Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (havasu_sue)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-22-2009, 1:41 PM Reply   
not having good luck with night shots,boat tower lighting isnt bright enough.
does anyone have any ideas on what the best lighting would be for night shots in the water?
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-23-2009, 8:39 AM Reply   
Uhhhh, not shooting at night? Lol.

I have an HG-10 as well, and generally shooting at night hasn't worked out well for me. However, I recently made a time lapse of a chunk of my drive back to campus, and with the street lamps on the highway that I was using, I actually got some really good quality footage.

You're trying to film the rider I'm assuming? If that's the case, I'd recommend throwing a back behind the boat on a tube, and having them shine a light on the rider to help illuminate them. I'm not sure how well that would work with the HG10's light sensor, but it's worth a shot. One thing that has to be realized is that the HG10 is really only a consumer quality camera, so it's capability of filming at night is relatively restricted compared to say, the cameras that are used for professional videos and such.
Old     (havasu_sue)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-26-2009, 9:21 AM Reply   
much appreciated Mr.Schrein.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-26-2009, 9:33 AM Reply   
The single sensor in the HG10 may be more light sensitive then most 3 chip pro models, that's going to be tough to shoot with any cam!
Old     (havasu_sue)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-27-2009, 1:01 PM Reply   
HG10 more light sensitive then most 3 chip models?
is this good or bad?
will changing flash options help? or should i leave it in auto mode?
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-27-2009, 3:47 PM Reply   
More sensitive in the sense that most 1 chip sensor models (even on consumer cams) have a larger single chip then the 3 individual chips found in prosumer cams. Larger means better light gathering.

My point was that having a pro cam doesn't mean better low light capability chip wise. The electronic gain hardware is usually better in pro cams though but not enough to make shooting WBing at night realistic.

Bottom line is you need to light the rider up somehow, there is really no other way of dealing with it.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-27-2009, 8:59 PM Reply   
hey rich, the ex3 is BAD ASS!!!

as you were.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-28-2009, 6:13 AM Reply   
Joe,

1/2" full raster CMOS sensors have a big advantage in capturing data over the traditional 1/4" CCD's that use pixel shift technology (which Canon and Panny are still using in their cams at this level.) Sony figured out how to deal with the heat issues with CMOS so I'm sure Canon will be joining the party soon.

Post some footy up somewhere or send me a file when you get a chance and I'd like to hear more about your current project when you have the time.