Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 14, 2003

Old     (ryin)      Join Date: May 2002       10-31-2003, 8:22 PM Reply   
I know this is not a wake topic, but i need lots of answers/opinions and this section gets the most viewing. Im writing a paper on how skiing/snowboarding can be portrayed as a lifestyle or not a lifestyle. I need your help to answer these questions (they dont have to be real long), you can email them to me if you like at hyp@hotmail.com

For skiers/Riders

1. On average how many trips do you take each year?
2. How far/long do you travel to the mountain?
3. What kind of mountain do you prefer (ex. small and quiet, large and busy)and why?
4. What kind of terrain do you prefer and why?
5. What are your likes and dislikes about skiing/Riding (anything from weather-the people) and why?
6. What type of weather do you like to ski in and why?
7. If you had the oppertunity to go ski/ride more often would you?
8. Does your job/school or other reasons limit the amount of times you go and why?
9. If you had the oppertunity to live near a mountain would you and why?
10. On a scale 1-10 how would you rate how much of your mind is into skiing/Riding in the winter?
11. When will the first and last time be out skiing/riding and why?
12. Tell me any other ideas why you think skiing/riding is or is not a good lifestyle to live.

For non-skier/riders

1. Do you have any interest in skiing/riding, what makes you interested or why are you not interested?
2. Would you ever want to learn to ski/ride and why?
3. What keeps you from learning if your intersted?
4. What are your interests in the winter months?
5. If you feel another hobby or sport is a lifestyle for you, tell me why you feel this way.
6. Even if your interested or not, why do you thing skiing/riding would be a good or bad lifestyle to live.

I may have more questions if they come to mind. I really appreciate everything, the more answers i get the better my grade will be (hopefully .)
Thank you
-Ryan
Old     (depswa)      Join Date: Nov 2000       10-31-2003, 11:56 PM Reply   
For skiers/Riders

1. On average how many trips do you take each year? For me 10-12 (I'd recommend asking what type of financial demographic that the sample falls into also..it will make it easier to gauge your response in relation to how much residual income each holusehold has each year) e-mail me and I'll give you our estimated earnings/yr.

Isn't this a wakeboarding site? Anyway...I travel 1.5 hours for barely ridable snow...2.5 hours for better snow with a great park...4.5 hours for Amazing snow and an exceptional park. Or, I'll fly 1.5 hours for epic snow and gambling! As far as wakeboarding I drive 30-40 mins for anyday riding. 1.5 hours for great conditions with minimal effort...or 4-8 hours for a camping trip with a houseboat or cabin and ride 4-5 days in a row.

3. What kind of mountain do you prefer (ex. small and quiet, large and busy)and why?
I prefer a big mountain mid-week to get the best of both worlds, but If I had to choose, I'd take the large one just because the terrain is usually better. For wakeboarding, I'd rather have a quiet small lake if it means glass all day.

The park or anything with kickers and obstacles...why? AIR! On water...butter...self explanatory!

5. What are your likes and dislikes about skiing/Riding (anything from weather-the people) and why?
It's expensive...wakeboarding or snowboarding, a good day will cost you $40-50 bux minimum.

I actually like the spring. Warm weather is nice. Less crowds, but The mid-winter powder is awesome too...It's a toss up! Wakeboarding=anytime! We ride all year...usually get better water in the winter, but it isn't as enjoyable as the warm weather, but with the warm weather comes the crowds and rollers!

7. If you had the oppertunity to go ski/ride more often would you?
Sure

8. Does your job/school or other reasons limit the amount of times you go and why?
Yes...financially and temporally (look it up if you need to

Please spell opportunity correctly on your paper! However this question is really subjective and hard to answer. There are so many variables...can't really answer without about an hour worth of time.

10. On a scale 1-10 how would you rate how much of your mind is into skiing/Riding in the winter?
8-9 for both wakeboarding and snowboarding

huh?

