Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 01, 2004

Old    cire2222            04-27-2004, 9:05 AM Reply   
i was wondering if anyone had workouts or anything they did outside of the water to help out your wakeboarding skills , something for balance or style , or even strength training. I heave heard about the trampoline idea but i dont have room for one. Any ideas would help.
Old    goose69            04-27-2004, 9:08 AM Reply   
a couple keg stands a day helps
Old    xxplosive            04-27-2004, 9:10 AM Reply   
I don't do anything special or specifically "for" wakeboarding, but I am in the gym about everyday. Running one day and lifting the next. I think just about any training you do will help your wakeboarding.
Old     (craig_riddle)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-27-2004, 9:22 AM Reply   
There was a thread on this a few months ago. here is one link on the subject
http://www.wakeworld.com/articles/2003/wakeboardingworkout1.asp
Old     (craig_riddle)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-27-2004, 9:23 AM Reply   
previous thread
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/100645.html
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-27-2004, 9:52 AM Reply   
It definately helps. I have the typical pro wakeboard body type(midget) & respond very well to exercise. It will only make you better and less prone to injury. I really focus on my back and shoulders and chest and arms. I ride my bike everyday and hit the home gym every other day, lots of push ups, pullups, rows, curls things like that. When spinning strength helps a ton!
Old     (cinder1995)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-27-2004, 10:25 AM Reply   
Lifting weights is good for you whether you wakeboard or not. However i've found that training hard and wakeboarding hard don't work well together. If you're training hard you need rest to heal, which you're not getting if you're wakeboarding hard. If your just wanting to help your wakeboarding, stick to runing and light lifting.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-27-2004, 10:36 AM Reply   
Eric, I totally agree. I was into lifting weights heavily for many years. After doing chest, back, arms, legs, blah blah blah, I had no strength left to ride on the weekend. I had to cut way back and schedule certain muscle groups early in the week so I had some left to ride.
Old    cire2222            04-27-2004, 10:46 AM Reply   
i have been working out on a regular basis ,i think it helps. Any works outs or activities to improve balance? and do you guys think riding in the choppy water can help you or just make you angry and wore out?
Old     (cinder1995)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-27-2004, 11:07 AM Reply   
I'm with you Jarrod. I found myself juggling my schedule so I wasn't as sore when I rode. The problem is whether or not your sore, you're still prone to tear all those little "helper" muscles and tendons when riding. Oh,well. As they say "you play, you pay".
Old    indywakechica            04-27-2004, 11:12 AM Reply   
I do yoga quite a bit which has helped my balance a ton. I've only been out once this year on a new board so have yet to see if it helps. I was thinking since I'm way more flexible that would help me more but only to help prevent injuries.
Old    rypayne            04-27-2004, 7:45 PM Reply   
i was thinking yoga when i was at the top of the discussion. i did it yesterday and its great for balance. so yeah, yoga is great
Old    wakejunkeygirl            04-28-2004, 6:18 AM Reply   
I started doing yoga years ago and then my husband started doing it with me and realized just how much it helped him with flexibility and balance for wakeboarding!
pilates (all core strength isolated movements) cardio, strength train and of course pivit board (balance) and longboard skateboarding (carving skills)
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-28-2004, 8:16 AM Reply   
During the season I perform only one set of each exercise with a moderate weight (about 30% of max) to failure. Coupled with stretching, it keep you fit without the fatigue and exhaustion of multiple sets. Using this technique, I have avoided injuries for 20 years.