Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 28, 2004

Old     (ryin)      Join Date: May 2002       06-30-2004, 9:27 PM Reply   
whats your average hight (in feet) do you go in the air when you perform most tricks?

(Message edited by ryin on June 30, 2004)
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-30-2004, 9:33 PM Reply   
5 or 6 ft...depending on trick. sometimes 7 or 8 if I use perfect technique. Double Ups anywhere from 8-12ft depending on how well my dad sets them up.
Old     (malibususpect)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-30-2004, 10:08 PM Reply   
my average W2W jump is about 5 feet but when im really trying to do something i can get 5-7 feet.
Old    gobiggrom54            06-30-2004, 10:15 PM Reply   
I think on average i get a little less than 5 feet but im not that sure
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-01-2004, 6:37 AM Reply   
around 5-7ft depending on the trick .i tend to lay off edge on relaxed tricks like most grabs and 180s so i dont go big but when i really throw down and edge for a big invert i go much bigger...the higheset ive ever been is 10ft off a dup ....i got old knees and ankles so i keep it down a lot to have more fun and less pain :-)
Old     (weygone)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-01-2004, 7:07 AM Reply   
Hey Bill do you wakeboard on lake granbury much?
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-01-2004, 7:21 AM Reply   
What are you guys measuring? Without knowing that, all the numbers you are throwing around are meaningless. Are you talking about the bottom of your board? If so, does bending your knees more give you more air? Are you talking about your center of mass, i.e. your waist? Or perhaps the change in the height of your center of mass? That would be the only really accurate measurement which would factor out knee bending, whether you are inverted or not, etc. Perhaps you are estimating the height that your board would be IF you straightened your legs.

I'm guessing that you're probably talking about the maximum distance between the water and any part of your body since that will give you the biggest number. I don't like that method though because I know a guy who sucks his knees to his chest on every jump, giving him 3 extra feet of air (for a total of maybe 5 feet) by that measurement, so even though his w2w's are as bad/fast/rushed/missile-like/un-floaty as you can get, he could say, "I get about 5 feet of air," when a person who gets 5 feet of air with his legs straight would be a MUCH better rider.

I'm think that most people will tend to exaggerate as well, even if they don't know it. The only way you can tell your own height is by looking at a picture. In my experience, people tend to reference a spot on the water that is too far forward when judging their height, giving them a bit of an over-estimation. So, in addition to wondering what you are measuring when you say, "I usually get 7-8 ft. of air (or whatever)," I'm wondering how you measure it.

BTW, I'm not calling anyone a liar. I'm just trying to clarify the discussion and make this information more useful to everyone.
Old     (ryin)      Join Date: May 2002       07-01-2004, 9:14 AM Reply   
i would say measure from the water to the bottom of your board when your legs are exteneded out
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-01-2004, 9:38 AM Reply   
i would say bottom most of you or the board... if your in an invert, doesnt count to measure from water to the board... hahaha....

But i have no idea how high i get... I clear the wake!
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-02-2004, 12:28 PM Reply   
dude that sucks his knees in is still getting 5 feet of air regardless........ when measureing something like this, no matter what, it's the height of a pretend 'fixed' object that your body and your board and everything is clearing. Theres no real way to measue this without putting something out there to jump but with bad form or good form, its all a matter of did you clear the height?!!!!
Old    shiftywakeskate            07-02-2004, 1:07 PM Reply   
how much height do you think some of the pros, such as Parks, are getting when going w2w or on the dubs.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-02-2004, 1:59 PM Reply   
It kinda depends on the trick. I do w2w Methods at like 5-6 feet. But then I take my Indy grab into the flats and go a little higher and definately travel farther. Toeside I probably consistently get 4-6 feet of air. Double ups are another story altogether. I can go pretty high, my profile pic is a pretty mellow roll. I think I've done an Indy of the D-up that was easily 15 feet.
Indy to the flats
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       07-02-2004, 2:13 PM Reply   
At the Pro Hydrofoil tour they were jumping over a "step-up" similar to Motocross. One rider cleared 13ft+...
Old     (landon)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-02-2004, 10:03 PM Reply   
Check out the video, They're out in the flats without a wake. http://www.prohydrofoiltour.com/ProTourStops/videos/TSRStepUp2004Jun6.wmv
Old     (ryin)      Join Date: May 2002       07-03-2004, 2:54 AM Reply   
damn thats a lot of air, some of those crashes dont look healthy tho.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-03-2004, 7:46 PM Reply   
ok, hes got a hydrofoil and a tower. With those combinations you can get a lot of air even without a wake. Im waiting for someone to make a wakeboard with a hydrofoil...that would be huge air because you have your knees for pop. imagine a triple up.
Old     (wake_boarder49)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-03-2004, 8:20 PM Reply   
that would be so crazy a wakeboard with a hydro foil and a triple up....
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-03-2004, 8:38 PM Reply   
Yea man. It would be insane. You can create so much more pop with your legs. That is why kneeboarding isnt as big as wakeboarding in the height department.
Old     (flashalexb)      Join Date: May 2004       07-03-2004, 9:02 PM Reply   
On the billabong surf oddosey movie they have surfboard hydrofoils.
Old    airjunky123            07-06-2004, 7:44 AM Reply   
It's been done already. Foilboarding has been around for a few years, and I believe Bill Kinnison was the first to land an invert riding one. (a backroll) The videos look like it's a little harder to control than a sit-down hydrofoil. Seems like a good way to trash your knees though.
Old     (gnarkill)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-08-2004, 6:56 PM Reply   
I go Big...