Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (RJJR)      Join Date: May 2010       05-17-2010, 2:47 PM Reply   
I have had to replace my board racks the past two summers because I have bought the cheap ones off of ebay. Where is a place that I can find a decent pair of board racks that will last me a couple years that will not cost me a whole lot of money. I do not need them to swing in, just something that does the job and last a couple of years
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-17-2010, 3:06 PM Reply   
I had a pair of Fluid Concepts board racks and they great. I would by another pair if I needed them. They did not swing though. Rosswell makes some that swing. Good racks will cost you some coin.
Old     (ndavis03)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-17-2010, 3:59 PM Reply   
Nice Rack are good quality, and priced right.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-17-2010, 5:12 PM Reply   
I have had racks from Nice Rack, Skylon, Wake Designs, DIY wake and Bullet lines. All required replacement of the rubber insert almost seasonally.

Heard and read great things about the monster stuff, but never had first hand experience.

I have had had zero pitting, slippage, or problems with my 3 racks from DIY Wake...........4 seasons old. You can get replacement rubber inserts for all their products and the chrome stays nice and shiny. Great product. Sure there are fancier racks that flow with some of the newer boats better, but for the cash these have been bomb proof. I have a total of 4 racks on my boat. 3 from DIY wake and one from Bullet lines. All are quality. As far as an aftermarket swing rack the rotating from Bullet is hard to beat IMO. Great simple design that works well. Again there are some better looking racks with a little better features, but as far as a standard quality rack any of the above mentioned will get my vote.

Last edited by xstarrider; 05-17-2010 at 5:14 PM.
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-17-2010, 10:30 PM Reply   
I'm going to second Nick, Nice Rack has been the best rack I've come across. On my third season with them and no problems at all. There not chromed there polished billet and they still look like there brand new. I wish the fake chrome on my boat held up like these racks have. My previous racks where titans and while they worked they didn't take abuse and sure weren't pretty like the Nice Racks
Old     (RJJR)      Join Date: May 2010       05-18-2010, 9:16 AM Reply   
Nick and Robert, have either of you had problems with the rubber inserts wearing out with the Nick Racks and if they do, how hard is it to replace the inserts. Also, do either of you store your boat outside, and do these rakcs have a quick disconnect??
Old     (ndavis03)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-18-2010, 9:46 AM Reply   
RJ-I have not had any problems with my rubber inserts so far. However, Horacio of Nice-Rack is pretty good about answering any questions in a timely fashion. I store my boat in a garage. My racks don't have a quick disconnect.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-18-2010, 10:21 AM Reply   
RJ , if you store your boat outside, ( depnding on the environemtn) it can really trash any rack....quickly. If you store outside, it's best to find an anodized aluminum rack IMO. Any rack is gonna take constant work to stay new looking if your storing outside.
Old     (ndavis03)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-18-2010, 10:42 AM Reply   
I also use covers from speakersox.com. They have worked well to protect my racks, speakers, and mirror thus far. Also, they are pretty inexpensive.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-18-2010, 10:55 AM Reply   
Fly High makes a different rack that weathers really well. My boat sits on the water exposed for two months a year and they still look new.
http://fatsac.com/flyhigh/ACCESSORIES.bifh
No bungie cords.
Old     (RJJR)      Join Date: May 2010       05-18-2010, 2:18 PM Reply   
How are you guys, those who have to store their boats outside, keeping the rubber inserts from dry rotting and having black residue all over your board, hands, boat, etc. Also, if you are replacing the rubber every year, how do you go about doing it?
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-18-2010, 2:27 PM Reply   
I don't store my boat outside but I do travel long distances frequently and the bugs used to destroy my racks. I have bought speakersox covers for my tower speakers and made my own board rack covers out of duck material from a fabric store. It was cheap and easy to do. Simple protection. The rubber really gets trashed from the sun rain and moisture. They were pretty simple to make.
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-18-2010, 2:40 PM Reply   
My boat is stored outside under a tarp and I've had no problems with the rubber on my racks. I spoke with Horacio today about rubber inserts failing and replacing them on his Racks. He said while very rare he has had that happen but as with everything he makes he warranttys it at no charge. If you ever have a problem with your rack even if its the rubber coming loose send him the rack and he'll send you a brand new one at no charge. I love the fact his racks are polished billet and not chromed. I've polished them once in the 3 years I've had them and they still look like the day i bought them!
Old     (RJJR)      Join Date: May 2010       05-24-2010, 4:13 PM Reply   
Can the nice racks be mounted on a horizontal bar or can they only be mounted on a vertical bar?
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-24-2010, 6:00 PM Reply   
^^^ They can be mounted on both, at least the Slingshot can. Those are what I just picked up and they are the best designed rack I looked at and I looked at most all of them. The "bell" end fingers are especialy important if you dont like boards hitting together while driving in chop. Heracio told me his standard warranty was five years but that he would cover the inserts for as long as I own them! The inserts are much beefier than most others too. I store outside and just purchased the Speakersox covers for everything on my tower.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-24-2010, 8:23 PM Reply   
Niceracks and all diy racks mark boards. Even when new. I wish there was a easy way to fix this problem?
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-24-2010, 8:40 PM Reply   
Havnt seen any marks on any boards that have been in my new racks, none. But ive only used them a handfull of times so far and the inserts are still fresh.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-24-2010, 9:25 PM Reply   
They are both surf racks. Both have left nasty black marks on my surf boards.