Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 26, 2006

Old     (lumpy9138)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-02-2006, 3:54 AM Reply   
Well I'm seriously considering the big jump of buying my own boat. I know I can afford the payments, insurance, gas, etc... What I want to know is all the little things that may nickel and dime me to death. (props, rope, etc...)

I would like to hear your thoughts on some things that are important that I may be forgetting.
Old    kc700            11-02-2006, 4:30 AM Reply   
Lots and lots of stupid female passengers....although very essential and eyepleasing as they may be...constantly spilling beer and stepping all over the upholstery with utter disdain for you boats very well being.This may in fact do more than nickel and dime you. Also beware of letting anyone drive your boat...for some reason, anyone ..and i do mean anyone (this includes your most favorite brosef) will at sometime fail to treat your boat as you (the payment absorbing owner) would have intended and will do something rather rash...I.E hitting a peice of drift wood or running the prop aground...be warned, anything that can or may cost money will occur, and more often than you think...boats are a liability not an asset.....much like a pinto...that floats and attracts women.
Old     (fuzzball)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-02-2006, 4:38 AM Reply   
Having a boat is a great time, but just remember the old stand by, "A boat is a hole in the water you throw money into." Even so, the stuff you really need to worry about is how crazy you will go with all of the extras out there. You can spend a ton putting bling on your boat before you realize how much you've spent. Make a list of what you want to do before you buy and you'll get a good idea. But good luck with the purchase, it'll be a great time!
Old     (erik)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-02-2006, 4:58 AM Reply   
oil changes and other maintenance stuff adds up quick. time too. crew might help you wipe down/clean the boat, but after a while excuses and excuses will have you cleaning the boat alone.
Old     (dbjts)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-02-2006, 5:44 AM Reply   
The best two days of boat ownership are the day you buy and the day you sell. All other days with a Y in them cost you money.
Old     (derf1956)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-02-2006, 6:01 AM Reply   
But you can't take it with you when you go so enjoy it now. No one has told a lie but they all have boats;-)
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       11-02-2006, 6:53 AM Reply   
annual fees for registration for the boat and trailer; some states levy a property tax on the boat.

Boat covers - gotta protect that investment

Remember that TV ad where the old guy is talking about riding a motorcycle and the kids say..., "Grandpa, you owned a Harley?" and he says "No, we bought aluminum siding instead"

That helps me answer the "is it worth it?" question
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       11-02-2006, 7:27 AM Reply   
Dont forget storage.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       11-02-2006, 7:31 AM Reply   
Not really hidden, but underestimated....gas. Especially when it was $3/gallon. I could burn an easy $300-400/month. And that was just riding on weekends.
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-02-2006, 7:48 AM Reply   
BOAT- Bust Out Another Thousand
Old    redneckonaboard06            11-02-2006, 7:50 AM Reply   
Insurance
Fuel
Don't forget tow vehicle fuel costs
Lodging or camping
Insurance
registration
Day use fee's, or yearly passes
oil and other misc. fluids
trailer servicing
cleaning supplies
storage
food and drinks for a day on the water or weekend
life jackets and other floaties, noodles are a cheap way to make sure your life jackets stay yours.
props (or in my case damaged skeg (i/o))
anchors
rope
bumpers
I'm sure there are somethings I'm missing.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-02-2006, 8:06 AM Reply   
what jarrod said...

add in:
- stereo
- extra ballast
- and more gas

the absolute best boat in the world is a friend or neighbors boat...

(Message edited by clubmyke on November 02, 2006)
Old    redneckonaboard06            11-02-2006, 8:17 AM Reply   
DOH! I didn't even think about the stereo, boards, bindings, ropes. Well also board racks, don't forget the led's either! HAHA
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-02-2006, 8:20 AM Reply   
beer
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       11-02-2006, 8:38 AM Reply   
needing to feed people on the day on the lake and then having to feed them when you drop the boat back at home. food plus drinks 150 bucks hamburgers and hot dogs plus more drinks 150 bucks. a 400 a month payment 100 bucks for gas then you get back 40 from people. 80 bucks to fill up the truck or suv. insurance oil changes and that stupid lux tax once a year. launch fees having to buy all sizes of life vest expencive and different size bindings a bigger tube, but at the end its all worth it to see your family and friends enjoy the day on the lake.the best feeling you get is when you get your kids,friends or family up on the board or skis for the first time.if you can afford it do it because you only get one shot at this game of life so enjoy it.
Old    redneckonaboard06            11-02-2006, 8:46 AM Reply   
I'll chime in again. The best part of it all is after a day or weekend on the water, the folks with ya, say thanks and I had a freakin' blast. That right there makes it all worth while, even if I'm frontin' the funds on everything.
Old     (san210nut)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-02-2006, 8:56 AM Reply   
If you want to maintain a good relationship with your dealer you are talking letting them perform all the services including 20 hour, 100 hr, etc. You don't have to do this, but it's a whole lot easier getting them on your side in a warranty issue/debate/claim...

