Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 06, 2007

Old     (madison_boarder)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-12-2007, 7:27 AM Reply   
Alright everyone, some of you may remember me from about a month ago. I have a 1981 Ski Nautique with a PCM Ford 351 and a 4160 4 barrel Holley Carb.

So, after the carburetor rebuild, the engine worked perfectly for about 8 trips out. Last night when I tried to put in, I had the person with me go ahead and start the boat and I think he primed it a lot more than I usually do. SHouldn't be a problem. Anyway, I get in to start it, it starts right up, but it idles roughly and then dies idling. I take a look at the carb and when I start it and rev, it's fine, but if I try to idle, the primary sprayers drip a lot of fuel, and then once it dies, the secondary jets start dripping as well. I thought... what could this be? I took a look at the float in the primary bowl and it didn't seem stuck...

Here's the question, has anyone ever had an issue where the fuel pump went out, but instead of losing pressure it somehow started applying too much pressure and thus flooded out the carb (I know that the carb can only handle like 6-9 psi but this is jsut the original mechanical pump, not some fancy electronic doo-dad)...

I'm thinking about replacing the pump, but want to be sure that's the issue.... I wouldn't think it's the carb as that was JUST rebuilt and after the rebuild it worked perfectly for weeks.

Thanks,
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-12-2007, 7:33 AM Reply   
It is the carb. There are float level checking screws that you remove to see if fuel comes out. The fuel level should be right there without fuel spilling out. They are on the side of the bowls.

Who rebuilt it?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-12-2007, 7:41 AM Reply   
yep. mechanical fuel pump - not really possible for the pump to overdo it.
Old     (madison_boarder)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-12-2007, 8:05 AM Reply   
I had it rebuilt by a mechanically adept friend. Why would this suddenly be an issue after working so well for 8-9 trips out (after rebuild in June)?
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-12-2007, 8:45 AM Reply   
The float uses a nitril type seal on the float, and it may have seated a little more or could have something sticking it open a little. First try adjusting the float. Then move forward from there. It is my thought, that on a boat especially, if the float bowl gets removed, a new gasket is put on. Fuel leaks can be deadly on a boat.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-13-2007, 11:55 AM Reply   
It is possible for something to contaminate the gas and get something "gritty" into the float valve. A tiny grain of dirt can imbed itself into the valve seat and keep it from closing all the way. It can really mess up idle but under load would not be a problem.

Rod