Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 21, 2007

Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       01-23-2007, 6:32 PM Reply   
OK- So I love boarding and Skiing and my wife gave me and a buddy a trip to "camp" this summer- haven't settled on a particular camp, but I wanted to know if this is just stupid or what? As a 40yr old- is this just wacked? Anyone else do this at my age? Thanks- keep the "old man" jokes to a minimum if it's possible.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-23-2007, 6:38 PM Reply   
You have a very cool wife, enjoy your camp.
Old     (lka__supra24ssv)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-23-2007, 7:18 PM Reply   
Will,

I am in my late 30's. If you decide on a camp on the east coast let me know, maybe I can get another guy together and we can have a old guys week.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-23-2007, 7:39 PM Reply   
I don't think age has anything to do with it, aside from the fact that as people get older, they seem to grow scared of injury...except for John Anderson. He's a pimp.

Are you willing to risk gettin hurt to advance your riding?

If you really want to take advantage of the camp, you'll have to be willing to huck yourself toward your riding goals. Trying new stuff means taking the risk of getting hurt.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       01-24-2007, 5:15 AM Reply   
LKA- we haven't picked a week yet- but we are looking at the Wakeboard Camp- (The Book guys) probably in late May? I'll keep you posted! My Buddy who's going with me is 39 and I'm 40. Jarrod- spoken like an invincible <30 year old !! I'm willing to push it pretty hard and I've suffered a broken ankle landing a tantrum, 2 concussions trying to land 3's( which I finally made, but now wear a helmet like in my bio pic)- but I don't relish the tought of doing it again!
Old    xtremebordgurl            01-24-2007, 6:01 AM Reply   
When I went there was a guy there in his late 40's and he fit in just fine. I went to the Boarding School with Shaun and Travis. Don't even think twice about age. Just go and have fun, you won't regret it!
Old     (o2binvallarta)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-24-2007, 7:54 AM Reply   
I'm turning 40 December of this year and when my wife asked about a party and/or gift I said I wanted a week of wakeboaring camp! I'm with Jarrod, I don't think age has anything to do with wanted to become a better rider and hang out with cool people while doing it. "You're only as old as you feel". I plan on arriving at wakeboard camp feeling 20 and leaving feeling 75!
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-24-2007, 8:19 AM Reply   
Even if you arent wanting to push it real hard, you can always make your existing tricks better by adding more style. Look at Ben Greenwood, IMO, he can make a HS 180 look better than some of the younger guys throwing Mobes.

BTW, I'm 38 and would love for my wife to give me a trip like that. Probably why she wont is because I still act like I'm 21...
Old     (ldebbold)      Join Date: Jun 2006       01-24-2007, 2:31 PM Reply   
Wow, a question I can actually answer. Will, I went to Mike Schwenne's West Coast Camp last June when I was 56. I'm pretty new to the sport and just wanted to learn some things to reduce the severity of my falls. The camp was awesome. My riding improved. I beat the #$%^ out of myself because I was having so much fun. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Oh yeah, the falling part. I'm falling harder (but I've got a helmet now)

(Message edited by ldebbold on January 24, 2007)
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-24-2007, 3:10 PM Reply   
I went on my 38th birthday. No better way to spend your birthday than wakeboarding for 6 hours!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       01-24-2007, 3:57 PM Reply   
14 the first time
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-24-2007, 4:42 PM Reply   
I am going in a couple weeks to the boarding school... 26 years old... going to learn and have a good time..
Old     (wakeboarder2687)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-24-2007, 6:26 PM Reply   
I went for a couple sets at the wakeboard camp last spring break at 19, it was awesome. I plan on going somewhere soon for a week. Whats typical weather in the orlando area in late february? Water temps? Hoping for near 70*, is that unreasonable? Anyone have experience at both The wakeboard camp and The boarding school? Thanks
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-25-2007, 6:33 AM Reply   
Patrick, the water temps will probably be in the mid 60's depending on what the air is doing at the time. If a cold front comes through and stays a while, the temps will be low 60's. If its been warm for a few weeks, high 60's.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-25-2007, 6:58 AM Reply   
Wife and I were 34 at the Boarding School...went for our 10th anniversary. Travis and Shaun were fun and the 3 other guys were nice too. The two dudes from Portugal could really rip.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-25-2007, 8:44 AM Reply   
Took my son last year for 4 days 4 sets a day and I was 46. I'd have gone if I was 66. Never too old.
Old     (redhedstepchild)      Join Date: May 2003       01-25-2007, 10:58 AM Reply   
33. money well spent! you won't regret doing it, but you'll probably regret it if you don't.
Old     (wakeboarder2687)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-25-2007, 3:09 PM Reply   
Thanks Byrd! That helps me a lot, a lot of my riding time is in the 60s anyway, so should be great.
Old     (jmuthafnp)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-26-2007, 6:23 AM Reply   
Went to The Boarding School at age 33, heading back in March at age 34. If you are considering one to go to, go to Shaun and Travis'. Good times will be had by all.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       01-26-2007, 6:44 AM Reply   
Are there any good schools in the West that aren't just "Kid Camps"? I've seen the houseboat camp- looks cool, but it seems to be set up for kids- may have to send my boys there! Thanks for all of the feedback! I'm really looking forward to going !
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-26-2007, 7:10 AM Reply   
Will, don't worry about the age. There was no one over 16 when I went with my son. Just show them you can get worked with the best of them. I did and had a blast.
Old     (wakechick418)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-26-2007, 7:19 AM Reply   
I was just at The Boarding School this past fall with a couple, Edwinna 68, and Leon 70. Age definitely doesn't matter!
Old     (o2binvallarta)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-26-2007, 8:12 AM Reply   
Will5150, not sure about other west coast camps, but THE West Coast Wakeboard Camp is only for ages 10-24 except for 3 of their weeks (according to their web page). That's why I'm going with The Boarding School, year round with no age limits...
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-26-2007, 9:00 AM Reply   
Have been to several camps in FL and CA. THE BEST BY FAR IS WEST COAST CAMPS. Mike Schwenne & crew have it, wakeboard camp & houuseboat vacation all rolled into one. Best coaching, best accomidations, best food, and best entertainment. Went there last year in June (same week as Les, what up dude!), had a ridiculous amount of fun, rode so much that I had blisters on my palms, and took home some new skills and great memories. http://www.westcoastcamps.com

