Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2009

Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-03-2009, 10:59 AM Reply   
so i thought i would just let you guys know there is 5 mph bouys going out on vics by the construction site on the levee. they are like 200 feet on each side of the job. i was just letting you know they are only going to be there for a few months. i work in the office there and i thought they were lame to put in but its the owners who want them in. the big steel wall
(cofferdam) is packed with this environmentally friendly material and it has to be done quite frequantly because if its not done our site starts to take on more water than we need. its not good since we are 20 feet below the water table. so the reson for the bouys is to stop the wakes obviously from pounding the side of the structure.
thanks for listening, i know it sucks but there was nothing i could do about it. really

michael
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-03-2009, 11:48 AM Reply   
I'm curious if they're doing this with Coast Guard approval? It's my understanding without them signing off on it the 5 zone is unenforceable.

Of course all you would need to do is tie a boat up there full time and the idle zone rule within 200 ft of the tied up boat would come into play.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-03-2009, 12:30 PM Reply   
Rich,we have coast guard aproval... lame i know. i have grown up around here and it is my local spot. they will be enforcing it on the 4th for sure. what our company is doing is building a new pump staion so we can pump the water to the los vaqeros resovor.. its for our drinking water not LA's

ooh i almost forgot we anchored them with 200 lb concrete anchor blocks... i would say 2' X 2' X 2' or so slab.. probably dont want to get to close just because the water around there does tend to get shollow.

sorry again guys but there was nothing i could do. just remeber they are temporary, we will pull them as soon as we can.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-03-2009, 2:09 PM Reply   
Yeah....wtf?? Lol, I'm on vics with about 30 other boats. Every single boat has ignored those bouys including us. I'll be surprised if they are still there come sunday.

WEAK!!!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-03-2009, 2:20 PM Reply   
Yeah....wtf?? Lol, I'm on vics with about 30 other boats. Every single boat has ignored those bouys including us. I'll be surprised if they are still there come sunday.

WEAK!!!
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-03-2009, 2:53 PM Reply   
could you do me a huge favor, and make them about 6 inches shorter than this, thats all the hops i got........ lol,

Upload
this is so weak. tell all the guys working that they will get no more boob flash's from a certain boat as long as those are up.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-03-2009, 3:40 PM Reply   
its not my fault.. i dont work for contra costa county i work for a general thats building the structure. they pay the money and we do the work. those bouys are supposed to go right in the center but the crain is not movable right now. i was just letting you guys know. i wouldnt stop for them normally.lol

bryan, dont penalize the workers they have nothing to do with the bouys either. they will get fired if they dont do what they are told.im just saying now there are cameras out there and if the structure goes down ( not in a million years) the person that passed the 5 mph will be liable...

j-rod, i told them those bouys are going to go missing but they said they will just get ne ones. it was a deturent that didnt work.. those bouys are also tied don hard with a big ass cable and a 200 lb block on the end.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-03-2009, 3:40 PM Reply   
its not my fault.. i dont work for contra costa county i work for a general thats building the structure. they pay the money and we do the work. those bouys are supposed to go right in the center but the crane is not movable right now. i was just letting you guys know. i wouldnt stop for them normally.lol

bryan, dont penalize the workers they have nothing to do with the bouys either. they will get fired if they dont do what they are told.im just saying now there are cameras out there and if the structure goes down ( not in a million years) the person that passed the 5 mph will be liable...

j-rod, i told them those bouys are going to go missing but they said they will just get ne ones. it was a deturent that didnt work.. those bouys are also tied don hard with a big ass cable and a 200 lb block on the end.

