Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2004

Old    choix            08-12-2004, 6:21 AM Reply   
Well, I've narrowed down my wakeboard search to either the LF Evo 142 or the O'brien Vision 140. I'm 6' 175lbs and would consider myself an intermediate rider. I am riding behind a boat that produces wake that is not exactly perfect for wakeboarding....oh, and I am also an advanced snowboarder, if that helps at all...

Any comments/words of wisdom you guys can give me is well appreciated.

Thanx,

John
Old     (catdaddy76)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-12-2004, 2:11 PM Reply   
I have the LF EVO and I think it is awsome!! Go for it. The graphics are cool and I also went with the EVO bindings that I think are great too.
Old     (tantrum20)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-12-2004, 2:29 PM Reply   
I'd go with the EVO... should be easier to ride
and maybe a bit more fun... if you like to be really aggressive and don't fear sharp edges, the vision is perfect for you... it won't be as loose but will hold killer edges into the wake...
Old    steve_chavez            08-12-2004, 3:48 PM Reply   
Dude, u guys don't kno what your doin. The O'brien vision is such a sick board, plp rag on it caus its an obrien. If u want a sick pro modle board at a good cost go with the vision. Altho if your lookin at the Evo the Vision would be too advanced of a board for u. Its comparable to the LF subject. Any way the vision fin alignment is sick, it has a "flat" spot on it so it spins really well on and off the water. I bought it at the start of this season and it is such a sick board, Jonathan's right it holds a super agressive edge. Its a blast to ride, but if your lookin at the Evo its probally a little too advanced for u. U should check out the Trip or Team LF boards. U will be able to progress more with those boards. Hope I helped
Old    steve_chavez            08-12-2004, 3:50 PM Reply   
o yea, look into the LF Alpha bindings. They are a steal for the price, and I think their safer than the Evo bindings caus u won't come out of em when u fall (prevents ankle and knee injeries)
Old    choix            08-12-2004, 3:57 PM Reply   
i only mentioned the lf evo because i got a chance to ride it while i was in canada and it was the only other board i'd ever ridden besides my old o'brien blunt.....i can get both of these boards for basically the same price and am looking to hopefully (*knockonwood*) not have to buy another board for at least 4-5 years...which board would serve me better as i progress?

also, i think the lf alpha bindings are a bit more $$ than i'm looking to spend (even with the deals on e-bay)...any info on the o'brien Link bindings??
Old    choix            08-12-2004, 4:04 PM Reply   
p.s. as a side thought, what about the o'brien player?
Old    steve_chavez            08-12-2004, 4:10 PM Reply   
how much do u ride? caus if your riding an obrien blunt the Evo would be a little more of a subtle of a change for u. And i believe its design is similer to a LF Squirt, and i kno that board will take u past flips
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       08-12-2004, 4:22 PM Reply   
I've ridden the vision since it first came out and love it. It's very fast, holds a strong edge and lots of pop. Spins really nice as well. All the qualities I look for in a board. I use the Obrien Ion's with it.
Old    choix            08-12-2004, 4:36 PM Reply   
i get out maybe ten times a summer, but i'm looking to get a wet-suit and seriously extend my season..

my o'brien blunt is old...its a '99...and after riding the evo, i can seriously tell that my equipment is holding me back...if the evo is just a subtle change from the blunt, i think i'd want to go with the vision...i'm looking to get the full benefit of 6 years of wakeboard industry r&d..
Old     (seedickride)      Join Date: Jan 2001       08-12-2004, 4:58 PM Reply   
Between the Evo, the Vision, and the Player for you John, I'd say go with the Vision, then the Player, then the Evo. As a snowboarder, I think you'd really like the Vision (or the Player without the center fin). The Vision is going to feel faster than both the Player and the Evo. The Player and Evo will get similar pop as the Vision. The Evo is great on calm water, but can be a bit of a bear on choppy water, unless you run a deeper fin. If you want really solid tracking, the Player will be your best choice.

