Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 19, 2006

Old    bocephus            05-11-2006, 7:57 AM Reply   
Since I blew all my money on a new boat my buddy thought he would make wakeboard racks for me. These will boat directly to my new Flight Control Tower:

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Anyone have any suggestions on what to use to pad the inside of the forks? We could use a key-way cutter and insert the rubber cord like all the other racks out there. We thought about having just the inside of the forks Rhino Lined. Does anyone else have any ideas on how to pad the boards inside the forks?

Thanks,
Bocephus
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-11-2006, 8:30 AM Reply   
Looks good. How thick did you make them? If they're not too thick, maybe something like this would work: http://www.valuengineering.com/PDFs/uhmw.pdf
Old     (boomerang)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-11-2006, 8:31 AM Reply   
You might could try that rubber stuff you dip tools into. Although I have never used it.
Old    bocephus            05-11-2006, 9:58 AM Reply   
We want to keep most of the aluminium exposed so that it looks good when polished. Tool dip would cover most of the fork up. We made them pretty thick though and may have to go that route.
Old    bocephus            05-11-2006, 12:12 PM Reply   
What, no other suggestions? Or don't you all like my racks?
Old     (elleduke)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-11-2006, 12:49 PM Reply   
Is that an optical illusion that I am seeing on the left leg in pic #1, or is it all wavy? Did you not bolt it down tight enough? Looks good other than that. After you polish them and mount them on the tower post some more pics.
Old    bocephus            05-11-2006, 12:58 PM Reply   
Wow, that is crazy, the left leg looks very crooked. I am pretty sure it's just an optical illusion or something, it's dead nut straight. On this revision we chose to bolt it down instead of using clamps.
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-11-2006, 1:53 PM Reply   
tape off the parts you dont want covered and dip them. half dry, take the tape off and just let the others parts dry. I think it would work.
Old     (trakkerguy)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-11-2006, 2:01 PM Reply   
Very nice.

I don't like the "dip" idea much. Have experimented with it several times, and never was that happy with it. It is not all that durable, and is difficult to get a nice looking , even surface.

(Message edited by trakkerguy on May 11, 2006)
Old    bocephus            05-11-2006, 2:04 PM Reply   
Do you all think Rhino Lining would work good? They can mask off the areas that we don't want covered.
Old    bocephus            05-11-2006, 2:06 PM Reply   
Another picture to prove it's straight!
Upload

I think we might sandwich the aluminium with carbon fiber or something to cover up the holes.
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-11-2006, 2:10 PM Reply   
sick man! i like the holes, gives it a more industrial look.it would be cheap to just get some black foam or rubber with adheasive on one size
Old     (trakkerguy)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-11-2006, 2:33 PM Reply   
You could get some adhesive back foam, or trim molding like used on car doors to stick. Lots of products on http://mcmaster.com
page 3256. If you use some of their weatherstrip adhesive in addition to the self stick on the trim molding, it is pretty rugged, but it's not the "flush" look you want, I take it.

Can your friend maching a nice profile on a strip of black delrin, and countersink some screws or pop rivet to the inside edges???
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-11-2006, 2:38 PM Reply   
I envy people with access to CNC machines.