impact. The doctor said that I just sprained it. My pain was that I couldn't straighten it out all the way out or bend it back much past 90 deg. I can walk fine if I just keep my motion within a certain range. Doing my own research on line, I think I may have done something to my meniscus. Does this sound like anything you guys experienced?

Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-28-2006, 9:05 PM Reply   
I had the same surgery. I was riding after a month, and going for tricks again after 2 months. Its not too painful, they tell you walk on it a lot directly after surgery.
Old     (raketball)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-28-2006, 9:22 PM Reply   
thanks for the info, guys. sounds like the recovery period will not be too bad if i do have to get the surgery.
Old     (jhertz27)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-30-2006, 7:50 AM Reply   
Tim, it depends on the type of tear. When I was in High School, I tore my lateral meniscus, it actually tore a flipped over so my knee was actually locked up for a few days. I had arthrescopic, but becase my tear was very bad it took me like 2-3 months till I was back to normal. If you just have a small rip/tear it should only be a few weeks. Good Luck!
Old    buckettim            03-30-2006, 8:31 AM Reply   
Get a CTI brace for you knee, it might or will help giving you support until you knee Strength is back to normal