Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 13, 2007

Old     (chevboy171)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-26-2007, 1:43 AM Reply   
First off, i know this topic comes up fairly often but i don't think there are any recent threads.

Who has actually ridden behind a diesel wakeboard boat?
Has Session actually started selling their 22 footer with the diesel motor? What's it like?
Does anyone have actual comparative fuel consumption numbers for gas vs diesel wakeboard boats?

A little birdy told me that EPIC will have a new type of powerplant out around the end of the summer that will supposedly be much better than a diesel but i don't know any details. I was considering repowering a boat with some of the marinized diesels that are on the market until i found out the price (see link below). Anyway, I am very curious about what people know about the future of wakeboard boat power plants so any helpful information and discussion would be much appreciated.

http://www.4yourboat.com/Diesel_Engines/body_diesel_engines.htm
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-26-2007, 7:51 AM Reply   
Wow! $22K for the 250HP engine.

I think I would buy a few of these first:
http://www.perfprotech.com/store2/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=1815

(Message edited by evil0ne on February 26, 2007)
Old     (lolwake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-28-2007, 2:44 PM Reply   
MasterCraft now has the option of a DIESEL in there boats VW powerplant. There was a 280 at the Miami Boat show w/ twins in it

Steve
Old     (chevboy171)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-28-2007, 8:51 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info, I had no idea Mastercraft was integrating diesel powerplants. After a few minutes of searching I found this on the new Mastercraft/VW diesel option if anyone is interested: http://www.mastercraftboats.com/index.php?znfModule=intl&znfAction=PressOne&id=32
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-01-2007, 6:31 AM Reply   
I give Mastercraft credit. They seem willing to step out and try new things in their product line.

A diesel makes sense in a wakeboard boat.
Old     (themilelowclub)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-01-2007, 9:32 PM Reply   
We've got our 2001 torn down and a 7.3 Powerstroke mocked in place.
How's that for ballast!
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-02-2007, 7:26 AM Reply   
Drop a Cummins into the boat. There are known to be heavy. You could also run the stacks up the tower straight into the air.

Fuel system, filter systems, mounts and transmission for increased torque, exhausts, wiring and getting it all to fit....this is a big project. Would love to hear about the finished product. Good luck.
Old     (themilelowclub)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-02-2007, 9:31 AM Reply   
We've got the fuel system done. Pretty much everything is done, just fitment and adjustments. We started with a complete, running truck. We lack mounting the intercooler and doing some plumbing. Our major hurdles are behind us...but then, there's the tranny.
The tranny has been our only hang-up.
The adapters we have had made haven't left room for a transmission to fit without bulking-up the floor, which isn't an option. Plus, I'm not to sure if the little Borg-Warner will hold up to the torque.
We only had to raise the doghouse an inch and it's not noticeable.
I want it to look like it was born, and belongs there.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-02-2007, 10:25 AM Reply   
I have received good diesel advice at boatdiesel.com. It may be a good resource for that tranny.

Post some pictures of the ongoing progress.
Old     (themilelowclub)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-03-2007, 4:18 PM Reply   
Tim, thanks for the linky, found one there... zf-marine.com
After speaking with them I ordered a ZF 360.
No adapters and will 'withstand the power.' We'll see.
I was also advised to dump the intercooler, not sure about this one? I worry about rising EGT's. There's really no room for it. Heat is the enemy of a diesel engine. I'm a hardcore gasser, this is my first venture with a diesel. Maybe a diesel guy will chime in.
Old     (themilelowclub)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-03-2007, 4:21 PM Reply   
Sorry for the double post...

How the hell do I put pictures on here?
Furthermore, size them properly.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-03-2007, 5:24 PM Reply   
If you search you can find an air to water intercooler. It occupies much less space than the air/air units and you can run it's own pump. If you can, run the cooler. It's much more stable in operation. You could even put it on a temp switch or just a boost switch. The Diesel guys call them aftercoolers because they're after the turbos. The intercooler is the one they put between two stage turbos.
Old     (chevboy171)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-05-2007, 11:51 AM Reply   
Wow, I'm excited to hear how this PSD turns out. Keep us posted!
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       03-06-2007, 9:39 AM Reply   
Resize the pictures in paint.
Select all.
Click on Image then Stretch/Skew
From there change the size of the image by percentage.

That is the best way I know how. It does not work the best but it works.

I cant wait to see the pics. Keep us posted.