Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-21-2010, 3:38 PM Reply   
Assuming my boat is winterized properly and under a roof (kind of like a carport), will it do anything to just leave it there all winter or should I be looking for climate controlled storage again?

I am in Seattle so it gets chilly but generally not the prolonged hard freezes of some other places

Thanks

Bakes
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-21-2010, 5:29 PM Reply   
You are fine. No need for heated storage if winterized properly. Put a few tupperware containers full of charcoal in it to suck any moisture out of the air inside the cover. Also make sure you have a good coat of wax on to protect the gel from fading if it is still exposed to sun. Some guys around here put wax on around then wipe it off in spring.
Old     (packrat)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-22-2010, 12:59 AM Reply   
Depends on how much work you want to do in the spring. I too live in Seattle and I would suggest you take all the seat cushions out of the boat and place them in the house. Good time to clean them off and put 303 on them too. The benefit is that this will also create more circulation under where the cushions were. The charcoal idea is a good one, but if you have the ability to have a power cord go to the boat also consider adding one of those west marine 110volt air dryers which will ventilate and somewhat heat the boat to prevent mold. If you have a tower I would wrap the boat cover boots around the tower with 3" painters tape to keep water from running down the tower leg under the boat cover. If there is water in the boat before you store it take a shop vac and get as much of the water as you can.
Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-22-2010, 11:45 AM Reply   
Thanks for the seat cushion idea. I'll hang them from the ceiling the garage. It will not get rained on since it has a roof overhead. Really just want to make sure that the cold will not destroy things come spring time.

I would like to have a power hookup but no such luck.

thanks

Bakes
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-22-2010, 11:51 AM Reply   
Over 20 yrs of boating in Seattle. The cold wasn't as much of an issue as with the moisture. We also put some thing in the boat to help keep things dry. For instance, Dry-z-air containers (any RV shop, Fred Meyer, etc.), some kind of fan (West Marine), and spray Scotchguard on the cover. You can still get plenty of rain & snow on the boat in a carport when the wind kicks up.
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       11-22-2010, 12:39 PM Reply   
I'm going to dissent from popular opinion here, depending on how nice your boat is in the first place. I had been looking for a used boat for quite a few months last spring and all through summer. It's really, really easy to tell when a boat has been left outside (even covered, even under a carport) in this area. Even with a covered carport, you still get moisture which turns to mold/mildew. It gets between all the seat cushions and it stains the threads. People use vinyl cleaner and/or bleach to remove it. When they use bleach it damages the upholstery and after even only one or two applications, bright white vinyl starts getting the yellowed look. The carpet never smells the same after it's been molded as well.

The suggestions for using dry z air or otherwise are good, but it can take only a couple of days to a week to fill up/use up one around here! So you have to check it often and replace the crystals or whatever.

I looked at a supposedly "babied" moomba which was kept under a carport. The guy had tarps around it as well so water couldn't blow in from the sides. He had a small heater (not sure it was marine specific) going all the time (supposedly) and he still had mold (of course he tried to clean/hide it).

If you winterize your boat, I'm not too worried about the freezing, it's the moisture that will kill you.

I had an old mastercraft that was kept out like you describe. In addition to the mold/mildew/freezing concerns, we also had "cat" problems. They snuck in and slept on the boat cover. Then they peed on it.
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       11-22-2010, 6:33 PM Reply   
Bakes - Off topic but why are you using the name of a local to you dealer?
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-22-2010, 8:45 PM Reply   
Yeah really? Can you tell us if you are in any way affiliated with THE Bakes Marine in Issaquah just for clarrification.
Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-22-2010, 10:48 PM Reply   
I've been "bakes" since at least 1989. I am in no way affiliated with bakes marine. Just a dude trying to keep riding through the winter. I would like one of their stickers though
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       11-22-2010, 10:52 PM Reply   
I also live in Seattle and keep my boat in heated indoor storage for the winter. It costs more, but then owning a nice boat is expensive and I want to take the best care of it that I can.
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       11-23-2010, 8:14 AM Reply   
Bakes- Glad to hear you know Bakes marine. If you want a sticker go in and talk to paul tell him your the bake from WW and he will hook you up. I was asking to make sure there was no confusion. Bakes is an awsome company to work with and you would be hard pressed to find better customer service..
Old     (gregtay)      Join Date: Aug 2008       11-25-2010, 8:31 AM Reply   
I keep my Malibu in my garege at my house... but some friends of mine and I have been thinking trying to find a big warehouse somewhere between Lk WA and Sammamish and set up an indoor boat storage place for all those people who want to keep their boats out of the rain. Nothing fancy.. and the idea would be to keep it as cheap as possible. Not sure it will pencil out.. but its at least an idea. If just kills me to see boats sittng out in the seattle rain all winter.