Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (yeaitsmemarc)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-20-2004, 12:30 PM Reply   
On another thread someone was talking about their Trickz double tip board and said, "My favorite feature is the leash...that way I don't have to swim after it all the time."

Seems like a good idea, and something that wouldnt be to hard to modify on your existing board. Anyone ever try this?
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-20-2004, 3:10 PM Reply   
Try the Trick Boardz.

There are leash kits available at surf shops that mount to any board.
Old    sdorovi            04-25-2004, 8:31 PM Reply   
Wow a leash on a wakesurf board. I thought we were getting lazy with wakesurfing as a whole. Now were putting leashes on these boards, wow I hate working, but I think your focus is going the wrong way.
Old     (djmann270)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-27-2004, 6:48 PM Reply   
The leash is so the board doesnt go into the boat or far away from you. It is mainly a liability issue.
Old    sdorovi            04-28-2004, 8:12 PM Reply   
As far as I remember when I ride it's just like riding a wave in the ocean, you always kick the board as far away from you as possible. In wakesurfing I think the leash will help the board follow you rather than get it away. As well as that is one more thing that has a chance to get caught in the prop and cause a bigger liability. Take my advice kick it away and learn to swim, it will keep you safer.
Old     (inland_surfer)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-01-2004, 6:15 PM Reply   
Reg. Leashes, we do not recommended them, because they might get caught in the prop wash and suck you in while the boat is going around you. Just a thought.
Old    jaq            09-28-2004, 3:56 PM Reply   
A few times when I was riding the nose of my board actually went over the platform because I got too much speed coming down the wake. No leash would have helped if I fell. I think it is also dangerous, you kinda want to kick the board away... less chance of it hitting you. I have seen a landlock leave a gash in someone's head.
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-18-2004, 9:22 PM Reply   
My son has used a 6 ft leash on his broadcast for the last year. No problems and dont have to chase the board when it gets caught on the roller. That is at least twice a week all summer long.

(Message edited by dadthedriver on October 18, 2004)
Old    moh2o            10-19-2004, 7:32 AM Reply   
How long does it actually take to swim to your board? I've never had the boat get back to me before I got to the board. SOMEONE WILL GET SEVERLY HURT OR KILLED BY USING A LEASH IN THE FUTURE. I try not to wear one surfing either unless conditions absolutely warrant it. (and even then it's only because I don't feel like swimming in 6-8ft swells for several hundred yards while fighting strong currents)

(Message edited by moh2o on October 19, 2004)
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-09-2005, 10:15 AM Reply   
I am somewhat confused as to how a leash is going to get caught in the prop?

We leash up and it just never occurred to me that it was ever going to get close to the prop....

As far as people getting hurt and/or killed, much more concerned with sliders(wakeboarding/skating) and/or carbon monoxide(surfing) than a leash hurting someone.

Did have someone take a good konk to the head from the board bouncing back from the leash.

Anyway....back to the leash and prop?

E.J.
Old     (partydock17)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-09-2005, 9:41 PM Reply   
The reason we use the leash so if we are trying a ne trick, and lose the board, it wont run up and hit the back of the boat!
Old    bschroeder            04-11-2005, 1:51 PM Reply   
how are you going to learn shoves with a leash strapped to your ancle??? sounds like a pretty bad idea if you ask me.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-11-2005, 4:52 PM Reply   
Learn what???? Fact is, I don't plan on doing anything behind the boat that I don't see people do in the surf leashed up. Note, I won't do much of that either....but just as a point of reference.

Also, I am not for or against leashes.... Just has always used one and was surprised that there may be concern about it getting caught in the prop.

E.J.