Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 01, 2004

Old    boofhead            04-20-2004, 3:44 AM Reply   
I run my university wakeboard club along with a few other dedicated individuals. Most of our members are complete beginners to any watersports. As a result I spend alot of time getting them up for the first time and have got a list of things I try with them to find something that works for them. I was wondering if you guys could add anything to the list below, so that I have more things to try if things arent working out with an individual. Do you have a routine with a good success rate? Its important for everything to be quick as poss as we only have 15min sets and its often pretty cold so they lose the stoke rapaidly. My list of things to try is:

1) The detention rountine - basically tell them what murray says, on land and then the water
2) If they pull the handle, tell them to pretend to break the handle in half like its a stick - they cant pull and do that usually
3) If they get half way too early and fall/or freak out tell them to get to a squat and stay there to a feel for it
4) If they end up sideways and cant get the board to plane straight on tell them to put the handle so that their arms are around their lead leg so the pull brings them up more sideways

And thats about it. I guess what Iam asking for is anymore trouble shoot solutions like 2-4. Iam pretty new to the coaching side of things, so any advice from you guys would be great!
Old    pathetic2            04-20-2004, 8:51 AM Reply   
What kind of equipment do you have to help in the training? I have found that a barefoot boom is a necessity in teaching people to ski without taking bad falls and drinking the lake. It works for any discipline, not just footing. You can ski at much slower speeds. Plus the student is right off the side of the boat, so you can talk to them about stance and the like while they are skiing. I use mine in teaching everything, boarding, slalom, kneeboard, footing, etc.

Rule #1 - Patience. Don't try to stand up until the board planes out.
Rule #2 - Your hips control the direction you go. If your hips are not pointed toward the boat, you won't go straight. Have them work on work on that stance of looking over their shoulder while having their hips in line. They can do this on land and not take up water time.

There are the 2 main problems I've seen teaching people to board. Hope this helps.
Old     (bradb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-20-2004, 9:35 AM Reply   
1) I always tell people to relax and float on their back with their legs out front of them.
2) Then I tell them to try to sink the board under them by bending their heals to touch their butt.
3) Then I give them a handle and get them to lie back in the water with their knees bent up and arms straight and I pull the rope by hand from the boat and try to get them to do the same thing (sink the board below them by pulling their heels to their butt).
4) Then it's time to try with the boat pulling. Bringing their heels to their butt forces them to do a bunch of things correctly but only focus on one thing! it keeps their knees bent. It forces them to not stand up too early. It also puts the board in the right position to plane on the water (ie keeps their toes pointed away from them)
5) Getting someone up for the first time is as much about the driver as it is about the person getting pulled. You require a slow but smooth acceleration.
B
Old     (wake_up_11)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-20-2004, 11:51 AM Reply   
Sometimes we've had girls who just don't seem to have enough arm strength to hold on to the rope to get up. The solution was to use a really really short rope attatched to the Tower of course. It gives you a greater angle and almost forces them up and out of the water. Once they have felt how to get up you can lengthen the line and they'll be able to get up.

If you've ever attatched your wakesurf line to your tower then you no what I'm talking about. There's is almost no effort at all wasted in getting out of the water.
Old    boofhead            04-24-2004, 4:10 AM Reply   
Dont have a bare foot bare anymore, which is a shame cos that was an ideal way to get them up first time, thanks for the tips though guys
Old     (lakeday)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-24-2004, 9:19 AM Reply   
i have started trying a new technique that really helps getting people up for the first time. it especially seems to be easier for the bigger guys...but i have had some girls have success with it as well. when the rider yells go and feels the rope tighten, SLIGHTLY rock forward, forcing the board just under water. as long as they don't get pulled out the front they pop right up. once they are standing, pull the rope to the lead hip. putting the board under the water may sound strange, but it works. try it.
Old     (ddoubleu)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-24-2004, 11:28 AM Reply   
i have alwayse had success just telling the person to try to feel as if they are pushing the whole lake before they try to stand up.
it was how i learned and how i have taught dozens.
good luck!
Old    upupnaway            04-24-2004, 7:06 PM Reply   
The Method I have had the most success with on gettin people up with is this.
After giving them the knees to chest, heels to butt info, I have them put on the board and get in the water.
While facing the swim deck, I fake a start by kneeling in the boat, and using the wrap handle to pull them towards me.
As they rock up and onto the swim deck, I watch their form. If they fight, or try to stand themselves up, I release the handle.
It really helps them understand that proper body and board position is the difference between pulling forward and pulling up.

Before going out, you can show them the difference between fighting the rope and working with it like this-
Have them sit on the ground, feet flat in front of them and their legs bent at a 45 degree angle.
While standing in front of them with a handle, have them hold onto the handle as you pull them up a couple of times. The first time, ask them to keep their back straight, push with their legs and pull with their arms as you pull them up. It will take some effort.
The second time, tell them to keep a firm grip on the handle, let their chest come to their knees, and butt slide to their heels as you pull. the ease in which they get up will astound them.

Two main points to remember are, the more you fight, the harder it is to get up, and you can ride around the lake all day in a squat. do not stand up until the board is planing, and you feel comfortable.

Let us know how it goes.

Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-24-2004, 9:50 PM Reply   
I've had a lot of success by just telling them to wrap their arms/elbows around their knees which keeps them compact. They usually come right up.

I've had a few guys that fight the boat and plow against the water....I finally figured out that I had to tell them to point their toes and that puts the board on the correct angle to plane.

If you have someone that has a hard time keeping the board straight w/ the boat...tell them to let go of the handle w/ their back hand and that forces them sideways.

Biggest thing is to be very patient so that they do not get frustrated and give up.