(Message edited by kickflip_mj on July 03, 2009)
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-03-2009, 3:56 PM Reply   
All those years we knew it was Upload wakeboarders destroying our buoys and now I have proof!!Upload

Sounds like the coast guard is going to have to enforce the new ones as well!Upload
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-03-2009, 4:50 PM Reply   
hey michael, thanks for the heads up brotha. seriously!!! for us that have been riding vics for years its like playing in your backyard and i know would have blown them off without you telling me, so thanks. as long as they wont be there long its all good but if they linger around i think were going to have to start yet another endless delta battle.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-03-2009, 10:40 PM Reply   
Just rediculous that they would be able to disrupt the most popular watersports slough on the delta.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-03-2009, 11:19 PM Reply   
Did someone say target practice for cameras on vics?
Old     (denystaucd)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-03-2009, 11:59 PM Reply   
Just curious why a pump station that goes to an island for CC. Seem like a silly idea to pump it through the island when they could build/add-on pumps to the one on old river???

Cheers,
DC
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-04-2009, 12:17 AM Reply   
Yea I don't think that the designers thought it all through on this deal. I don't think they could have picked a worse location to build this station.
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-04-2009, 11:10 AM Reply   
Since I can't ride today, let's see a pic of someone olliing one of these bouys......with no CF numbers in the pic. lol
Old     (wakemandan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-06-2009, 3:35 AM Reply   
was out there friday, blew right past them. i even try to shoot water as high up the wall as i can. You dont have to worry about me anymore, sitting in the hospital right now.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-06-2009, 9:18 AM Reply   
Dan sorry to hear that.

Dennis, it was easier to build a new pump station on vics because it was straight across from the old river pump station. i understand that is sucks that the station is on vics but i can tell you it will not disrupt our riding spot. the main reason it was built was the the existing pump station on old river did not have the capacity to pump enough water up to the resivor. because of environmental issues contra costa can only pump a few months out of the year thus making us need a bigger pump station.

As far as the add on to the old pump station it would requre a huge retrofit that could not be done. what we call the wet well is basically a huge swimming pool within the concrete wall which you see at the old pump station (150ft W X 70 Ft Deep). this allows water to settle inside the structure and get pumped out, this keeps the water level in the cannal at a constant instead of a huge current flowing twords the structure itself. now the problem with the old river station is the wet well is not large enough for capacity needed for contra costa.
Old     (kitewake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-06-2009, 5:43 PM Reply   
-One additional reason they (CCWD and Carollo Engineers) chose that location had to with water quality. Believe it or not, the water quality on Vics was some of the very best in the delta.

-Just so you understand, you are talking about (5) 3000 HP pumps that will move 25,000 Gallons per minute, each, at 160 psig. Each pump+motor will weigh about 30 tons. They are larger than the existing pumps at Old River.

-There was no way to add pumps at Old River PS due to land issues, and hydraulic intake issues. There is a lot involved in a large intake structure. You can not just stick (5) 3000 HP pumps in a ditch. Intake design standards must be followed...hydraulic model studies must be done, etc.

-Relative to the amount of pipeline in the CCWD water system, the pipeline run from Vics to Old River PS is tiny. From that perspective, Vics was an ideal location. Most people really have no idea how much is involved in our infrastructure system...so something like this seems like a major inconvenience, when it really is not, in the big picture.

-This project was in design for 4+ years before it bid. I am pretty sure they exhausted all options before they settled on this one. Impact on recreational water activities was a consideration.

-Once this station is done, there will be no impact. This sounds like a construction issue. This station will be providing drinking water for CC County for 30,40,50 years or more...so lets all keep things in perspective.

-Finally...this is at the end of Vics anyway. If you make the cross turn at the channel marker....you still have 2/3 of Vics to work with. Technically...you are supposed to slow to 5 at the end of Vics by the condemned houses anyway....

