Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 26, 2006

Old     (dubs_ucla)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-07-2006, 11:23 AM Reply   
Do the 750 lb. fly high sacs fit in the rear storage compartments of a VLX?

Does anybody add those with full ballast and a bunch of weight up front?

I want the 750s for surfing purposes
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-07-2006, 11:55 AM Reply   
Yes they should fit in the 2005 and newer VLX's. It will be tight and you might not be able to fill them up all the way but they should fit decently none the less.

You will definitley need a lot of weight in the bow if you fill the 750's all the way for wakeboarding.
Old     (dubs_ucla)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-07-2006, 12:00 PM Reply   
no problem with filling them partially as well right? i will most likely fill them 1/2 way for wakeboarding and only fully for surfing?

I have the factory bow ballast.

Assuming the factory system is full everywhere and I have ~800-1000 lbs in the rear, what kind of additional weight will i want up front?
Old     (ncbschzzt)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-07-2006, 12:26 PM Reply   
Make sure you fill your stock rear ballast before filling these 750's. You could destory those plastic tanks. Also make sure you add about 500+ to the front for wakeboarding, with the rear full. So in total around 700 up front.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-07-2006, 1:43 PM Reply   
They also fit in pre '04 rear lockers. I run two in the back, and one more that I put in either the walk-thru for boarding or along the port side for surfing. Works great.
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       11-08-2006, 10:08 AM Reply   
I run that in the '06 trunks, full.
The only issue I had was when I hadn't plubmed the system, getting to the connections to take off and cap, and take on and off the pump was difficult once they were full. I am going to trim down that carpeted divider that the trunk hydrolic thing attaches to so they can fill all the way without pushing back on that.

I run an additional 400 or so in the nose and no wedge...it is nice
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       11-08-2006, 10:09 AM Reply   
on filling the hard tanks first, I use the reversible simer pumps. So, I start them all at once because the hard tanks fill much faster than my system, so by the time the hard tanks are full I've got maybe 1/4 of the sack full.

On draining, I try to remember to start the sacks draining first and let them get a good half way before I kick in the MLS rear draining. Haven't had issues yet
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-08-2006, 1:13 PM Reply   
Brooke,

Next year we should think about running the overflow from the tanks into the bags to help them fill faster. I don't think there would be a downside to doing that. There should be enough connections on the bags to do it.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       11-08-2006, 1:33 PM Reply   
Wayne,

I have a 22SSV and have the 750lb bags in the rear, and do not fill on the way when wakeboarding , but bought them to fill as much as I can to surf...even then they can't fill all the way, but will still take up the whole locker. FYI, You locker is alot bigger than mine. In hind sight I probably should have gotten the v-drive bags and filled them as much as I could. there is a failry large price diff beteween the two. And I know I don't get the full 750 out of the bag when either surfing or wakeboarding.
Old     (dubs_ucla)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-09-2006, 7:42 AM Reply   
What is the best weight up front. is there a sac, or should i go with some lead?
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-09-2006, 8:11 AM Reply   
Have I missed where you said what year your VLX is?

IMO some lead is ok, but not a replacement for water (dumpable) ballast. If you had enough lead in the nose to offset the rear sacks, the boat wouldn't be driveable with the sacks empty. Also too much permanent ballast in the nose sucks for recovery onto the trailer, and towing.
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       11-09-2006, 3:29 PM Reply   
I use lead up front, pop-bags.

It is kind of annoying when the system is empty, I usually haul them back into the rear/middle of the boat or I'm really nose heavy. It also caused issues with our boat/track system, kind of like a trailer that pulls it on tracks into the boat house. So, putting the weight in the back works good.

We don't do much cruising without ballast so having it in the front isn't an issue other than on/off the lift. We only do that in fall and spring when the shore station is out.
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       11-09-2006, 3:30 PM Reply   
Stan, I love you idea about the overflow into the sacks and then just venting the sacks out after that! I can't think of a reason not to do that either! That should fill it up in half the time or less, sounds great to me