Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 15, 2008

Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       10-10-2008, 4:25 PM Reply   
I am planning to build a switched ballast system in my Sanger v215, which currently has no ballast system at all, I have bought three ballast puppys (reversible)

Optimum setup would be to have two vent/overflow tubes out the side, one for each of the vdrive sacs and tee in for the locker sack to one of the others to only have two holes in the side of the boat.

As far as the fill lines I want to have them thru the transom on either side of the drain plug hole.

Here's my issue, I would like to fill and empty out of the thru transom holes, however when emptying I won't know when the sacks are all empty because they will empty underwater thru the transom.

The pumps have a run dry shutoff protection built in but I don't want to always bump against that

So what can I do?? some have suggested timing it on empty but I am easily distracted, also I plan to build covers over the vdrive sacs so I can still use the storage and they will basically be hidden, so i won't be able to simply look to see if empty.

I was thinking if I could put a 1 way check valve that when emptying diverts the water out another hole by the drivers side then I could hear when it would be done emptying, but not sure if such a valve system exists.

Thanks for the help
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       10-10-2008, 9:45 PM Reply   
This is the main problem I have with ballast puppys. Aerators would work better so the boat could 'pee' over the side instead of underneath, like a girl.

If you put a check valve on the fill line to stop water from backflowing out the intake and then T in a second line that goes out the side of the boat, you can divert the discharge pump to go over the side of the boat. That puts a few extra clamps in the hose, which to me is always an opportunity for failure, but you can get what you want with the ballast puppys.
Old     (bmr82)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-11-2008, 2:36 AM Reply   
From what I have heard, when you start seeing air bubbles coming up from the transom, the bags are empty.
Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       10-11-2008, 3:05 AM Reply   
Interesting question Scott.

The 2009 Moomba Outback V uses three Jabsco reversible pumps and has the fill/drain ports located on the bottom of the hull. Each sac has it's own vent thru hole.

I have not taken delivery of the boat yet.

My plans were to start filling/draining rear and ski locker ballast at the same time and simply keep an eye on the ski locker ballast to see if is filled or drained.

The ski locker can easily be opened by driver.

But, when I replace the stock rear 400 lb bags with 750's I'll have the same issue as you. How do you know the bags are empty without checking??

I'll ask some questions about this on the Moomba forum. Hopefully the factory guys will chime in.

I'll get back to you with my findings.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-11-2008, 5:36 AM Reply   
Scott,

With a check-valve and a "Y" in the fill line, between the thru-hull and pump, will allow the water to divert to a side drain thru-hull with the pump in reverse. You will also need a check-valve in the drain line between the "Y" and the drain thru-hull to prevent the pump from drawing air when filling.

With a truly automated system, you should not have to stand over sacs watching them or looking for bubbles at the transom. I like to know the sac(s) are empty when they stop pissing over the side, and I can turn the pump off.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       10-11-2008, 1:58 PM Reply   
Tige has gone for years without an available ballast system, then in recent years they did have a system, but the system that came from the factory has had some disadvantages. Now the 2009 ballast system is perfect, IMO.

For these reasons, I humbly state that Tige owners know a lot about installing these and you would do even better to come visit us at Tigeowners.com and see a few of the threads there. Some guys have the DIY stuff pretty well perfected. There are multiple step by step tutorials and pics. You would have to make up a login to see the pics, but you won't get spammed so come over and see us there.
Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       10-12-2008, 6:49 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info, I think i will try the method with the check valves, and probably put them in an accessible space due to the point that talltigeguy said about adding extra stuff to possibly fail.

Anyone ever built covers over the vdrive sacs? I plan to do 1" tube and bolting a piece of ply on it,

Round tube has no edges....

I'll check out the tige page as well...

Any good vendors for buying all the thru hull hardware, fittings and hose?
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       10-12-2008, 7:12 PM Reply   
I had soft sacks on my boat and never once felt the desire to cover them. The storage compartments were already half full of stuff, so you never saw them. When I did have a very wet day, it was that much easier to just pull out the sacks and let the floor dry.

Plywood and water are not always a good combo.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-13-2008, 6:27 AM Reply   
"Any good vendors for buying all the thru hull hardware, fittings and hose?

www.foreandaftmarine.com
www.flexPCV.com
www.Boatfix.com
Lowes
www.marineeast.com
www.foreandaftmarine.com

For your hose, I would recommend something like the spiral-wound wire reinforced hose or stiffer because those impeller style pumps can draw a vacuum and collapse other types of hose.
Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       10-13-2008, 7:20 AM Reply   
Scott, I promised I'd get back to you when I got an answer.

Skiers Choice's response will not apply the DIY system, but thought you might be interested in reading about the new Gravity 3 system that uses the Jabsco pumps:

Here ya go guys - new for 2009 - the ballast system has been improved to know when the bags are dry and shut off. The system "detects" a run dry situation and shuts the pumps down to avoid damaging them. The bags fill in 4.5 minutes and timers will shut the pumps off at that point. If, for some reason you need more ballast pumped in, hit the fill switch again and you'll get another minute of fill time. AND - if you've done this to total fill time of > 10 minutes the pumps will shut off after 10 minutes of draining. The timers are programmable so owners can customize the fill time if neccessary.