(Message edited by kitewake on July 06, 2009)
Old     (kitewake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-06-2009, 5:54 PM Reply   
If you are interested in learning a little more, here is the project website:

http://www.ccwater-alternativeintake.com

This is the price we pay for having safe drinking water. Go to some 3rd world country...and if you have the $...you can wakeboard wherever you want...but the water out of the faucet might kill you!
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-06-2009, 6:41 PM Reply   
Hi Jack. When did all the windows get busted out of those houses at the end of vics? End hi Jack
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-06-2009, 6:46 PM Reply   
There were a few broken windows last summer, but in recent months, the vandals have stepped their game up.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-06-2009, 9:25 PM Reply   
Brant, so do you work for carollo?

you definitly did a better job of explaining the pump station than i did, i was just trying to get people to hope fully slow down for a bit.
Old     (denystaucd)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-06-2009, 11:15 PM Reply   
Micheal and Brant,
I appreciate hearing/reading detailed responses and understand water in CA is pieced together by very complicated systems. I work closely with the CEC on hydroelectric projects in the American river and do environmental modeling for small (up to 20 cfs) diversions.

So I have a few more questions for you guys;
1) Is the new pumping plant going to be underground to the old river ps or is it going to be discharged directly across from into old river CCW pumps. Little unclear still after looking over the websites how the water is getting across old river.
2) My experience suggests that the small vic channel and end of summer pumping with the 5 3000horse pumps will have considerable flow into it, thus creating dangerous conditions for swimmers (downed boarders near the facility)?
3) side question do you think this project will open the way for the state to push CCW around to get los vaqueros expanded?

Thank you guys for your time.
Cheers,
DC

P.S. I was out all day sat on the vics and I think most people only slowed because I was idling past the 5mph area...lol
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-07-2009, 7:36 AM Reply   
Dennis,

1) the pipeline is being built by ranger pipeline and we are tying in the existing line. i havnt really looked to hard into exactly how ranger is connecting into the existing line but from what i know i think they are tunneling under old river.

2) with the design of the new pump station there will not be a considerable amount of current on vics. what i described earlier in one of my posts is the area called the wet well, it allows water to settle in this huge room.. 150 ft X 70 ft. then the water gets pumped out into the line. maybe brant can chime in on this one since i am no engineer.

3) i dont think the state will push to get the resivor expanded, just on the fact that the new pump station will pump enough water to sustain contra costa county. were not suppling LA, they have their own means of stealing water from the delta. i would make a guess and say 50 years from now or when we need to store more water.
Old     (kellen)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-07-2009, 9:12 AM Reply   
Can you please buld me a wallride on ur breaks that would be much appriciated. Dope. Thanks and ill obey the mph bouys..
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-07-2009, 1:03 PM Reply   
i would if i could.

i just found out the wall has to be out by november, which means thats when the bouys will go.
Old     (denystaucd)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-07-2009, 5:39 PM Reply   
Hi Micheal,
Thanks for the update...I'm always concerned with new people boarding and panicking (obliviously not warranted) when they crash near the old river CCW pumps, about getting sucked in.

But sounds like the engineers have actually thought ahead on this one, after looking over the website materials. I'll have get in touch with the guys at CCW and get a tour once it's finished. Do you know if there any wet well room of similar size in operation currently in the Delta or is this the first?
Cheers...
Old     (wakemandan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-07-2009, 9:59 PM Reply   
ever try driving over the bubbles at the old river one. kinda cool.
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-07-2009, 10:14 PM Reply   
That is trippy dan
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-07-2009, 10:45 PM Reply   
as you know the delta is huge and honestly i have no idea if there is a system of this size yet. dennis i would give you a tour but im only the office bit#$ so i have no say.lol sorry man
Old     (kitewake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-08-2009, 11:26 AM Reply   
Mike,

I am with Fairbanks Morse....so I will be out on site when pumps are getting installed and started up.

dennis,

The flows are not that high for those pumps. It is the pressure that results in the high HPs. Also, the actual pumps are way way back from the actual river/channel. There is a very long intake structure. Also...the velocities in the intake structure are very very low. ZERO Danger of getting pulled in.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-08-2009, 4:18 PM Reply   
oh nice fairbanks morse. so you do know alot. i was wondering how you knew so much about the pump station, im just the intern so im still learing alot. mostly filing, RFI's and Submittals.