Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 01, 2004

Old    chris_newrider            04-17-2004, 7:46 PM Reply   
My wife and I had a wakeboarding clinic today with Zane Schwenk. Let me tell you, that was the most fun we have had in a long time! Zane was awesome! We both learned much more than we expected, and had a blast learning!

My wife had never boarded before, and I have only ridden 6-7 times. Zane took his time with my wife and showed her everything from putting on her bindings to how to flip over in the water. He had her up and riding and she felt really great. He made her feel like a pro!

I can't do much at all but Zane pushed me to do some 1 wake 180's and taught me to ride switch and helped me to relax and it was great. I finished up riding with complete confidence! He stood on the back of the boat and coached the whole time I was riding. I wanted to learn a couple of things and he taught me about 20!

The other guy in our group was a little more advanced and I learned a lot by listening to Zane as he coached him. I'll remember these points when I advance.

Zane also had some wicked cool CWB boards for us to demo and we rode in a brand new Super Air!! He also did an exhibition for us that was off the hook!! He has mad style, let me tell ya! He threw down trick after trick after trick, and made them all look easy.

BTW, I'm 38 and I am stoked to go wakeboarding. Zane is a great ambassador for the sport, and a super nice guy!

Chris
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-17-2004, 7:56 PM Reply   
That's awesome...you and your wife are so lucky. I would love to ride with him and see him ride. I think Zane is a great coach after seeing him in higher learning 1 & 2 eventhough i know he might have a temper.

Did you demo the Absolute or see the Transcend??
What kind of tower is that on your glastron? Where did you ride with him in NC?
Old     (jarabacoa)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-18-2004, 4:46 AM Reply   
Is Zane doing some private coaching now or was this something free you attended? Thanks
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-18-2004, 6:40 AM Reply   
thats sounds like a great time but isnt Zane sponsored by MC??last year he had a New Xstar and when he was interviewed he was giving props to MC for being a great sponsor..

Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-18-2004, 4:27 PM Reply   
Yay, whats up with that?
Old     (zaneschwenk)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-18-2004, 5:22 PM Reply   
Yeah I am riding and sponsored by MC, but I was out with a CWB dealer and they brought a different boat.....I had a great time in NC....helping some of the CWB dealers in the area. I am really glad that I got to ride with everyone up here and I hope they had fun. And I don't have a temper...just a strange sense of humor. Keep riding strong and have fun, and thanks for all the support...I hope to be able to ride with you all sometime soon!

ZS
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-18-2004, 6:19 PM Reply   
Mango - you said you "know Zane might have a temper." What would make you say something like this?

I watched Zane ride two Monday's ago when I was out doing a half day lesson with Dave Briscoe and let me say, he threw down. Back to back 7's without flinching and taking things huge. Oh, and he seemed like a pretty nice guy too (contrary to Mango's comment). I took some video but have yet to edit it - I try to get it up here soon...
Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-18-2004, 7:14 PM Reply   
Zane, thanks... now you know your not allowed on any other kind of boat, don't you!! j/k That was your first post.. a curious observer i see.. While I have your attention, how are you weighting your X-Star? In a few days I will be posting my upgraded ballast system.. 03' X-Star - 5 Jebsco pumps 3 tanks and 4 bags.. Its brutal!! Cannot wait until its complete. Im excited to see what people think!!
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-18-2004, 7:14 PM Reply   
haha i was joking cause of the article I read in Wakeboarding Magazine this month. ZANE i think your awesome and your one of my favorite riders! Absolute 2k4 all the way this year

btw...isn't buywake.com/ambush in nc?
Old     (w4k3b04rd3r19)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-18-2004, 8:20 PM Reply   
Yeah Zane is an all around great guy. He's a great teacher you just got to listen to him.
Old    chris_newrider            04-20-2004, 5:09 AM Reply   
Sorry about the SAN, that was brought by the shop that put on the clinic. Zane is MC all the way and told us so several times.

To answer your questions:

I did not demo the Absolute, but my wife already has a Nirvana and I do need a new board and it will be the Absolute. My tower is a Wake Air and we rode at Belews Lake outside of Greensboro.

