Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through June 22, 2004

Old     (billyboard)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-12-2004, 3:28 PM Reply   
I've narrowed my boat hunt down to 2000 or 2001 X-Star or ProStar 205V or Wakesetter VLX. Not sure what the 1999 VLX offers but without the wrap around seating, I know I don't want earlier than 2000 X-Star/Prostar 205V.

What are the differences between a 2000 and a 2001 Mastercraft X-Star?

Same question for a Mastercraft Prostar 205V?

Same question for a Malibu Wakesetter VLX? Is there any difference with the 1999 Wakesetter VLX?

If you want, feel free to compare the Malibu to the Mastercraft for those years too. :-)

Thanks.

(Message edited by billyboard on May 12, 2004)
Old     (nickpman)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-12-2004, 6:57 PM Reply   
X-star has almost stayed the same the couple past years... now the X2. We own an X2 and it's really great. It's on the smaller side, but seems a little bigger then the prostar, we had a prostar 190 before our X2 and its not nearly as nice as the X series. Tried to help
Old     (dfred)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-13-2004, 7:01 AM Reply   
Biggest differences between the 2000 and 2001 x-star/205v is the 2000 has a solid sun deck and the 2001 and up has the three piece. The tower 2000 is kind of bulky to me, the 2001 looks the same as whats on the x2 now just w/o built in board racks. Other than that as far as I know it just cosmetic...diffrent looking gages, not sure about the ballast system maybe someone else can help on that.
Old    sk8joe01            05-13-2004, 7:28 AM Reply   
the main difference is the year! one was made in 2000 and one was made in 2001...
Old     (mcfatty)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-13-2004, 8:03 AM Reply   
They didn't make Wakesetters in 99. 2000 was the first year. Just making sure you're not getting lied to. Sometime people will put Wakesetter graphics on a regular VLX.
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       05-13-2004, 10:23 AM Reply   
But aren't the hulls the same for those year VLX reguardless if they are wakesetters or not?
Old     (mcfatty)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-13-2004, 1:08 PM Reply   
Mark, they are the same hulls, but my point is I'd be pissed if I paid for a Wakesetter and it ended up a Sunsetter. There is a few thousand dollars difference.
Old     (mississippireb)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-13-2004, 1:48 PM Reply   
Funny, I've got a '99 Wakesetter and nobody changed the stickers on it. Probably what you are referring to is that the titles and coast guard stickers say Sunsetter. That was so they would not have to get another model approved by the CG. Wakesetter was a package for the Sunsetter in '99, graphics, color scheme, wedge, etc...but it IS a Wakesetter.

Daniel
Old     (mcfatty)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-13-2004, 2:09 PM Reply   
Nice looking boat Daniel. In my research I found only one article that refered to a Wakesetter before 2000 and it was dated 9-99 talking about Sunsetter Escape with the Wakesetter package, but by September Malibu has started on the next year boats models.

Never the less, I'm wrong. First time!
Old     (mississippireb)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-13-2004, 2:15 PM Reply   
Hey man, no worries. Thanks for the compliment. Your boat is pretty sweet too. I really like Orange.

Daniel
Old     (billyboard)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-13-2004, 2:36 PM Reply   
Daniel,
How do you like that kind of tower?
I've seen it on a couple of boats for sale, though most have the tower more on the sides like an X-Star tower.
Is it harder to find good board racks?
Does it hinder the view since it seems to be towards the front of the windshield?
Thanks
Old     (mississippireb)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-13-2004, 2:57 PM Reply   
To be honest with you, I love that tower. It is called a Titan series II. Mostly you will see it on Malibus as it is original equipment for them. (You can also get the "swoop" type on a 'Bu, they are made by skylon, I think.) The Titan has a nice meaty look and is very solid. It is made of 2 1/4" stainless. Lowering it is as easy as unscrewing an allen screw and dropping it, easy for one person.

As for board racks, Titan makes some very nice board racks, but most racks have the option to be mounted on a vertical 2 1/4" tube, so I don't think it will be a problem finding a good set. (You can buy the Titan Lowriders from Wakeside.com for $399 a set every day)

I haven't noticed it getting in the way of my view, it doesn't really come in front of the winshield. I'll try to get a photo of the view from the driver's seat if you want me too.

From everything that I've read, you are not going to find a more solid tower. I guess it just depends on how you like the look. I think they look a little bare without speakers and board racks. I'm working on a set of racks as we speak.

Let me know if you want to see that photo.

Daniel
Old    wilson            05-13-2004, 3:25 PM Reply   
Get the 3 piece sundeck. I have a 2000 Xstar and it is a pain to open the one piece with the motor, it's cool but gets real old. The later Xstar have the 3 kgb ballast compared to my Xstar with only one in the middle.