Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old    gotpwr            04-27-2003, 8:07 PM Reply   
Since there are about 3 threads a day on tower speakers I figured I would start my own.j/k, I just finished mine and I thought someone might want to see what I did. Basically, I mounted four Kicker SS600 speakers together using some 3/8" x 2" aluminum flat stock and then mounted the whole thing to the tower with two Boss clamps. Total cost was about $340. Here is the cost breakdown and some pics.
- New pair of Kicker SS600 speakers from Crutchfield $140 shipped.
- Used pair of Kicker SS600 speakers from Ebay $60 shipped.
- New pair of Boss clamps from Wakeside $100 shipped.
- Aluminum bar stock, fasteners, and paint $40.

Old     (ofwc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-27-2003, 8:17 PM Reply   
Looks great! How does it sound???!!!
Old    whitechocolate            04-27-2003, 8:36 PM Reply   
The best looking tower speaker set up for $340 I have seen, Nice job way to go. How did you run your wire's for the speaker's threw the tower?
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-27-2003, 9:02 PM Reply   
WOW - That's a great job Dan. It looks like a really clean install. Can you send me some details via private post, I want to add that to www.diyTower.com.

I also want to ride behind that setup - and calibrate our TURN IT UP hand signals!

Bill
Old    gotpwr            04-28-2003, 7:48 AM Reply   
BT, It sounds awesome. I've only got a $40 used Kenwood amp sending 37.5W RMS to each speaker so these speakers must be pretty efficient. My next step is get a new amp and put 100W RMS to each speaker.

Grant, I ran the wires through the tower tubing. The wires go into the front tube and down the right side in front of the windshield. It was somewhat of a pain, it just took some string and and some patience.
Old    k2_mn            04-28-2003, 8:03 AM Reply   
Dan what kind of boxes are those in? I cant find the SS600 on critchfield.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-28-2003, 10:22 AM Reply   
Can the speakers rotate? I'm very interested in how it sounds, you'll have to keep us updated. You might have yourself a little business if you wanted to sell one!
Old    gotpwr            04-28-2003, 10:58 AM Reply   
Craig, the SS600 was discontinued by Kicker. The new version is the KB600: http://www.kicker.com/ShowPage.cfm?filename=frboxes.html&menu=PRODUCTS
Last time I checked Crutchfield had "low stock" on the SS600, but it's looks like the're out of them and haven't received the KB600 yet.

Utah Rob, the speakers are fixed. I don't know about selling these, getting them done that cheap involved some luck in finding the used pair of speakers in good condition and getting the Boss clamps for $100(I found a mistake on Wakeside's website).

Bill, I have some pictures of the construction process, so I 'll put something together when I get time and email it to you.

(Message edited by gotpwr on April 28, 2003)

(Message edited by gotpwr on April 28, 2003)