Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-07-2008, 6:40 PM Reply   
I just had my 351 rebuilt for my 85 Supra Sunsport. I've heard its good to replace some of the other parts while you're at it. I also need to replace my exhaust manifolds. I was thinking I would just get them from my local marine shop, but they were beyond ridiculous. I believe in buying local, but just my manifolds were $260 ea from my local shop, $139 ea at glmmarine.com. Sorry, way to big of difference. So I was wondering where might be a good online source for exhaust manifold, water pump, fuel pump. anything else you'd recommend changing on the new engine?
Old     (pwningjr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-07-2008, 6:43 PM Reply   
www.skidim.com is always a really good site, although I don't know if they have the exact parts you're looking for
Old     (dhcomp)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-07-2008, 6:43 PM Reply   
I would change waterpump, fuel pump, raw water pump/housing (impeller) if the housing is warn, maybe starter. Besides that, i wouldn't replace teh exhaust manifolds unless they are messed up. Worst thing that happens is they crack eventually, and you replace them then.
Old     (dhcomp)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-07-2008, 6:44 PM Reply   
i second ski dim
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-07-2008, 7:08 PM Reply   
yeah, the manifolds are cracked. small crack drips into the bilge.

Also, is fuel pump and water pump marine specific?
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-08-2008, 9:01 AM Reply   
Your dealer would probably tell you that they are marine specific, then charge you over $300 each. Or you can go to autozone, buy one and hold it right next to the other to compare. Then judge for yourself. I did this and almost all the parts look identical. Plus they cost about $30 vs $330.
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-08-2008, 11:32 AM Reply   
Yes, fuel and water pump are two items you should buy marine counterparts for. The starter is also one that needs to be built for marine use.

Marine mechanical fuel pumps have a safety feature that allow fuel to flow to the carb in the instance that the pump's internal gasket fails. This prevents fuel from leaking into the bilge. Auto pumps do NOT have this feature however they will fit and do work fine. If you smell fumes, you should check the pump though. The failure is a rare one, but it carries a high penalty.

Marine water pumps have stainless steel internals allowing them to last about 4 times as long. Unless you are running a closed cooling system, you should buy one specifically for longevity purposes. They are about the same price as a standard water pump and can be had on ebay for $85 or so.

The starter has a safety screen and should be "ignition protected". Ignition protection doesn't have anything to do with the ignition to run the boat, but rather having the ability to ignite fumes in the bilge.

You can imagine the catastrophic failure that would occur if you had a leaking fuel pump and turned the boat over with the auto starter.

Many other items, like filters (don't use the glass ones) both fuel and oil, hoses, lines, ignition components that are high on the engine (away for gas fumes), intakes, engine components not circulating raw water, etc can be pulled from auto parts. Ignition components are usually too high to ignite fumes, and are not marine specific in some cases even though made for marine use (think spark plug wires, distributors, coils, etc). Filters are built similar. I tend to use high flow ones. Wire should be tinned through and through for longevity, but it isn't a requirement if you are comfortable in replacing some every few years if they corrode.

(Message edited by olSkoolTige on April 08, 2008)
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-08-2008, 12:11 PM Reply   
since it was "rebuilt" i would assume you're ok on the block (BTW - what does "rebuilt" mean in this case). Generally, cracked manifolds could point to other engine damage (maybe a cracked block) it wasnt' properly winterized.

don't take it to a shop. skidim.com
Old     (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-08-2008, 12:26 PM Reply   
3rd skidim they are the best
Old     (highdyner)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-08-2008, 12:27 PM Reply   
I just ordered manifolds for my 1994 351 (PCM) from www.ebasicpower.com They were $139 each, free shipping. After 14 years and lots of salt water use - getting the old ones off has been no fun. I think I'll start a thread and see if anyone has other nightmare manifold removal stories....
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-08-2008, 12:41 PM Reply   
i'll throw drill em out and retap out there. OTT, not sure what else you could do.
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-08-2008, 1:16 PM Reply   
partman.com is another place that carries just about everything.
Old     (whitlecj)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-08-2008, 1:20 PM Reply   
I 4th skidim. Great guys and great service.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-09-2008, 9:47 PM Reply   
one more question, when ordering water pump, fuel pump etc...do I just need to order for a F351? or do I need more specific part numbers? thx
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-10-2008, 8:22 AM Reply   
Water pump is just for a 351. Double check the fuel pump, but it should be a generic 351 too.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-10-2008, 11:00 PM Reply   
can you hook up any gauges to any boat? I found a decent set that I like that are "Honda", but my engine is Ford
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-11-2008, 6:36 AM Reply   
Depends on the gauge. Which types?
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-11-2008, 10:35 AM Reply   
mph, tach, fuel, oil, temp, hours