Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through September 24, 2004

Old     (sherminator)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-01-2004, 9:38 PM Reply   
i have two infinity kappa 62m marine speakers on the tower and a two channel 100watt amp, my question is why do my speakers get distorted after an hour or so, too much power or not enough?
210 watt peak 4 ohm stable, btw ive wired them in parallel so the is in two ohm load now? is this goood or are they going to start smoking soon?
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-01-2004, 9:40 PM Reply   
maybe too much power, my speakers distort if they are turned up too loud... i dont know much about this subject
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-01-2004, 11:42 PM Reply   
sherminator,
I won't comment too much due to minimal knowledge of your system and conditions but my gut reaction is....running your system off the battery(s) for longer then they are capable of supplying minimum voltage/current.
If this symptom occurs after a period of time without charging your batteries and or runing your engine/alternator, you will run out of adequate power. The first thing that happens is clipping and subsequent distortion at the speaker.
I suppose this could also happen while the engine is running if the charging system is not producing enough at idle (assuming that is what you are doing) then you would end up with the same result...eventually.
If this is occuring under normal operating conditions.....I then have no clue as to the problem.
Good luck
Old     (sherminator)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-02-2004, 2:22 AM Reply   
i only run it when the boat is on, and we don't idle for very long at all, maybe 5 minutes, i thought the amp would be ok, but gain up or down doesnt make much diffrence? im an idiot when it comes to this stuff though...

i think im going to install 4 sony speakers, with a 4x250 amp, can regulate it more and double tha speakers is double the noise right? i know sony is crap, but we board in the rain now and then so i'd rather fry cheap speakers than expensive non marine...
Old     (sup208)      Join Date: May 2004       08-02-2004, 8:14 AM Reply   
sound like you amp is getting too hot and going into a thermal protection mode. This essentially drops the power in the amp to protect it. Get a bigger amp
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-02-2004, 1:39 PM Reply   
yep if it sounds good and then doesnt its too hot
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-02-2004, 2:08 PM Reply   
Sherm,
From reading your post it seems like you are loading 2 ohms on your amp in mono. Your amp is probably only capable of handling 4 ohms in mono. Wire them in stereo and your troubles may go away. Most amps are capable of handling 2 ohm loads in stereo and 4 ohms in mono.

Here is an article that may help: http://www.termpro.com/articles/spkrz.html
Old     (sherminator)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-02-2004, 4:12 PM Reply   
they are wired in stereo, and i kinda figured a 2.100 amp would do two little six inchers, but im starting to think a bigger amp would be a good thing, thanks for your help guys...