Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 15, 2006

Old     (grenade)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-28-2006, 4:10 PM Reply   
The only towing I have done is the 5 minute drive from my house to the ramp and back...I'm taking a last hoorah to my friends lake a couple hours away. Any help or tips would be awesome
Old     (super_air)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-28-2006, 4:30 PM Reply   
I always take 2 spares when I tow long distance.
Old     (calcio)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-28-2006, 4:31 PM Reply   
Keep distance between you and the car in front. Stopping may take a bit longer.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-28-2006, 4:33 PM Reply   
Make sure your trailer hubs are greased and all your tires are at pressure. Check your brake fluid level and brake pad wear. Have at least 1 spare tire.
Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-28-2006, 5:06 PM Reply   
Just don't get in a hurry. Take your time, relax and enjoy your trip.
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-28-2006, 5:07 PM Reply   
Patrick just use good common sense.I pull my boat all over central Florida anywhere from 30min. to 3hrs one way every weekend.I have a VLX on a single axle trailer which I disagree with but the dealership seems to think its fine.But yea check your grease,tire pressure,lights,check spares for pressure and always start braking ahead of time.When you brake, brake ahead of time and at the same time use the 3 second method.Apply your brakes for 3 seconds and let off for a second then apply for another 3 seconds etc. this will save ware and tear on your vehicle brakes.Alot of people ride there brakes.This method even when regular driving will make your brakes last alot longer.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-28-2006, 6:42 PM Reply   
Make sure you have a good jack and lug wrench or the spare won't do any good.
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-28-2006, 8:59 PM Reply   
Depending on your vehicle and if you have alot of hills or not, you may want to turn overdrive off. If you have alot of hills your transmission can get kind of hot if it's shifting from OD to third gear all the time.
Old     (mars)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-29-2006, 3:44 AM Reply   
Are you going cover on or off?
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-29-2006, 4:34 AM Reply   
I've made several long trips 10 hours plus. Always perform a good inspection of tires, brakes, oil in hubs, spare tire. Then I stop after about an hour and check hub temperature and look for leaking oil/grease.
Old     (kystyle)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-29-2006, 6:47 AM Reply   
I'm kind of in the same boat as Patrick, just a little different. I have towed my boat on 3 hr trips one way before, but this weekend I will be going on a 5 hr trip through the mountains. I just bought a new truck a few months ago so the tow vehicle I'm not to worried about (knock on wood), but the main thing I worry about is having a wheel bearing go out. I grease the fittings every one or two trips that I take (they never take much grease,) and I took the bearings out a few months ago and repacked them. Is there other preventative measures that I can take?
Old     (clubjoe)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-29-2006, 6:58 AM Reply   
when I first started dragging my toyhauler around, I found that on a long drive I would start shortening my turns as I got toward my destination.

I got comfortable having it follow, and started turning corners like it wasn't there. Watch for that.
Old     (kdr)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-29-2006, 7:23 AM Reply   
Also check your lug nuts. found mine almost all the way off after an hour long tow this weekend. I usually just tow it about 1/4 mile down the road.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-29-2006, 7:35 AM Reply   
Make sure AAA is paid up.
Old     (grenade)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-29-2006, 10:57 AM Reply   
thanks a lot guys...I'm guessing im going to tow with the cover off. I'm not to sure which is better or does it matter
Old     (jzd)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-29-2006, 11:47 AM Reply   
Do your wallet a favor don't tow in overdrive.
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-29-2006, 12:18 PM Reply   
MAKES SURE you have a jack and lug wrench that works with your trailer. I have a foreign SUV and the equipment on it got me NOWHERE when it came ti time to change the tire. Also, keep a nice tool kit in the car for misc. repairs. Have fun!!!
Old     (cp3)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-29-2006, 12:30 PM Reply   
Hours? Thats nothing try two days cross country. lol. but anyways. take two spares, jack, sockets and torque wrench. Depending on the road u might wrap it in thick plastic wrap like I did. all in all my boat still looks great for a 2000 mile drive.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       08-29-2006, 12:52 PM Reply   
Check your bearings and lugnuts before you leave.
I had a very expensive disaster a couple of months ago when I got in a hurry and did not check mine. Ended with the trailer and boat on a car hauler. Just a warning at that point things start gettin super expensive.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-29-2006, 12:58 PM Reply   
As far as the cover is concerned, I tow with it on. Its amazing how much dirt and crap can get in your boat over a long haul. Plus if it rains, you don't have to stop and put it on standing on the side of the road.