Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 01, 2004

Old    ilovetrains            06-16-2004, 8:23 AM Reply   
Dealer wants to sell a Nautique 226, 2003 model never sold, about 20-30 demo hours. 335 engine (standard) TE with few options (other than the engine, there really aren't that many) on tandem trailer for 54K.

I am about two months from being able to afford a new boat. Trying to figure out how good this deal is. The dealers check this board so will know I am checking.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-16-2004, 9:22 AM Reply   
I never priced the 226, so am not much help there. But it looks like there is one on boattrader without a trailer for $55,900, so I will assume that is a good deal.

Past two(only) boat purchases have been leftover boats. One new, one a demo. I think there is no better deal to be found than a leftover boat. The only thing you miss out on is the chance to pick your color.

Added bonus, you get the full warranty, starts the day you purchase the boat. 20-30 hours the boat is broke in, all service done by the dealer. With the Team package, you are pretty loaded up.

May want to ask this question at http://planetnautique.com

Good luck.

E.J.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-16-2004, 10:16 AM Reply   
Looks like MSRP on the 226 with the Team package is $67,000. Tandem trailer anywhere from $2,500-$5,000.... So with a very cheap tandem, looks like you would be getting 20% off MSRP, which is IMO, a smoking deal.

Just numbers from Planet Nautique...but sounds about right.

E.J.
Old    leggester            06-16-2004, 10:29 AM Reply   
20-30 hours and a demo boat is NEVER broken in.

Just beware.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-16-2004, 10:56 AM Reply   
Matt...that surprises me, though I am no expert on break in. Why do you feel this way? Quite a few of idle hours?

E.J.
Old    ilovetrains            06-16-2004, 11:10 AM Reply   
EJ - I looked at planetnautique - looks like guys that felt they were getting a good deal were at about 10% of list.

I am kinda worried about that many hours demo - it probably ran flat out the whole time.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-16-2004, 11:30 AM Reply   
Most people going out to demo a boat, IMO, aren't trying to see how fast it is going to go. Usually just going for a ride, checking out the wake at ski and wakeboard speeds. Turning radius, rough water ride, comfort on the water..bla..bla..bla. There is a rep from the dealer there the whole time to watch over things.

Of course it is your cash, so you have to be 100% comfortable with your purchase. But personally, 20-30 demo hours would not even figure into my decision. If anything, I would see it as a bonus, like I said above, I think it would be broke in for you.

5 year bow to stern warranty...best in the business if you did have a problem.

E.J.
Old    ilovetrains            06-24-2004, 6:45 PM Reply   
Well - just saw it and not quite as advertised. It is a limited (I may have just assumed it was TE as that is what we had been talking about) with a tower. No balast, no racks, no stereo upgrade, well you get the idea. But, the price seams even more negotiable than before. Very strange color combination. I either hate it or love it, not sure which.

Now does it sound still sound like a good deal?
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-25-2004, 9:54 AM Reply   
Remember, the team edition is just an option package...same boat with different options and different stickers. You could option the boat out as a team before delivery.

Stereo upgrade is not worth much.... Personally I think it is better to upgrade yourself, much higher quality for the money.

Tower with no racks... You can get racks from Fluid Concepts. Great racks, inexpensive.

Ballast is relative. I prefer to have it...and as a stock option. I assume it would be very hard and/or expensive for the dealer to put hard tanks in after the fact. The fact is, when you want to put some weight in your boat and you don't have standard ballast....you end up filling sacks, which I find to be a pain in the rear. Personally....I would have the hard tanks(flat back, center tank and helm ballast controls) installed before delivery.

Color combo is relative... For the most part, I don't really care about color....blue, red, black, purple whatever.... But with that said, I have seen some boat color combos that would turn me off a boat, regardless of the relative cost.

Anyway....if there is more wiggle room, I would start working in options and leave the price where it is. Like I said before, I thought it was a smoking price for a TE. You could tell 'um you'll take it at that price optioned out like a team????

Aftermarket items you may also want to look at are snap covers(some love 'um, some don't) and a bimini.

Also remember, I have never priced this boat personally at a dealer. Just giving you an idea as to what I read.

Good luck.

E.J