Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 26, 2006

Old     (wakeshoe)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-31-2006, 8:19 AM Reply   
Nearing end of season, I finally bit the bullet and bought a new trailerable boat cover. I looked at many different kinds, but I kept coming back to the sharp looking pictures of the Malibus with the Covercraft covers. This is the first one Covercrafts made for a 2004 Moomba Mobius LSV, but I really am stoked about it. I absolutely hated the stock cover with all the poles. In addition, I had to use a tripod in the rear and an upside down flower pot in the nose to keep the rain from pooling on the cover. The new cover has no poles and no rain pooling. I have no connection whatsoever with Covercrafts, but I would strongly recommend them. Here are some pictures of the old cover and my new cover. Pretty sad when a new boat cover makes your day. Now I just need to replace my guide pole covers.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-31-2006, 8:28 AM Reply   
wakeshoe, cover looks great.

what made you go with this brand vs. rankin

also what kind of money if you don't mind me asking.
Old     (wakeshoe)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-31-2006, 8:50 AM Reply   
I looked at Rankin as one option. Their quote was in the same ballpark as the Covercrafts price ($800+ range). What made the difference was Rankin uses a thinner material and Covercrafts uses Sunbrella material. Covercrafts covers come with a 5 year Sunbrella warranty against fade, mildew and rot. Also, from my research the stitching on the Covercrafts covers is more durable. Also, I understand Cory from Covercrafts used to work at Rankin and started Covercrafts to implement improvements over the Rankin covers. I think both covers would do very well and both Rankin and Covercrafts were very responsive to my questions, but I couldn't get the picture of the Malibu with the cover on Covercrafts website out of my mind - it just looked so sharp.

While somewhat pricey, for what I got I am very satisfied - especially when the replacement cover from Skier's Choice was in the $695 range and I NEVER liked that cover in the first place. If you look at the old cover picture, you can see the poles and other items jutting up in my attempt to avoid water pooling. With just the three poles that come with the old cover, I would have three areas where I had significant amounts of water pooling - so bad that I used a pump we fill fat sacs with to bail out the water.

The old cover only lasted 2.5 years. I anticipate the new cover lasting significantly longer (5-10 years).
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-31-2006, 8:58 AM Reply   
wakeshow, i agree about the factory covers from sc. i hate putting the poles in and the fact that you cannot tow with in on.

how difficult is this cover to put on.
Old     (wakeshoe)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-31-2006, 9:23 AM Reply   
It takes about 5 minutes to put on and take off. With the old cover I had to have someone in the boat to take out the seats in the rear, set up the tripod, etc. With the new cover, you don't need to get in the boat at all. You start from the front and unroll it. With the side, zippered tower boots, you get a nice secure fit which makes putting it on in windy conditions much easier than my old cover. The rope that goes thru the edge of the cover is zippered in and has a metal attach, unlike the plastic attaches on the old cover. In the rear, I used to tie off the ropes on the tow hooks in the rear. The new cover has a really slick gadget that looks kind of like a pulley, but keeps the rope tight as you pull the rope. You push a button to release the rope for removing the cover.
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-31-2006, 1:37 PM Reply   
Have you towed with it and do you need additional tie straps to the trailer
Old     (wakeshoe)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-31-2006, 2:46 PM Reply   
I towed with it today - it doesn't require any additional straps. Top speed was 70mph and the cover never moved. It is made for a really tight fit for that purpose.
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-31-2006, 4:02 PM Reply   
wakeshoe, i just got a quote from cory and hoping to upgrade to the cover you have..

thanks for the info...
Old     (sangerlover)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-01-2006, 6:56 AM Reply   
FWIW--
Cory does NOT make covers for Sangers in case anybody has a interest. I went with Rankin for this reason.
Old     (san210nut)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-02-2006, 12:15 PM Reply   
What is the contact information for them?
Old    redneckonaboard06            11-02-2006, 12:20 PM Reply   
That's a very sweet lookin' cover.

I'm glad you posted this too, I love the way the tower cut outs have the elastic and zipper on them. I'm having my cover altered for my tower and going to have it done like that.
Old     (sangerlover)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-02-2006, 12:21 PM Reply   
http://covercrafts.com/Covercrafts.html