Mike Dick
See Dick Ride Wakeboards
www.seedickride.com
(701)682-5515
mike@seedickride.com
Old    tommyj16            08-12-2004, 5:13 PM Reply   
I ride the evo and love it..this board will not hold you back at all. However dont get the evo bindings, if you come out of them the rivits will gash your feet up pretty bad. I got ten scars before i finally broke down and got the Ultras.
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-12-2004, 6:27 PM Reply   
What? Your evo's were fitting improperly then. I ride Evo's and have never been cut once. They're so snug, and they've held up really well over the last 2 seasons. I'd definately recommend the Evo bindings. Sweet bindings.
Old    buttacup            08-12-2004, 8:45 PM Reply   
I went from an Evo (02) to a Vision (03) and I'm far from an intermediate/adv rider but prefer the vision over the evo. For me, the vision carves better and isn't too loose either. I've ridden it finless but it's very slippery that way.
Old    sk8joe01            08-12-2004, 8:54 PM Reply   
VISION!! all the way, i ride the slider base version with ultras and its SiCk! Stephen's rite that its just put down cause its a o'brien, i almost ddn't buy it cause of that (i was riding hyperlite), but now i'm glad i did get it. After my premier it felt a little tight on the water, but its cool, the landings are real nice and it pops every bit as good as the 3stage in my premier. I'm only a intermediate (cant even flip yet ) and i can ride it absolutly fine, so don't worry about it being to advanced, specially cause you snoboard and already know how to edge right.
anyways, for all this talk, i'd say go with the vision, itt'l last you longer

ps, be careful when setting it down, the tips are evil and will attack your feet!
Old    steve_chavez            08-12-2004, 10:43 PM Reply   
Just a heads up if u go with the vision ( u should its a sick board) The tip/tale will kill your feet, but they chip easy too. So if u can get a good warrenty on the board its worth it. Mines chiped and split abit to the point that i'm gonna have to get a new one at the end of the season ( its covered so its not a big deal). Just don't want u to get the shaft if somthing breaks on it and u arn't covered. Just my opinion
Old    sk8joe01            08-13-2004, 6:43 AM Reply   
it would be loser but still nice if you get the .9" tactic fins instead of the stock 1.1"s.
Old    choix            08-13-2004, 7:31 AM Reply   
Hey,
Thanx for all of the info and opinions, guys. You've been soooo helpful...I'm definately going to go with the vision...It sounds like its a board that will still be adequete for me as a keep progressing throughout the years...OH, and sk8joe01, I'm pretty sure I am getting the .9" tactic fins...

Anyways...now onto the subject of bindings...Different manufactor's bindings are interchangable on different manufactors's boards, correct? Just wanna make sure....So how about a new debate...LF Evo (bindings) VS. O'brien Link Bindings???
Old    ss_lxi            08-13-2004, 8:20 AM Reply   
LF EXO bindings, best binding made. Have you seen
what some of the pros do on the Evo, if you can't progress with the Evo its not the board its the rider. I'm 6' 180 lbs and ride the Evo 138 w/EXO,
great setup. You might want to demo the Balance 140, it tracks awsome and has great pop. A good shop will apply your demo charges to your purchace, I wouldn't buy a board you haven't ridden.
Old    choix            08-13-2004, 8:47 AM Reply   
i WOULD demo a board.....if there was any place within like a 200 mile radius that even demoed boards...
Old     (lugwrench)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-13-2004, 10:43 AM Reply   
Riding the blunt John? Awesome that’s what I started on! I picked up a player after that and rode it for a year, without the center fin it was a great board, just a little slow in my opinion but it made huge improvements in my ridding over the blunt. I traded it in this year for a demented and I like the demented even more. It took some getting used to for the continuous rocker but I the landings are incredibly forgiving. I've never ridden the vision but I've heard nothing but good things about it. As far as bindings I wouldn't get the link bindings, they just didn't have the adjustment or support I was looking for. This is just my opinion but I thought systems and the ions were much more secure and more adjustable but also felt much more durable. Take it for what its worth its just nice to see more people giving O’Brien a try.
Old    sk8joe01            08-13-2004, 12:14 PM Reply   
uullltttrrraaaa ssuucctttiooonnnsss, tho if your going obrien all the way i've heard good things about the ions