Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 13, 2007

Old     (jeff_t)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-11-2007, 11:04 AM Reply   
I have 6 deck speakers that I'm trying to power. They are cheap 50w rms/100w peak (4 ohm) clarion speakers. I have NO clue how to go about doing this or how to mach up an amp to power them correctly. I have heard mention of running speakers in parallel. I have also heard about bridging and then splitting power out. I don't know anything so ANY advice is huge.

Thanks!!
Old     (dldunn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-11-2007, 11:25 AM Reply   
What about your head unit? You could power one per channel on the amp, and power 2 off of the head if that is an option.

If not, the best I could come up with is:
wire 2 pairs in series giving you 2 8 ohm loads
run the remaining 2 speakers on the other 2 channels.

I'm assuming that your amp is not stable at 1 ohm per channel, if it is, you would have more options. Also, I haven't seen many 4 channel amps that are bridgeable to 1 channel....but I could be wrong. What kind of amp and what are it's specs?
Old     (jeff_t)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-11-2007, 11:50 AM Reply   
I haven't decided on the amp because I don't know what to look for at this point.
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       02-11-2007, 2:00 PM Reply   
You could get a fairly powerful 2 channel amp, and then have the three left speakers in parallel, and the three left in parallel. If you have 200X2, that would give you about 67W to each speaker. Just about perfect.
Old     (jeff_t)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-11-2007, 2:35 PM Reply   
What would that do to ohm load?
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-11-2007, 6:15 PM Reply   
I run my 6 speakers on a 4 channel amp. Two channels to the bow, the other two channels the rear four (parallel wiring).
Old     (dldunn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-11-2007, 9:31 PM Reply   
Three 4 ohm speakers in parallel will give you 1.33 ohms, so you would basically need a 2 channel amp that was stable to one ohm per channel...there are some out there. The only drawback to this type system is that you would have no way to adjust volume between front and rear speakers.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-12-2007, 5:33 AM Reply   
If you have cheap speakers, and are looking for a easy set up, the three 4 ohm to 1.33 ohm probably isn't the set up for you. Any amp that goes under 2 probably draws a lot of current. Like someone said above, my idea is run some off your head unit, others off an amp. Maybe a 4 channel for four, then another pair of the head unit.

Also you lose the ability to fade your speakers/system if you parallel three speakers to one channel. I like to have fading, so I can keep volume low in one section so I don't blow out my little one's ears.
Old     (kgoings)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-12-2007, 5:59 AM Reply   
what about serial/parallel wiring. You can wire all four to once channel and keep the load rating.

http://termpro.com/articles/spkrz.html
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-12-2007, 6:26 AM Reply   
If you haven't bought an amp yet, why don't you just get on of these JL's.

http://marine.jlaudio.com/products_amps.php?amp_id=262