Don't forget storage fees. Even if you have extra space in the garage your still most likely giving that space up for something else.

Don't forget the cost of giving up your weekends so that you can use that boat every chance you get. You will feel guilty if you let it set there a weekend and you just made that $400 payment, plus all the other related fees.

BASICALLY, BUYING A BOAT IS LIFESTYLE CHANGE IMO, unless you are rich!!

You should ask some of the people who have their boats for sale in the classifieds section that aren't even a year old yet why they are selling. I bet that will open your eyes to other possible problems...
Old     (kevin_lsv23)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-02-2006, 9:01 AM Reply   
Wow Jarrod, now I know why I am so broke right now. We moved to the lake this summer and bought a new boat. And to think I had been blaming it on moving expenses. Don't forget sales/exise tax. Depending on the state they collect it different. Nothing more fun than writing a check for 3 grand for sticker for the side of your boat.
Old    redneckonaboard06            11-02-2006, 9:33 AM Reply   
You're not kidding. Damn luxury taxes here in Arkansas can bite my ass!
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-02-2006, 9:37 AM Reply   
quote: oil changes and other maintenance stuff adds up quick. time too. crew might help you wipe down/clean the boat, but after a while excuses and excuses will have you cleaning the boat alone.

Time for new crew erik! I'm a regular third with some friends in AZ and I have only missed 1 post-outing cleaning. I guess your crew may have something I haven't got (ie breasts) which is why you're so tolerant!

Funny how some people have got enough time to go boating but not enough to help clean.
Old     (jaybird)      Join Date: May 2006       11-06-2006, 11:46 PM Reply   
I bet I have only put ten to twelve grand into my boat in the last 5 years thats after the purchase price of 2000.00 yes thats 2 grand and I have never had a problem cuting that check for insedentels I.E new lower end new motor new upholstory, tower, sterio, swim platform ,carpet ,seats ,integrated CO2 beer despencing system for the kegs of beer on tap (makes KILLER ballast) O ya a killer paint job (if I do say so myself)
Dont worry chris hell just go for it I have owned three of the beasts so far and I would NEVER go back to the shore. at any cost.... well maybe not ANY cost
JJ
Old     (longhornfan)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-07-2006, 1:45 PM Reply   
Talkin' 'bout never goin' back to shore again. My bayliner crapped on me in July but I figured no problem I can ride with the in-laws behind their crownline. I did get a lot of riding time in that I appreciated but too much time on the beach. I like to ride 'till I can't stand up. Go to a beach at Kaw Lake in OK and look at all the 60k or over boats just tied to the beach all day while the owners drink beer and throw horse shoes. I guarantee you I enjoy my 6,500 dollar bayliner more than they enjoy they're floating stereo systems. God I can't wait 'till I can ride again.
Old     (longhornfan)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-07-2006, 1:47 PM Reply   
Oh yeah, the hidden cost for replacing that piston and the bearing it rides on is gonna' be about 1000 to 1500. Luckily my father-in-law's good friends with the best mechanic around and I'm only paying for parts and not labor too.
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-07-2006, 2:24 PM Reply   
How about a reliable and capable Tow Vehicle. I had a '98 F150 that I used for just putting the boat in the water. 5K miles in 5 years. It had 88k on it when I bought it. It was killing me whenever I towed the boat more than an hour away. I upgraded this week to an 07 Titan 4x4 LE. $39,000...not really a hidden cost.
Old    nocky            11-07-2006, 2:38 PM Reply   
It's a bit scary when you think about it....

My crew pays their way for boat fuel (approx $12AU per ride).... but when I added up the other costs of running the boat (rego, insurance, servicing) and divided by how many rides were had for the season, I worked out that we subsidised each rider $15AU per go!! (Not including towing costs or depreciation).

On the flipside I choose to own the boat and that gives me the flexibility of going out whenever I want and not waiting for an invite from someone else....

The Australian Boating Council used to have a slogan "Life's better with a boat".... I think "You're always poorer with a boat" or "Life's better when your mate has a boat" would be more appropriate....
Old    redneckonaboard06            11-07-2006, 2:41 PM Reply   
Actually Mike it could be for those who trailer quite bit, especially if its very far away. Gotta look at more frequent trans. flushes, making sure to keep fresh gear oil in the rear end, maybe even more rapid wear on the brakes.

