Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 01, 2004

Old    thunderstruck            03-24-2004, 9:56 AM Reply   
What do people use for wax on a new boat?
Old     (jimr)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-24-2004, 10:14 AM Reply   
3M

http://www.boatersworld.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&catalogId=10051&langI d=-1&productId=303879
Old     (jimr)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-24-2004, 10:24 AM Reply   
Oops never mind, I just noticed you said new boats.
Old    cws_kahuna            03-24-2004, 10:32 AM Reply   
I believe 3M also makes a regular marine wax. You can find it at Wal-Mart or at least the Wal-Mart near me carries a lot of the 3M marine stuff.
Old     (john_d)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-24-2004, 10:47 AM Reply   
Meguiars #56 Pure RV/Boat Wax
Old    diamondjax23            03-24-2004, 11:01 AM Reply   
3m and meguiars are both good stuff. Just make sure you get marine wax.
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       03-24-2004, 12:49 PM Reply   
is this stuff hard to apply? never waxed a boat before, but need to.
Old    whitechocolate            03-24-2004, 12:55 PM Reply   
Have any of you heard this rumor??? I saw on planetnautique.com a guy that has a beautiful finish on a 90's Nautique, He said The previous Owner only used "PLEDGE" on the boat. He said that wax fill the pours and that Gell coat is a pouris surface and needs to breathe ??? and that waxing the gell coat can cause dulling over time??? Im not rushing to put pledge on my boat I use the Meguires Boat wax, But mabey Im doing somthing wrong??

Old    whitechocolate            03-24-2004, 1:02 PM Reply   
http://www.planetnautique.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=313
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       03-24-2004, 2:06 PM Reply   
I think it's more likely from being stored indoors all the time. Imagine if you used a car once or twice a week for 6 months out of the year and kept it indoors the rest of the time. Would keep it looking pretty good, even if you never waxed it.
Old    rgillar            03-24-2004, 3:00 PM Reply   
I don't know. I used Pledge on the plexiglass and fiberglass on my airplane. It did make keeping it clean a breeze. Never thought about using it on da boat. I agree with Grant, are we missing something here?
Old    bigdeal            03-24-2004, 8:28 PM Reply   
Just an FYI here guys. I worked as a detailer for several years and can tell you without hesitation that there is 'no' difference between a high quality auto wax and a 'so-called' marine specific wax. Don't get caught up in the hype. You could very easily and economically buy a bottle of Meguiars Professional Line #26 Yellow Wax at most any auto parts store, and you'd get the same if not better results than a more expensive 'Marine' specific wax.
Old     (priapism)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-24-2004, 11:01 PM Reply   
I have always used Pledge on my bicycles. I know that bicycles are "painted" and boats have "gel coats," but maybe the story is not too far fetched.

If anything, now you have a good idea for keeping your bicycles looking sweet! It's easy to apply and rub in, helps shed road grime, and makes wipe downs/cleanings a breeze.
Old    mb_girl            03-24-2004, 11:16 PM Reply   
I've known a few people that use Pledge when they wipe the boat down at the ramp, but I've always assumed that they used a really good wax when they washed it & just use the Pledge as touch up. One thing that I've noticed is that I've never seen anyone that's actually used it say anything even remotely bad about it, so it has me wondering if I'm missing something as well. I keep forgetting to put the Pledge in the truck when we go to the lake, so I can't personally vouch for it. I may give it a try on the new boat when it comes in next week.

EDIT: Has anyone ever tried Bollitt?

(Message edited by mb_girl on March 24, 2004)
Old     (wake_up_11)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-25-2004, 9:02 AM Reply   
I've had several people tell me that you should not wax your boat because it is bad for the Gel coat. Are they full of is there something to what they are saying. I use Pledge or a widex/vinegar combo to wipe down the boat on the ramp and use a hull cleaner to wash it, but what's the real scoop on waxing it????????
Old    mb_girl            03-25-2004, 10:47 AM Reply   
I think they're full of it, BICBW.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-26-2004, 5:46 PM Reply   
beats everything hands down.....

http://www.astroshield.com/

better than wax period!
Old    bigdeal            03-26-2004, 9:24 PM Reply   
Regarding AstroShield, I'm a little confused. In the detailing world a 'polish' is a totally different product than a 'wax'. Generally, a polish is used to bring up shine and depth and maybe address surface imperfections. A wax on the other hand is generally what provides protection (UVA/UVB) to the surface it's applied to. The AstroShield advertising refers to the product as a polish / glaze. I'd be very concerned that by using it you'd be shining up the surface but not providing any real protection. I've detailed a lot of vehicles in the past ten years, and I've always followed up a coat of polish with a coat (or two) of wax.
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       03-29-2004, 10:59 AM Reply   
I've been using:

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunum=16773

for about three years. It's really a spray on carnuba based wax with some cleaners in it, but I don't use it for cleaning, just waxing. Only apply in the shade, never in the sun.
Old     (vortech347)      Join Date: Aug 2000       03-29-2004, 11:56 AM Reply   
Nobody else uses Formula 303 on their hull? I have used it almost exclusively and it works very well. It doesn't disappear completely like wax but it is very easy to apply and lasts a month or longer before needing another application. I use it on the hull and the seats all at the same time.

It takes about 45 minutes to do the whole boat including the interior after washing and drying.
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       03-29-2004, 1:40 PM Reply   
The reason I don't use 303 on the hull is because it attracts dust. I do use it exclusively on my vinyl however, after a nice cleaning with Simple Green.
Old    wuneyewilly            03-29-2004, 3:00 PM Reply   
I use a green tin wax called Tree Wax or Tree Sap. It works great and my boat is Black. Major pain in the *&%^$$% to apply though. Once in the beginning of the season and once at the end...no spots!

Wouldnt Pledge make black gel look like my windshield after the bum at the gas station cleaned it for a quarter? lol!

(Message edited by wuneyewilly on March 29, 2004)
Old    jonh            03-29-2004, 9:25 PM Reply   
Any comments on Meguiars #56 Pure RV/Boat Wax vs. Meguiars Tech Wax. Does it help to do multiple applicatons of the Tech Wax
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-30-2004, 6:35 AM Reply   
I think Kelley has a good question. Does everyone here wax their boat? I wipe mine well with vinegar after each outing and it continues to look very nice after 2 years, but I've never waxed it - Should I?
Help me out here.

(Message edited by talltigeguy on March 30, 2004)
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       03-30-2004, 1:32 PM Reply   
I used to wax my boat every other week until I discovered 50/50 water / vinegar solution. Now I only need to do it once or twice per season.
Old     (autotunner69)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-30-2004, 2:28 PM Reply   
zimole(spl?), or dry wash'n quard. I used this stuff on learjets when I worked for a private jet company, and it's awesome! A couple of the pilots I knew did an experiment with me. the pilots went on a trip to Louisiana with out a wax job, then on the next flight to there, we used the dry wash'n guard and it accually made an improvment on the EAT for there flight! makes it supper smooth! And it last for up to 6 months! you can just wipe off dust w/a soft cloth, spray on(wax w/wet applicator), wipe off.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-30-2004, 3:49 PM Reply   
3M marine wax, 4 times a year. Wipe my boat down every time.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-31-2004, 11:54 AM Reply   
I have noticed my boat seems harder to wipe down to get all of the gunk off lately. I think that may be due to the fact I need to wax it. How should I clean the boat before waxing?