Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 01, 2004

Old    xxplosive            04-25-2004, 11:55 AM Reply   
Was wondering what exercises are best for strengthing the knees? Maybe I'm getting paranoid about them after reading so many people tearing their ACLs etc.. I figure strengthing all the muscles in that area is gonna be the best way to prevent an injury. On a regular basis I work out at the gym and do both leg extension machines (pushing up and pushing down). Anything else you would suggest? Thanks
Old     (derrick_lenz)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-25-2004, 2:12 PM Reply   
here's what i do for rehab....leg press 3 sets of 10 with both legs then 1/2 the weight and just do leg press with my bad knee 3 sets of 10. do the same for quad extensions(machine where you sit in the chair and exted legs outward) adn the saem for hamstring curls. then i'll do wieghted calf raises 3 sets of ten with both legs. once the wiehgt gets easy i bump each set up to 15 reps. when that gets easy then i bump the weight up 1 or 2 plates. i can defenatly see my legs geiing stronger but my doc said it'll take about a year for my weak leg to get beck to the same as my god leg.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-25-2004, 6:43 PM Reply   
trampoline really helps, i also play rugby and lost a lot of weight.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-25-2004, 10:12 PM Reply   
squats - i would think the most basic and effective (and directly related), exercise one can do for strengthening knees (or more specifically the muscles around them).

also, keeping limber and flexible. lots of stretching and sufficient warm-ups.
Old    papi            04-26-2004, 12:45 AM Reply   
See my post under "Its Official" Near the bottom
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/150327.html?1082820148
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-26-2004, 3:37 AM Reply   
If you really think about your question, there really isn't any way to prevent an ACL injury. Working on Proprioception is a factor that may help.
Take a look at all the amateur and professional athletes that have had this injury.
It's all about the mechanism of the injury and there's not a whole lot you can do to stop that.
Old    boofhead            04-26-2004, 3:50 AM Reply   
leo, you play rugby in the US? I didnt think you even knew what it was over there!

On the subject of knees - I do weights on the legs abit and also use the indo board alot. The indo board helps to build up stabiity around the joint - i definately feel stronger in that area since Ive used it.
Old     (mike_schwenne)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-26-2004, 11:10 AM Reply   
The ultimate knee exercise: Eggbeater(as done in water polo)
Building all the muscles around the kneecap, is going to strengthen your knees and take the pressure of the ligaments. With the eggbeater movement, there is no impact whatsoever. Enabling you to push your muscle strength. You are also strengthening so many muscles around the knee, instead of isolating big muscles(machines)
-Air squats, trampoline and biking are also really great.
www.crossfit.com has some really great exercises
Mike schwenne
www.westcoastcamps.com
Old    rustybone            04-26-2004, 12:27 PM Reply   
Air squats?
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-26-2004, 12:32 PM Reply   
phantom, do you really mean to suggest there's nothing one can do to help prevent the injury? i respect your knowledge and profession, but i find it hard to believe your statement.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-26-2004, 12:49 PM Reply   
although in doing some reading about prevention you are definitely correct that proprioception and biomechanics are emphasized over simple strength training...

quote:

The study conducted by the CDC on a program developed by Santa Monica, Calif., orthopedist Bert Mandelbaum preliminarily showed a one-third reduction in NCAA Division I women's college soccer players, though the figures could change.

The common denominators in these ACL prevention programs:

• Improving balance, especially on a single leg.

• Focusing on avoiding the vulnerable, knock-kneed position when landing, stopping and cutting.

• Strengthening of the core muscles around the pelvis, including the hamstring or back of the thigh.

definitely seems that improving technique is a major factor - which i guess doesn't help when you're crashing or landing awkwardly...

quote:

To help athletes improve proprioception and understand proper biomechanics, Hewett utilizes state-of-the-art 3D motion analysis in his Cincinnati Children's Hospital Lab in addition to a comprehensive neuromuscular program.

"The changes you can get in six to eight weeks are enormous," Hewett says, "though you don't need a $2 million lab. You can get100-200% changes. The kids and women that benefit the most are the medium- to low-range athletes, in the lower three-fourths talent range.

Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-26-2004, 1:57 PM Reply   
I think apprehensiveness leads to alot of injuries. I played alot of football in my day, and if you didnt go balls-to-the-wall every play, you would set yourself up for injury. I think the same applies for every sport. Going into a trick, then getting apprehensive in the middle of it, leads to some bad crashes. Dont get me wrong, you can be over-exuberant and have the same thing happen as well.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-26-2004, 4:07 PM Reply   
*christopher
I'm glad you took the time to do the research on my statement. Explaining mechanisms of injury with Biomechanics and Proprioception to the general population is not easy.
Still kicking myself for not pursuing a Physics &Biomechanics of Sports degree.
Basically, the only way to prevent landing or crashing in an awkward position is not to get yourself into that situation.....you can always try wakeboarding in a bubble too