Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2007

Old     (zacharoo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-23-2007, 4:15 PM Reply   
Is the clarion CMD4 or the new 5 a good reliable head unit. I currently have a Kenwuss'd 5028, but I have not replaced it because of the expense of the remotes I currently use. Is the HU a good choice??
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-23-2007, 4:41 PM Reply   
I don't really have a stereophile system, just stock stuff and a small amp and sub. I upgraded from the CMD2 to the CMD4 and I love it. I am a big fan of the rotary controls that are right at your fingertips, don't have to seach through menus to control the bass, treble, or fade. Unit seems pretty solid to me, CD's sound terrific and we hooked an ipod up through the dock to the AUX inputs and it sounds clean. Got it on EBAY for 200 and change, it's great thus far. I have no remotes in the boat, but the HU is right behind the driver, so it's central in the boat.

I very much like it. Jewel?? Not sure as I have a very basic stereo. It's a pretty solid marine HU though, I would probably get another one if mine crapped out. I originally replaced the cmd2 because we had a missing channel, but it turned out to be the amp. Gained IPOD connection though, and I love that.

Looks like the CMD5 has all the upgraded features like bluetooth and MP3, and is that a wireless remote too?? Nice. Looks like a sweet HU for marine use. 225 on ebay, that's what i paid for the cmd4 last year, cmd4 down to 150-180.

Maybe some stereophiles will chime in who may have it on their systems. If you have factory stuff it will probably be great, but I can't comment on higher end equipment.

(Message edited by Flux on March 23, 2007)
Old     (goodwin)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-24-2007, 10:13 AM Reply   
I have a Clarion XMD3 now, but I am planning an upgrade soon. I found a bunch of Clarion CMD5 head units on eBay for about $250 delivered (MSRP is $500) and the Clarion EA1276 iPod interface for $85 delivered (MSRP $150).
I already snagged a Clarion wired remote and extension for $150 (MSRP $250) off eBay.
I'm no stereo expert, but I think these upgrades will keep me happy for a long time.
Also, Clarion probably isn't the best marine unit out there, but it is the head unit of choice for the Nautique's and MB's.. so it will work fine for me!