Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 11, 2004

Old    head461            01-13-2004, 10:46 AM Reply   
Lookin for input on how the ride is, anybody???
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-13-2004, 10:48 AM Reply   
i have heard good things. i know mike at adrenalinewatersports.com rides one out of all the boards he carries. ask him.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-13-2004, 10:57 AM Reply   
Aaron,

I have the 142 biolite. The board rides fast and cuts extremely hard towards the wake much like the Parks. The TFD has an abrupt cotinuous rocker that gives you pop similar to a three stage, but you still get the consistent pop of a continuous board. I put the .7 fins on mine, and it cuts loose off of wake much better now.
Old    bross            01-13-2004, 11:50 AM Reply   
Cliff,
How would you rate the TFD as a board for beginers to Intermediate/Advanced range. I need a board that I can use to teach a person to get up on, but at the same time allow expierenced riders, not myself...I have my own board...to get good ride. Hyperlite's catalogs says it will move as fast as the riders wants. Do you think this is the board I need?
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-13-2004, 1:00 PM Reply   
Brian,

In my opinion, the TFD would work great for all levels of rider. If a beginner wanted to ride it, I would leave the 1.1 fins on the board. As the rider's skill level improves, I would go with the smaller fins. The TFD although fast, is a very stable, very consistent board, with soft landings.

Keep in mind this is only my opinion, others may not agree.

Good luck.
Old    bross            01-13-2004, 1:25 PM Reply   
Cliff,
Thanks. I have looked at getting a Temet, but with it being a directional board, it might not accomidate people who ride different foot forward and I don't want to change the bindings around all day. Thanks. Anyone else want to chime in?
Old    head461            01-14-2004, 8:25 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the input. Sounds like it's time to demo!!!!

Aaron
Old    leftcoastpunk            01-14-2004, 1:22 PM Reply   
Brian and Aaron, the TFD is the perfect board for me. Ever since I switched from my drifter to the TFD I have taking my tricks bigger and landing them more consistantly. I dont know if either of you have ever ridden the old HL Drifter boards but the ride is basically the same, the new rocker just gives a more sudden pop as opposed to the gradual pop of the drifter. I agree with Cliff, the 1.1 A-Wing fins just track to hard for me, I switched out mine for 0.9 P-wing fins and it rides a little looser.
Old    bross            01-14-2004, 2:35 PM Reply   
Michael,
Would the TFD be a good board for teaching or beginers looking for an easy board to ride?
Old    leftcoastpunk            01-14-2004, 3:11 PM Reply   
I think that it would a pretty good board for learning on. I learned on my old drifter HC basically the same ride just a more subtle pop of the wake. There are some better beginner boards out there but this would be a good board to grow into IMO. Your best choice would be to get a few boards from your local shop and ride them, see what you do and dont like about each and then decide from there. Everybody has different riding styles and like different boards, for me the TFD just fit my style. But I also think that you will grow to the style of the board you learn on.
Old    blind5            01-14-2004, 4:01 PM Reply   
I just started riding the TFD after the end of the season, before that I was on a Belmont, and in my opinion the TFD is not a good beginner board for several reasons. I fell as if the TFD is to fast of a board for beginners and is too explosive off of the wake. I think that begginers need to have a board that ride really easy, and comes off of the wake real clean, the same way every time. The Motive would be the board that I would choose for a begginer. The Motive is a board that will help a person progress very fast, and that is what our sport is about. Don't think that just because the Motive isn't one of the main line boards that is sucks, just ask Shaun M. it was his pro modal just a few years ago. I'm not dissing the TFD, it is an awesome board for me. It just might not be the same for everyone else.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-14-2004, 7:05 PM Reply   
Brian,

I would agree that with Rob that a Motive board would be a great board as well. I bought the Motive 140 when it was still called the Belmont back in 2000. After that board got stolen, I bought the same board in the 144 version, and rode it up until last fall. I still think you could learn on the TFD, but the Motive is definitely the slower more forgiving board of the two.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-14-2004, 7:34 PM Reply   
Michael, I have been a drifter rider for 3 years now and just bought a TFD this winter. I liked the way the drifter tracked, but was not getting any love from it as far as pop goes. Also, I felt the drifter landed harsh. I can't ride the TFD until march due to snow and ice. What should I expect compared to the drifter (2001 model) Any change in your riding style.?
Old    tfdhyprider            01-14-2004, 7:35 PM Reply   
INSANE BOARD...THE ONLY AWESOME ONE HYPERLITE'S GOT! I rode them all! the new temet's kinna cool
Old    leftcoastpunk            01-14-2004, 11:10 PM Reply   
Andrew, I loved my drifters, I learned on those boards. The thing about the drifter compared to the TFD is that the drifter has a continuous rocker, they put two small kinks on the TFD so that it is still a continuous rocker, but it is more abrupt, so you will experience more of an initial pop of the wake as opposed to the more gradual pop of the drifter. As far as landings are concerned, the TFD lands alot smother thanks to its two channels and the fact that the bottom comes to a point not flat like our old drifters. I still pretty much kept my same style, but I just got better at the small things holding me back. I would definantly change out the stock 1.1 A-Wing fins though, get some P-Wings those will help you release the board alot easier, it also helps when spinning because you can leave the wake early and not pay for it.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-15-2004, 7:32 PM Reply   
Michael, thanks a bunch for the info. Looks like I made the right choice in a new board. I am not doing much spinning yet, but when I do I will be changing out the fins. I am glad to hear it lands smoother. I thought it was just me. I hated landing in the flats because it was like hitting cement and I would just explode. If the TFD does not help, I am quiting!! Just kidding.I am looking forward to riding it!!!!!! Reading your posts, I too think my drifter is holding me back on on some of the small things. My friends have told me for over a year to ditch the thing.