Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 03, 2009

Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-27-2009, 8:41 PM Reply   
Anybody ever re-wrap your handle?

As my backup handle I have an 07 accurate premier... love it, but anyone who uses these knows the nice handle padding/material separates easily.

I removed the old material and now am looking at what I can wrap it with. I can buy a small amount of neoprene, any thickness I want... any ideas?
Old     (lakemiltonwake08)      Join Date: Oct 2008       05-27-2009, 8:53 PM Reply   
Memory foam
Old     (wvboard)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-28-2009, 5:11 AM Reply   
Go to a sporting goods store and get the stuff used to re-wrap the handles on tennis rackets. Works great! But throw away the tape they give you and used a good double sided tape to hold it.
Old     (kamighazi)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-28-2009, 7:56 AM Reply   
Yeah i re-wrapped my proline Delta. I love the new wrap better than the original. I went through a couple itterations of trying to get it right. For me, I think i got it nailed.

I bought some of that double sided outdoor foam tape that you can get at the hardware store. I put two layers of that foam tape on the inside of the handle where your fingers wrap around.

On top of those two layers i use Athletic tape. You know the tape that they use to wrap your ankle, wrist, etc in football or whatever. You can get that at cvs or wherever. Anyway i wrape about two rolls of that around the handle.

Once wrapped I let it sit in the sun for a few days to let that sports tape bake a bit. If you dont the adhesive gets a bit "gooie" all over your hands and boat. But if you bake it in the sun its perfect.

I'm telling you though that wrap plays! I havent found a wrap that grips as well and has just the right amt of padding (for me at least).

I tired tennis wrap, and really didnt like it. when it got wet it would slip out of my hands. But, thats just opinion. And short of 5200 caulk it would not stay put for me.

This last re-wrap has lasted me 1.5 seasons so far, and i probably have another full season left in it.

just my .02

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100153200&N=10000003+5 02487+90401+4736

http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=306497&navAction=jump&navCount=0 &skuid=sku2501865&id=prod2502428
Old     (wakemania)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-28-2009, 9:34 AM Reply   
Ben that sounds like a great idea. So you don't "wrap" the foam tape around the handle? So it is not padded so to speak where your palms are. Do you think it would it be too thick to "wrap" two layers of the foam tape then two layers of the athletic tape over that? I'm going to have to try this on my old Militia handle. The wraps that came with the older ones don't last long at all.
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-28-2009, 10:31 AM Reply   
Gonna have to try this. I have a nice carbon handle that the rubber has come off. Handle still rocks, just can't hold on to it. :-)
Old     (kamighazi)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-28-2009, 10:46 AM Reply   
wakemania, yeah i tried wrapping both and didnt really like it. It got pretty thick, but really thats just personal preference. Now that you got me thinking, i do remember putting strips on the palms side. b/c i was going for a more oval then round shape. And really, with the double sided foam you can make any shape you like, its pretty cool stuff. and super adhesive.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-28-2009, 4:55 PM Reply   
ben, thanks for the ideas. i will have to try that this weekend.
Old     (svt600)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-28-2009, 7:56 PM Reply   
i got some padding stuff to put on the back of my boat and i just used that stuff for my handle.... here is a pic of the stuff i used

Upload
Old     (kamighazi)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-29-2009, 5:28 AM Reply   
CZimmerman, thats awesome. where did you get the padding, and how did you apply it?