It was a clinic put on by a local dealer, White Lake Marine.

Let me tell you, his personality is great. He treated me and my wife as if we had know him for years. And, he can flat out rip it up.

I hope we get another chance to ride with him.

Chris
Old     (zaneschwenk)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-20-2004, 7:48 AM Reply   
Cdm

I am running 2 full sacks in the rear, and either 3 side sacks or 2 full sacks in the front...and the wake is ridiculously big. I am running the 6.0 liter engine with a 14 X 16 stainless prop.

The wake with a few friends is great with just 4 side sacks and stock ballast, just depends on what level you are riding at and how many riders are going along with you.

Hope this helps some, the wake on the X Star is by far the biggest and best I have ever hit!

Zane Schwenk
Old    rustybone            04-20-2004, 8:13 AM Reply   
Very cool Chris anytime you get to ride with guys of that caliber its a memorable event. We had the pleasure of riding with Dave Briscoe and it was a blast. We all learned a tone.We asked what some of the pros were like and Briscoe had nothing but super nice things to say about Zane. I don`t think you can ask for a better ambassador of the sport. And the man can really conduct an interview too.
Old     (batman)      Join Date: Nov 2001       04-21-2004, 8:02 PM Reply   
Zane, I ride with Dan Walden and he speaks very highly of you and Dave B. The kid is awesome. We did his photo shoot behind my boat.
Old     (wetrooster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-22-2004, 10:11 AM Reply   
I can't believe no one said I had a temper. And as far as Zane's Temper. As long as your not a Fireman.....Your fine.....

Briscoe
Old    rustybone            04-23-2004, 6:33 AM Reply   
Dave

Are you going to make it up to Ontario this summer. We would love to have you up to do some clinic for all the Canadian boys and girls. If I can get some dates I can advertise in the shop and get some boat loads ready for you. Last year was a real last minute thing. We`ll do it up right this year.

Kirk Ruston
www.schoolbussurfshop.com
www.skate4cancer.com
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-23-2004, 12:37 PM Reply   
Briscoe, you left out Tony Finn.

I was laughing so hard at that it hurt.
Old     (zaneschwenk)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-23-2004, 6:36 PM Reply   
Mike O

Daniel is the man...he rips....he really takes a man sized cut on everything...mad props to Daniel.

ZS
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-23-2004, 6:48 PM Reply   
Zane since you're a Mastercraft guy I think your input on this will help. Can you give your opinion (Pro's and Cons) of the X-Star Vs. The X2? A lot of people one the message boards don't have a solid first impression of how the Xstar wake looks.
Old     (nj_alex)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-24-2004, 10:18 AM Reply   
I used to get a Zane Schwenk news letter emailed to me. I thought it was pretty good. I even found some of the writing/advice to be uniquely good! But almost as soon as it began, it ended without notice. Oh well. I guess explosive tempers and enewsletters don't mix.
Old     (vlxwakerider)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-24-2004, 10:38 AM Reply   
Zane- Did you ever figure out how to flip that slider of yours back over ?
Old     (zaneschwenk)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-25-2004, 1:48 PM Reply   
The difference in the wakes is how steep the X2 is VS the X Star...the X2 has a steeper wake that's awesome for wake to wake tricks where the new X Star has a larger and taller ramp that let's you come in to the wake with loads of speed. So you can take those wake to wake tricks to the flats easier. Both have a great lip right at the top which gives you extra boost, which kind of lets you know when you have cut all the way to the top. The X Star has less of a dish before the wake so landing there and cutting to the wake is a lot easier that any other wake out there.

As for the newsletter, I still do them somewhat, I have gotten really busy, so when people sign up at planetwakeboard.com I send them articles that I have written up for the tricks that they are asking for.

Yeah man we got the slider flipped over, with 2 large trees and 2 boats, but it still is not floating right so we are going to revamp it sometime soon.

ZS
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-25-2004, 2:02 PM Reply   
Thanks Zane, good post.