Or if your upgrading your current vehicle for towing duty: Larger trans cooler, w/ fan. and other misc. items.
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-07-2006, 2:46 PM Reply   
jarrod,

I know exactly what you are talking about. I had to have new brakes and a new transmission put in it this year. Then it wasn't running well again and had to replace 2 coils. That was the last straw. I couldn't let it break down and have to leave the boat on a country road somewhere in Kentucky.
Old     (san210nut)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-07-2006, 2:50 PM Reply   
Tires, specially if you only 2wd like me. Sometimes if the ramp is slimey I have to roast them up the ramp.
Old    redneckonaboard06            11-07-2006, 2:56 PM Reply   
Yup. I'm also gonna be dropping some coin on my rig this winter for a gear swap and also add another trans cooler with fan in line with the factory. My 2,300lb run about w/out trailer and gear is just a lil more weight than my 5.3 likes when I already lugging 35's with the factory 3.73's.
Old     (garman)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-07-2006, 4:30 PM Reply   
Never forget... a boat (or any vehicle for that matter) is not an investment. It is an expense... plain and simple.
Old     (surfnfury65)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-07-2006, 7:06 PM Reply   
$100 for fuel
$7-15 for launch
$50-100 for food(family of 6)
That is for the day.
Figure $2000-$5000 for a decent stereo
Wakesurf boards $1000
Wakesurf rack $350
Wakeboards $500
Vests $500
Ropes $300-$500
Fat sacs and pump $250
Concrete pad and driveway $4500
Twelve foot gate with fence $2000 (you could always store at $100 a month if you don't have the room for a pad.)
Luxury tax $450 (CA)
Insurance $32. monthly
Maint. $200-$1000 depending on how handy you are.
Used RV $35,000(because the wife doesn't like the delta)
It costs way more to own a boat than I ever thought BUT worth every penny for the hours and hours of fun spent with family and friends.
Board More/Work Less!
J$
Old     (neffro)      Join Date: Jul 2005       11-07-2006, 7:11 PM Reply   
All this money =
a good time with familey and friends
!!!!!PRICELESS!!!!!!
Old     (bruce)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-07-2006, 8:04 PM Reply   
If you like wadding up $100 bills and flshinug them down the toilet, then owning a boat will be tons of fun. Buy used, pay cash, and wear it out!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       11-07-2006, 8:05 PM Reply   
Just looking at our itemized finances last night.

In the last 13 months, we averaged $900 per month for gas. Roughly 80% of that was truck and boat gas. Some months, I swimped my card for nearly $1200.00 in fuel. My regulars kick down $20.00 a set, but some days it just doesn't work out.
Old     (surfnfury65)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-07-2006, 8:26 PM Reply   
I thought I was the only one with a $1000 Chevron bill from Boating.
J$
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       11-07-2006, 11:05 PM Reply   
Don't forget you may need a new tow rig. Is your current vehicle capable of towing a boat? If not you may need to upgrade.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-08-2006, 6:04 AM Reply   
J-Rod, That is a lot of gas. I think during the summer I spent $2500 and maybe got a 1/3 back from my friends.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-08-2006, 7:10 AM Reply   
How many hours was that J-Rod? $10,800 seems like a lot for one calendar year! Maybe you got to put a ton of hours on your boat though.
Old     (bigworm)      Join Date: Dec 2004       11-15-2006, 1:14 AM Reply   
id say the biggest cost is if you want to make youre boat stand out above the rest it will cost alot! i myself keep trying to think of new ideas to make my boat different and they it never is cheap.
Old     (jasonj)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-20-2006, 6:46 PM Reply   
Hey all,

These are all problems I have with owning too. I may have a solution for some of you in Southern California, I am getting 2 or 3 boats in the next 30 days and starting a membership club. Members join, get annual points, use those points to check out the boats. And I'm not talking Bayliners or Sea Ray's, looking at Centurion Avalanche and MC X1. They will have CD and iPod hookups, ballast, v-drives, etc. Pretty decked out for those that want the joy of ownership without the hassle. You take it and bring it back; we store it, clean it, maintain it, and give you a full tank of gas. You just can't wreck it or I will cry! If you are interested email me at jjinsc1@dslextreme.com for some details. We will also have Wave Runners as well!

We provide the toys, but you have to provide your own hot women. Sorry guys!

Jason
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-21-2006, 7:56 AM Reply   
Jason, sounds like someone already had the same idea, check out PowerToyRentals.com.
Old     (jasonj)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-21-2006, 6:33 PM Reply   
Hey Evil, I have not seen them before but I know of them. They are similar in the concept, however they are in Utah and have one boat in Vegas. We are in the So Cal market, so we can meet your needs here. I will also have all kinds of other toys which you will see on my website when it is done! Thanks for checking this out for me though.

Jason