Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 06, 2008

Old     (smsbrett)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-29-2008, 4:58 PM Reply   
So I'm really hoping to be able to pull the trigger on a boat next spring. I have narrowed things down to a couple of models from MC or Malibu. I have test driven both and have things I love and a few things I wish were a bit different about each. But I really feel that when I add everything up, there is no slam-dunk winner by any means.
Therefore, I'm trying to find little things to help distinguish... hence this post. Both manufacturers advertise iPod connections, but I couldn't get a straight answer about exactly what that means. I know that nearly any boat can have an MP3 input jack, but I think they are talking about more.
So, what functionality do these connections offer and is there a difference between the boats? I don't want to have to have the iPod on someone's lap to choose songs. I'm sure you can't scroll through song lists and playlists, but once I have a song chosen, can I pause or skip to next song from the stereo controls with the iPod safely tucked away in the glovebox? What else can they do?

Also, any other little things to help me decide between these awesome options?
Thanks
Old     (sound_illusions)      Join Date: May 2005       09-29-2008, 5:59 PM Reply   
On both of these models of boats you can use the ipod in either form. You can either hook it up with a direct connect to the stereo so that you use the stereo to control all ipod functions. I have found though that if you arent keeping up on your navigation speed using the select buttons you will often forget how to use them. I have seen many customers come back who just want to be able to hold the ipod in their hand and use it. One other thing to consider is that with the Clarion CDM4 (if equipped, usually in 07) you will have to put your songs that you want in folder labeled Clarion 1, clarion 2, clarion 3, ect. But with the Clarion CMD5 you will have full control of the ipod through the ipod with what you already have labeled in songs and playlists. Either direction you go I would setup a playlist for your songs you would like to hear, because it is alot easier to navigate to the playlist and only have to seek forward or back rather than having to seek for every song you want. Im not sure what the complete function of the new optional Maliview consists of but hopefully it will integrate the stereo also. It would make it alot easier rather than the little screen you get with the JBL system.
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       09-29-2008, 8:30 PM Reply   
Haven't used the 08s, but in the 07 Malibu with a simple adapter you can control all your iPod controls from the factory Sony radio.

my advice if you want to see how it works on your specific models, bring your iPod to the boat shows. they are usually in Jan or Feb. try before you buy!
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-30-2008, 5:32 AM Reply   
08 MC'S have pretty good ipod hookups. Like you said you cant scroll through playlists or look at songs but you can set it to a play list then scroll through that by the drivers controls. simple stuff but better thasn going to the glove box everytime a song needs to be changed, as long as you've got a good playlist you should be good to go
Old     (freshtracks)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-30-2008, 11:32 AM Reply   
i have a malibu that i ordered from the factory without their stereo. do yourself a favor, go buy a new Alpine deck with full IPOD controls. easy to use on the water, i plug in the ipod, tuck it away and never touch it until we get off the lake. they now have killer marine remotes too.
Old     (sound_illusions)      Join Date: May 2005       09-30-2008, 11:42 AM Reply   
Make sure if you are going to go the Alpine Route you must buy the Marine Alpine headunits to work with the remotes
Old     (spolk69)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-30-2008, 12:11 PM Reply   
I hear they still are not out to buy
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       09-30-2008, 1:30 PM Reply   
Sony makes very nice units and remotes that will control your iPod too. Alpine is pretty good stuff though...
Old     (tomfish)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-30-2008, 4:28 PM Reply   
personally I think it is easier to have my ipod touch in my lap or on the shelf and change songs etc w/ that than to try to hook it up to the deck. not to mention my 07 malibu the deck is under the armrest anyway. or with the blue tooth connection you can do it wireless.
Old     (chikara22)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-30-2008, 7:40 PM Reply   
Why not buy a boat without the brand of stereo that comes stock (i.e Sony with Malibu, Kenwood with Supra, Clarion with MC and CC) with the boat and install your own head unit based on iPod functionality that suits you? Seems like a lot of cash about to be dropped on a boat simply because of a stereo decision. IMO the Alpine head units have the best Ipod functions on their head units, at least on the car audio systems i have seen at dealers. I run a Kenwood system and with Kenwood's iPod adaptor and it will allow you to change songs and playlists through the head unit while charging it. Good to have the charging aspect on the boat because sometimes I am out long enough to go through the iPod battery. My iPod stays stowed away under the dash and has not gotten wet yet in two years of service. My $.02
Old     (colombiansurfer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-30-2008, 8:22 PM Reply   
I agree with Will. Get a boat without the stereo system, customize your own system. Call Tim over at Wet Sounds and let him hook you up. The money you spend on a factory system will be more than enough to get you better sounding system from after market.
Old     (freshtracks)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-01-2008, 12:28 PM Reply   
agree will, thats the route i took and like GANJA said, the prices the boat co.'s charge for mediocre products at best are a joke. for less you can get the top of the line deck, better amps, speakers, etc. btw, the alpine deck does charge the ipod while still giving you full control of your selection. i've had kenwood before (ok product), and several pioneers. while the pioneer had some very nice features (more fine tuning the sound), i have had three seize up on me. going two years on the alpine deck with no problems.