Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 24, 2008

Old     (laraujo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-08-2008, 11:21 AM Reply   
OK, with $4 gallon likely by summer I am reconsidering putting my boat in local Carlsbad, snug harbor cove. (ocean lagoon) It is real close to where I live since San Vincente reservoir is now closed for next few years. I have been reading the testimonials about this Salt Away stuff for flushing your engine and spraying off your boat/trailer. Does anyone on the board, who use thier boat in salt water, and do not have closed cooling; use this stuff. What is your honest opinion and results? What do the rest of the board do for Salt water use of their boats for protection
Old     (stewart)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-08-2008, 12:23 PM Reply   
I would seriously check into a closed loop system. See if your engine manufacturer has one available as an upgrade.

If not, at least contact the manufacturer regarding zinc anodes and see if they have any specific places to put them on the block, mainfolds, drive unit, etc. You can google zinc anodes and do some research on what they do.

I have not put my 247 in saltwater and don't plan too. But when I lived in San Diego and use to ride around Fiesta Island on PWC's they all had zinc anodes in the heads. And they all were sacrificed. By the end of the season.

I have never really had any rust on the exterior of the engine, minus some minor surface rust. We always rinsed thoroughly.

As for the trailer, its going to get surface rust no matter what. Mostly in the welded joints and near anywhere it drains.

(Message edited by stewart on March 08, 2008)
Old     (hbskier)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-09-2008, 8:34 PM Reply   
I have used salt-a-way on an open system. I rebuilt the top half of my engine to upgrade to GT-40p heads, and was able to see after 70 hours in salt and very very little rust impact on the headers and block. The exhaust manifolds are another story though. The design of having a box channel within the riser allows for blockage to accumulate and the gaskets can absorb and hols in salt, consider replacing them at the end of the season. Use a lot of salt-a-way on your trailer and if you have drum brakes look into or make a brake flush kit for them.
Old    walt            03-09-2008, 8:44 PM Reply   
Do a search on saltwater. Iron is porous so there is no way your going to get all the salt out of it. If your using a painted trailer it's going to take a beating too. It's not just your engine that you have to worry about.

Gas will be cheaper than your maintenance bill.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-10-2008, 5:59 AM Reply   
I use salt away every time I put in to salt. Just remember to run the engine until the "thermostat" opens (around 180 to 200 degree I think) or you are wasting your time.
I have had zero issues with salt and my boat - but the trailer is another story. Start planning to replace your trailer with galvanized or aluminum in a couple years if you continue in the salt - I am currently in the market for an aluminum one.