Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-28-2008, 4:07 PM Reply   
I have been running my boat since the middle of may with no issues. Fast forward today, I was towing my brother on the wakeboard, and about half way through the set (10 minutes into it) the motor started to sputter and come in and out of power. I pulled the throttle back to neutral and the RPM's were really low and the engine sounded like it was going to die out, and a few seconds later it just died.

It woulnd't start up right away after, but if I gave it 5 min it started back up again and I could drive for about 30 seconds and it would die again.

Does it sound fuel related or electrical?

I also noticed my fuel and volt gauge went to 0 when all of this was happening and stayed there for about 10 seconds. I have been having an on/off issue with those gauges since the start where they go in and out at random, but I have been unable to diagnose the issue.
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-28-2008, 6:56 PM Reply   
I guess it would help to know what engine model do you have and if it's fuel injected or Carbureted.
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-28-2008, 7:16 PM Reply   
Its a 1995 Mercruiser 5.7L Carbed.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-28-2008, 7:46 PM Reply   
I'm leaning more towards fuel, but it could be ignition as well with the few symptoms you described. Could be as simple as a plugged fuel filter.
Old     (garman)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-28-2008, 8:27 PM Reply   
It sounds like a fuel issue, but since the guages went out at the same time, I'd definitely not rule out electrical problem. I once had corrosion on the main circuit breaker on top engine (5.7l also) that gave me intermittent issues. Had to replace it.. It's the one that looks like a red button... 50amp if I remember correctly. Also had the coil give me problems (Look for oil leaking out of the coil). Other than that, I'd check/wiggle all the wiring connections that you can find. You never know... it may be as simple as that.
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-29-2008, 7:47 AM Reply   
Chad, how can you check the main circuit break for issues?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-29-2008, 9:43 AM Reply   
I'd start with the fuel filter, like sparky suggested. When was current fuel filter put it? I'd put my $$ on the fuel filter.

Gauges sound like a different issue. typically a loose ground behind the dash when several work intermittently or go out at the same time.

Circuit breaker may have corrosion/rust. You could pull the wires and wire brush them off, and reinstall.

If you have a water separator on your fuel line, i'd check that as well.
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-29-2008, 9:50 AM Reply   
thanks.

I just change the fuel/water seperator but can't find the fuel filter. I followed the lines from the fuel pump into the carb but its all through a hard line. Could the filter be in the carb?
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-29-2008, 10:07 AM Reply   
Some carbs have a small screen or filter in the inlet fitting. Many older boats have only the fuel/water seperator. Most newer boats have an inline filter between the tank and fuel pump.
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-29-2008, 11:01 AM Reply   
I took the fuel inlet lines off of the carb and looked in, and didn't see any normal size fuel filters, all I saw was a small screen in the vertical position that was about a 1/4 of the size of the entire opening. I assume that is the only filter in there?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-29-2008, 11:25 AM Reply   
it's before the pump. follow the line back toward the tank. sometimes on the port stringer area.
Old     (dclarke)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-29-2008, 12:19 PM Reply   
I HAD THIS PROBLEM A FEW YEARS AGO. THERE ARE TWO FUEL FILTERS ONE MARINE ONE AND A REGULAR CAR ONE. REPLACED THE CAR ONE RAN FINE THE REST OF THE SUMMER.
Old     (tdiggity)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-29-2008, 3:07 PM Reply   
could be the accelerator pump on your carb, if you throttle it and it falls on its face or is hard starting i wouldnt rule out needing the carb rebuilt, or having bad gas
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-29-2008, 3:21 PM Reply   
I looked all over today and no inline fuel filter anywhere, from the tank to the fuel/water seperator. Im guessing there isn't one on mine.
Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-29-2008, 5:35 PM Reply   
Take a look at your cap and rotor also.
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-29-2008, 6:32 PM Reply   
did the cap and rotor last week, as well as new plugs and new wires.

Just replaced the coil today and it seems to start up better which is a good sign, but will have to test it more to make sure it doesn't die anymore.