Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 14, 2005

Old     (mook)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-26-2005, 3:30 AM Reply   
Okay. So I was successful in pulling out the old flax packing and installed 3 rings of my new GFO (Gore-Tex) flax packing into the gland nut. I did this to stop the constant flow of water into the bilge...

But now, there is absolutely no drip whether idling or running. I tightened the gland nut until it was "hand tight", and when I had no drip I backed it off a 1/4 - 1/2 turn, but still no drip.

So my question for the experts is: Will the new packing tighten up so that a drip starts to flow to lubricate when running, or is it okay if there is no drip at all. And, is there a trick to get it to drip like it is supposed to when running?

Thanks for your help,
Mook

Note: Installed on an '02 VLX. FYI
Old     (mook)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-27-2005, 2:25 AM Reply   
Anyone...., Anyone.....

-Mr. Hand (Fast Times at Ridgemont High)
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-27-2005, 10:04 AM Reply   
no help on the drip, but wasn't that quote from the teacher in Ferris Bueller's Day Off

"Anyone, Anyone,....Bueller?"
-Ben Stein

Old     (mook)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-27-2005, 4:06 PM Reply   
Man, I got all excited to receive a reply that could solve my boat leak...

Well, they may have said it on Ferris Bueller too, but I think Ben Stiein just kept repeating "Bueller, Bueller"....

Either way, it was definitely Mr. Hand who said:
"Anyone know what this is? Class? Anyone? Anyone? ..." (pretty funny stuff)

Okay, enough Fast-times, I need to fix my gland nut....
Old     (mook)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-29-2005, 10:08 PM Reply   
Bump
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-29-2005, 10:54 PM Reply   
I hope someone answers you, because I would like to know the answer also.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-30-2005, 6:54 AM Reply   
I know that it should drip a little otherwise you risk scoring the driveshaft from having no water to lubricate it. I would say run the boat in water for a little while, then take it out. open up the gland and inspect the whole mess to see if water is penetrating the packing and lubricating the shaft.

Eric
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       09-30-2005, 7:12 AM Reply   
that's soem funny sh*T

"penetrating the packing and lubricating the shaft."
Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-30-2005, 10:07 AM Reply   
I thought the goretex packing did not drip. On Dis. Inboard marine they state its 'virtually dripless'.

After you drive the boat a while, it the paking nut or drive shaft getting warm?
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-30-2005, 12:44 PM Reply   
That was pretty funny! Goretex or not, I would think it still needs to hold some water to keep from scoring the prop shaft.
Old     (pup)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-30-2005, 6:56 PM Reply   
Loosen the nut until it starts to leak. Tighten the nut until the leak just stops or slows to a drip. Run the boat slowly & check the shaft to make sure it is not hot.
Old     (jimr)      Join Date: Sep 2001       10-03-2005, 7:12 AM Reply   
I just restuffed my stuffing box too. The first time I drove it the shaft and shaft nut got really hot. The second time it got warm and the third time it stayed cool but still no drips. I'm assuming as long as the shaft stays cool and there is no smoke billowing from the stuffing box then it's all good even without drips. I've been burned by my dumba$$ assumptions before but in this case it seems alright.

Wow, after rereading this I want to make it clear that I'm refering to my boat and my boat only!
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       10-03-2005, 8:42 AM Reply   
I did mine and tested it yesterday. I was actually playing with it just to see how loose it had to be to drip and I took the nut completely off. I was surprised that it didnt let that much water in with the nut all the way off.
I tightened it down till there wasnt a drip at all then backed it off about a half a turn. There was just barely a leak.
I would say as long as it is not hot you wont score the shaft.