Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 23, 2005

Old    notrepidation44            07-21-2005, 11:53 PM Reply   
im new to this site and i was trying to research my problem in the search area, but couldnt find anything. my problem is after my brother and his friends bought 3 fat saks for the boat and filled them up the boat started bouncing up and down really bad. it feels like the boat wants to leap from the water. we have one in the middle up front and two in the back by the boats ballasts. are boat is a malibe vlx wakesetter. i guess im writing to find out how much should each of the saks be filled up and what causes the eratic bouncing, is it to much weight up front or to much in the rear? any help would be great.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-22-2005, 5:44 AM Reply   
You are imbalanced to the rear. Shift weight up front.
Old     (atlsackedup)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-22-2005, 6:30 AM Reply   
bobby...karl is dead-on, you are off balance with your weighting scheme and have too much weight in the rear. This is why your nose is bouncing or "porpoising" as they call it.

move more weight up front...good rule of thumb is 60% of your weight in the rear, 40% up front.

if you do this, you'll notice a vast improvement in the wake and in the way your boat handles.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-22-2005, 1:07 PM Reply   
When you start adding a lot of weight to the boat it is going to effect the way it rides. The "propoising" that you describe is typical of too much weight at the back of the boat.

By moving some of the weight forward you may solve the porpoising problem, but it may cause other problems (like making the bow submarine through wakes).

It is not uncommon that you have to drain some of the weight out in order to go at cruise speeds. Not a big deal when all you have to do is push a button on the dash to fill or drain a tank, but it can be a pain in the ass with fat sacks.

Old     (dls)      Join Date: Nov 2004       07-22-2005, 1:23 PM Reply   
Like everyone said more Lbs. up front, and you'll most likley have a better shaped wake too.
In my VLX I run 325lbs of lead in the bow under the seats and two fat buddies in the trunks. then I use the stock MLS to adjust the wake and havent had a porpoising issue at wakeboard speeds yet.
When we need to make a marina run I dump the MLS and it still seems to ride fine.
Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-22-2005, 4:37 PM Reply   
yep i was having same problem until i went on here and looked at the 60% 40% thing, i was about 75% 25% and everytime a roller came by the boat wanted to leap, i added a front sac and the boat is perfect now.

when you put more wait up front not only will this problem go away but you will see vast improvements such as, the boat will plane out easier and save gas, hold speed better because the boat is on plane, and just all around drive better.

i also thought my boat couldnt handle the weight, it would struggle, but it was because i needed more forward weight because it wasnt on plane.

Plane= Key to good wake & boat performance.

now im not saying have the boat totally planed out like a ski boat doing 35mph, it should be alittle nose high so the wake will have a ramp to it, but just like everyone said 60% back 40% front and dont forget to factor in the engine weight.