One of the things that I noticed, that made the difference for me was that at the camps in FL, when you were done riding in the AM or PM, the coaches bolted, and you were left to chill in the game/dorm room. That was O.K., but sometimes I felt like the coaches were more intersted in finishing the set so that they could go do their own thing. At WestCoastCamps you live with the coaches on the houseboats, and they are as excited about it as you are. Wakeboarding & fun 24/7.

BTW - I was 34 the first time I went to a camp, 35 the second time, 38 the third time, and last year, 39.

(Message edited by socalwakepunk on January 26, 2007)
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       01-26-2007, 2:27 PM Reply   
I'm 40and will be going to the Boarding School next month---I've been there before. It is the best camp for people our age. The accomodations are great, very relaxed, fun and laid back. The teaching is excellent--you will go away a much better rider!!!! The atmosphere is non-intimidating and humorous. Go!! Have fun!!!!!
Old     (jmuthafnp)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-26-2007, 4:09 PM Reply   
What's happening Chuck? What week are you going to be there? I will be there the week of March 4th, hope to ride with you again. Get a hold of me.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-26-2007, 4:46 PM Reply   
Chuck!!!! I'll be giving you a call (wanna ride next weekend?)
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-27-2007, 8:56 AM Reply   
What's the water temps in Orlando right now? Going to the boarding camp in a week...
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       01-27-2007, 7:25 PM Reply   
I looked up the Boarding School and that seems pretty cool- we'll definitely check that out- Does Shawn Murray actually get there often?
Old     (fill_er_up)      Join Date: May 2006       01-28-2007, 6:10 AM Reply   
Greg, my lake was 59.5 on the ppass gauge yesterday (mid-size lake, average depth 16ft). We had some cold nights which dropped the water temp and the outlook is for nights in the mid 40s(air) which will keep the water cold but warming around Thursday. I think they are on a deeper lake which takes longer to warm. Be prepared and it wont slow you down at all. Enjoy
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-28-2007, 10:45 AM Reply   
haha I' up in Muskoka... god I was out in the water with no wetsuit when the water was in mid 60's.....

I think late season I was in the water with a shorty on with water at about 62 or so..
Old     (jmuthafnp)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-28-2007, 1:27 PM Reply   
Shaun is there everyday.
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       01-28-2007, 7:06 PM Reply   
Unless Shaun is traveling--photo shoot or other sponsor related commitment--you will hang with/learn from/possibly ride with Shaun. I guarantee you will have a great/memorable trip. Besides Shaun, Travis and Kyle, you never know who may stop by for a pull--Keith Lyman, Trevor Hansen, Emily Copeland......and the list goes on!
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-28-2007, 7:18 PM Reply   
I went to TWC when I was 39. I was one of the older boarders but no the oldest and most everyone there was over 30 (we went in May; before the end of the school year). I recommend going just try not to hurt yourself -- people were dropping like flies the week I was there.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       01-29-2007, 9:02 AM Reply   
GD- We're definitley going.. the feedback has been very supportive on this post- THANKS EVERYONE! Now we just need to figure out where and when- we're thinking late May so we can come home and use some of the stuff we learn- and fitness wise, I'll be in better shape by then to take full advantage of the riding. I live in Minneapolis now and as you would expect- we won't be out from under the ice until April, so that should give me at least a month to prepare. I definitley don't wont to get hurt- been there, done that. thanks again everyone!