Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (point1234)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-28-2006, 1:46 PM Reply   
I have an 06 x1 and want to get into wakesurfing. what are some of the things that i need to get a good wake behind the boat. As a good wakesurf board and anyother goodies.
Old     (madison_boarder)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-29-2006, 2:08 PM Reply   
DJ, no one's replied :-(
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-29-2006, 2:43 PM Reply   
OK I'll bite. Get a good rope, thick, knotted, and with a tiny Y handle, or more preferably a tiny T-handle.

Get some fat sacks, stock ballast will be marginal. I need about 1200 lbs to get a surfing wake, but 1500 lbs, plus 5 or 6 people is much better. All of the ballast goes on one side of the boat, the side your surfing on. Experiment, move the ballast around. Building a good surf wake can be a black art, and a very good lifting work out, for now it's all tribal knowledge.

Get a good board, OK how do you do that. I think some of us can help but we at least need to know how much you weigh. Are you going to ride with friends, how much do they weigh? One board doesn’t fit all, but generally a smaller person can get away with riding an over sized board. My daughter weighs a little over 100 lbs, my Red Tide is far too larger for her, she has a hard time pushing the board in the water when we pull her up. She rides the Broadcast.

I have a few boards, a Trick Boardz Mojo, a Broadcast 5.6, and an Inland Surfer Red Tide. For an event I’m running next week I also have an Inland Surfer Blue, an Inland Surfer Orange, and a Shred Stixx, Stixxreme. I’ve ridden all six, plus a few other odds and ends. If your a big man you might want a larger Shred Stixx or a Red Tide. If you under 220 the Inland Surfer Blue might be good, or you might want to check with Shred Stixx, The Walker Project, and XBC.

I really like my Trick Boardz Mojo, however, it did take a little more time for me to warm up to it, might be a very good second board. I’ve been able to surf behind my boat as fast as 15 mph on the Mojo, man that’s fun!! Last week Larry Mann sent a pair of 1 inch fins for the Mojo, it’s like a whole new board, very lose, a lot of fun. If you’re a skate boarder or a wake skater you might want to look at some of the skim boards, I think the Calibrated boards are skim style, the Inland Surfer Orange and Yellow are skim style (too small for me). I think most of the skim boards are kind of small, I probably weigh too much to ride them, the Mojo is at least one exception.

Also, check in on this forum once in a while, lots of good information. Good luck, tell us how it worked out and never be neglected again.