Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old     (fast355)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-10-2008, 4:03 PM Reply   
Hey all-

I'm looking to construct a boat house with a cable lift, and need to find the "CG" of my 2004 X-Star.

Any other X-star owners out there have this info?

The lift I'm considering has 11' long bunks. My thought (based on my prior vert hoist experience) is that the rear bunks will essentially be flush with the transom, leaving the front 11' or so of boat out in front of the cradle/bunks, counter-balancing the weight of the engine/drive in the rear.

This is probably close, but I would like specifics and comments from others who have a similar set up.

Thanks!
Old     (ncsuuh)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-10-2008, 6:08 PM Reply   
Tim-

I hope all is well with your dock and lift process. I never heard back from you. Anyway, we are going to be out tomorrow riding after ~3 or so. Let me know if you want to meet up with us. We will be out until dark.
Old     (fast355)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-10-2008, 7:49 PM Reply   
Matt,

Ck your mail... I'd love to ride tomorrow!

TIM
Old     (lknboarder)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-10-2008, 8:11 PM Reply   
ok I learned this the hard way but don't forget the fresh water intake under the boat
Old     (fast355)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-10-2008, 8:23 PM Reply   
Mike,

Ahh yes...

What I have done on our last 4 boats is measure the trailer bunk set up, noting all under hull hardware, and replicated that set-up on the hoist.

Always worked well.

Mike, did you guys pick up the new boat yet? Is it in the water? It will be sweet....
Old     (lknboarder)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-11-2008, 7:36 AM Reply   
The boat is paid for but is still at the dealership we are waiting on the lift company to come and adjust the bunks from our old lift
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-11-2008, 8:17 AM Reply   
My neighbor on the lake has an 05 x-star in a cable lift. I'll try and take pictures if I remember.

dont' over analyze, it's nto a perfet science, as long as it's close it will owrk. My lift is made to fit a variety of baots...I've had in my lift ( and they all fit perfet ( 07 22SSV, 04 SSV, 05 x-star, 07 x-2, malibu 23 lsv, and a malibu vlx even had a couple jetskis once ( helped some stranded people on the lake) , lol.
Old     (mvl)      Join Date: May 2004       04-11-2008, 8:39 AM Reply   
if the bunks for the lift are toward the back of the boat as mentioned above you are all set. Maybe not flush with the transom, but no more than two feet or so forward. You want the belly of the boat resting on the lift. There is not a lot of weight in the nose comparatively speaking.
Old     (fast355)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-11-2008, 5:34 PM Reply   
Adam, That would be helpful. Thanks.

And, Adam and Mark, the CG (center of Gravity) is kinda important, it is optimal to have the fore to aft cables loaded equally. I need to get pretty close, because the boat, as it sits on the lift cradle, will ultimately dictate how the 30' boathouse roof will be positioned. I'm aiming to have the boat centered under the roof.

anyone with specific info from MC???

I'll call them Monday and see if I can find out what they list as the CG...

Thanks Guys!
Old     (lknboarder)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-11-2008, 6:07 PM Reply   
I know when we lifted our boat (before we broke the intake) we found that if you line up the Ski pylon with the rear guide post of our lift the boat was pretty solid

When we finally get ours finished and the boat on it I will send you some pics
Old     (fast355)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-17-2008, 1:36 PM Reply   
Hey guys,

Not that many probably really care (LOL!) But... for the very few that might interested:

Mastercraft stated the CG (Center of Gravity) on the 03-08 X stars is 7'4" forward of the transom.

This measurement might matter to some, like myself, who are constructing docks/lifts/boathouses. Ultimately, this is the point to be centered on the lift cradle, and will dictate the centerline of the my roof/boathouse system.

I'd hate to have mine slip off the front or back of the cradle like the infamous pic that circulated around WW!!
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-17-2008, 1:42 PM Reply   
I would venture to say the the guy who built my boathouse does not evne know what gravity is let alone center of gravity....to measure my boat for the craddle, he literally crawled under my boat ( w/ a cigg. in his mounth) mubled something, asked me the beam and said I'll have it done by Friday...lol. Make sure you set up the pulleys to lift 6klbs, and you should be good to go.
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-17-2008, 3:12 PM Reply   
This is the correct placement for your boat.

Upload
Old    falcon_v            04-17-2008, 3:18 PM Reply   
O that is why MC has pickle forks I get it now