12. Tell me any other ideas why you think skiing/riding is or is not a good lifestyle to live.
It all depends on what you are into. I think it is a great escape from the daily grind. However, I can see that if someone gets too involved, it can be a distraction from responsibility...Like playing guitar for a living or something

I hope this helps! I remember what it was like to be a student and I empathize with you. SO please do not take offense to my sarcasm above. Crap...I took the time to write all this out didn't I? Good luck, and remember to give me footnote and endnote credits! Just kidding Bro! HAVE FUN!
Old     (ryin)      Join Date: May 2002       11-01-2003, 9:16 AM Reply   
no offense taking, thanks for your response. I noticed i had spelt opportunity wrong after i hit the submit button. Thanks again
Old     (ryin)      Join Date: May 2002       11-01-2003, 2:30 PM Reply   
please you guys, i have to have answers really soon to get my paper done.
Old    beerdrnknboardr            11-01-2003, 4:00 PM Reply   
1. On average how many trips do you take each year? 25
2. How far/long do you travel to the mountain? 2-3hr
3. What kind of mountain do you prefer (ex. small and quiet, large and busy)and why? Big with little begginer terrain, for fewer newbies and plenty of fresh pow when its there
4. What kind of terrain do you prefer and why? Powder in the trees, its fun
5. What are your likes and dislikes about skiing/Riding (anything from weather-the people) and why? grass, dirt, people who run into me
6. What type of weather do you like to ski in and why? the tail end of a huge powdery storm cuz there are plenty of fresh tracks to be made
7. If you had the oppertunity to go ski/ride more often would you? Yes
8. Does your job/school or other reasons limit the amount of times you go and why? School and money keep me from riding every day
9. If you had the oppertunity to live near a mountain would you and why? probably, to ride every day
10. On a scale 1-10 how would you rate how much of your mind is into skiing/Riding in the winter? 9.547
11. When will the first and last time be out skiing/riding and why? WHAT DOES THIS MEAN???
Old    beerdrnknboardr            11-01-2003, 4:03 PM Reply   
and if you get a better grade for more people doing this just make up a bunch of different ones yourself.
Old     (ryin)      Join Date: May 2002       11-02-2003, 3:54 PM Reply   
i need more than two responses! I appreciate the ones who have helped me out, but i need more! #11 means, when will the first time and last time you go ski/ride (ex. opening day-closing day, or november-march.)
Old    beerdrnknboardr            11-02-2003, 4:39 PM Reply   
ok, well for number 11 i dont really set the dates out like that here in cali. two years ago i rode on new years eve and new years day if you want to set those for my first and last days of the year. I like to try and go at least once a month, if not more.
Old     (jamesb)      Join Date: Sep 2001       11-03-2003, 9:01 PM Reply   
1. On average how many trips do you take each year? 5-7 days on the mountain.
2. How far/long do you travel to the mountain? 6 hours
3. What kind of mountain do you prefer (ex. small and quiet, large and busy)and why? Ultimately large and quiet, but I am happy to go anywhere as long as it is quiet (small and quiet preferable).
4. What kind of terrain do you prefer and why? All mountain, I like putting in big fast turns, but also big jumps in the terrain park.
5. What are your likes and dislikes about skiing/Riding (anything from weather-the people) and why? People doing dangerous, stupid things. Not going big but stopping in a dangerous spot that puts themselves and others in danger. Also people who don't respect their equipment.
6. What type of weather do you like to ski in and why? No wind, sunny or snowing heavy. But most importantly, no wind.
7. If you had the oppertunity to go ski/ride more often would you? Yes. Funds and time off work usually stop this considering the mountain is a 6 hour drive away. In Australia a lift ticket is also $80 per day.
8. Does your job/school or other reasons limit the amount of times you go and why? As previous yes. Its too far to go for a day and it is something that you have to book accomodation way in advance (tents can get cold at night in the snow, I know I have tried a few times).
9. If you had the oppertunity to live near a mountain would you and why? Yes, snowskiing is my favourite thing to do in the world, but my occupation means that I will be in a large city as that is where the my type of job is.
10. On a scale 1-10 how would you rate how much of your mind is into skiing/Riding in the winter? 9, that is all I think about. The 1 is for the small chance that we will put the boat in the water for a wakeboard in winter (its ok in wetsuits).
11. When will the first and last time be out skiing/riding and why? Australian season is short. from mid June to early October, but only usually get good snow from late July to mid September. Always try to get down there late August for atleast 4-5 days and a weekend early if the season is good.
12. Tell me any other ideas why you think skiing/riding is or is not a good lifestyle to live. Healthy sport wise, good way to escape the daily grind and recharge. Also makes winter fun rather then cold and ugly.
Old     (ryin)      Join Date: May 2002       11-03-2003, 9:06 PM Reply   
i have another question to add,

