Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through September 24, 2004

Old     (dallas141)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-07-2004, 10:56 AM Reply   
I've been looking for a used boat the past month or so. I've done a lot of research but the one subject I need some more info on is hours. My main questions are:

1. How high can the hours get before the performance/reliability of the engine come into question?

2. How many is just too many?

3. Is there a specific amount I should be averaging per yer like you would while looking at used cars/trucks (ex. 10,000 miles/year avg. on used car/truck would be a big plus)

And just any comments on hours would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking at mastercrafts, malibus, and correct crafts, anywhere from '93's to '00's depending on price. Thanks in advance.

Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-07-2004, 8:00 PM Reply   
Depending on how old it is....... i would say if you buy something with under 500hrs your getting a good boat, i've had my boat since April this year and already have 100hrs on it, but if you look at the inside/outside/motor, you would think it only has 5-10hrs.
Old     (hypo303)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-08-2004, 6:27 AM Reply   
i bought my 1990 malibu wth 565 hours on it
and i already put 75 on it ,i made sure the oil was changed ever 50 hours because thats the life of the engine
i was told its appox 2500 miles for ever 100 hours
i have also seen boats with over 1500 hours and still running strong....if maintained
Old    brye            08-08-2004, 8:04 AM Reply   
I know this is not the same type of boat but here goes..

1974 Searay (Dads boat since new)
2 outdrive impellers
3 water pumps
5 batteries
2 carb rebuilds
7 tuneups

3500+ hours when I looked at it last 2 years ago. It has a Merc 302. It is on the boatlift right now so I assume it still runs.

My first boat was a Centurion Falcon with a 351. It was a 1992 which I picked up in 2001 with 185 hours on it. Sold boat in 2004 with 270ish hours.
only put an impeller in it.

I think that the hardest thing on a marine engine is that they do not get used in the winter (some locations). If they are well taken care of, I wouldnt hesitate to buy an engine with 1000 hours on it.

Just my opinion