Do you feel you live the skiing/riding lifestyle or is it just a recreation that you enjoy on the weekends and sometimes the weekdays. If you feel you live the lifestyle, why do you feel this way?

thanks
-Ryan
Old     (jamesb)      Join Date: Sep 2001       11-04-2003, 2:45 PM Reply   
Don't feel that I live the lifestyle, only enjoy it as a recreation. Would like to but committments restrict this: mortgage, wife, career, I like the beach too much, etc
Old     (ryin)      Join Date: May 2002       11-05-2003, 8:54 PM Reply   
anybody else?
Old    cbreed            11-05-2003, 10:41 PM Reply   
For skiers/Riders

1. On average how many trips do you take each year? Trips to the mountain is about 30-40, depending on the year

2. How far/long do you travel to the mountain? Usually 45 min, but further on extended weekends.(last year I drove from seattle to saltlake city)

3. What kind of mountain do you prefer (ex. small and quiet, large and busy)and why? Large and quiet. Because it is sweet when you can explore places and not see another person all day.

4. What kind of terrain do you prefer and why? Step and deep, because thats the way it is.

5. What are your likes and dislikes about skiing/Riding (anything from weather-the people) and why? Rain, because it sucks to be wet all day long.

6. What type of weather do you like to ski in and why? SUN, it pumps me full of energy.

7. If you had the oppertunity to go ski/ride more often would you? Of course.

8. Does your job/school or other reasons limit the amount of times you go and why? Yea college sucks, it gets in the way of the hill, but one day I will have enough $ to take the winter off, and the summer!

9. If you had the oppertunity to live near a mountain would you and why? Yes, mountain towns are the best, hot girls and snow!

10. On a scale 1-10 how would you rate how much of your mind is into skiing/Riding in the winter? 9

11. When will the first and last time be out skiing/riding and why? Opening day and closing day. Opening day because I have been waiting for it and closing day because it is the last day to go for a long time.

12. Tell me any other ideas why you think skiing/riding is or is not a good lifestyle to live. It is a great lifestyle because life is short and people need to life the life, ski/board as much as you can,}} work later.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       11-06-2003, 11:42 AM Reply   
For skiers/Riders

1. On average how many trips do you take each year?
Every year I take about ten trips up north. I'll stay at our cottage, ride for a day, and then go home. Trips aren't all that necessary because I live by a hill.

20 Minutes.

I would prefer a larger mountain/hill because of the variety of terrain. In wisconsin, we have some decent hills (700 foot vertical drop--quit laughing!!) and we have some really tiny hills (tyrol basin--really, really short runs but great park features). More importantly, I prefer riding when it's quiet because then you don't have to worry about people getting in the way. This could range from a group of 10 kids that just don't ride that well and hold you up, or a curious skier side stepping up the table top.
I like everything for variety, but I spend most of my time in the park

I dislike really, really cold weather and hard, icy snow.
Warmer weather, like 25-30F ish. It's more comfortable to ride in weather like that, and in the spring the snow will soften up a bit.

7. If you had the oppertunity to go ski/ride more often would you? Yep.

It will this year becuase I won't be doing as many online courses.

I live close enough. But yeah, I would because I love to ride. Plus, after riding for a day, it sucks to drive 2.5 hours back home.
10. In the winter, snowboarding is all I care about. I dont' even watch any wakeboarding videos.

Last is always the closing day. First depends on school (but it's still within the opening week). This year it will be much, much later becuase of a knee injury.
It just depends on the person and what they're into. Snowboarding is something I'm good at and i love to do it. IF it's not fun it wont' be a lifestyle.
13.Do you feel you live the skiing/riding lifestyle or is it just a recreation that you enjoy on the weekends and sometimes the weekdays. If you feel you live the lifestyle, why do you feel this way?

For me it's a way of life. Not only do I ride, but I like to collect memorabilia that includes boards, magazines, videos, stickers, other random stuff. I just love snowboarding (and other boardsports, for that matter) so I have chosen to make it lifestyle.

good luck with your paper. I hope this helps.