Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 11, 2004

Old    jacobyz250            12-26-2003, 10:37 AM Reply   
I'm on a tight budget as you can see. I've saved 10 G's over the last two years and love boarding. My last boat that I owned was a Bayliner. I've been behind a Sanger, Sport Nautique and an Air, Air's are way to much money for me. I was thinking about Correct Crafts 2001 or Sport. Malibus late 80's and early 90's Sunsports, Euro F3's. Mastercraft TriStar and Mirstar. Supra Sunsport and Saltare. Let me know what you think. This boat will be striclty for wakeboarding only. I currently go to college and this 10 grand is all I have. I well get Fat Sacs for whichever boat I get as well. Thanks any information of any of these boats would be awsome. I've heard nothing but good things about Correct crafts 2001 but it's kinda small with a closed bow and only 18'9 long. I kinda want something aleast 20 feet long with an open bow.
Thanks a lot,
Jacob
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-26-2003, 11:00 AM Reply   
I got an 86 2001 2 summers ago and I paid $9300.After I got a tower and put a stereo in it with a couple sacs I now have as a nice a wake as some other newer pricier(sp?) boats. only bad thing is room,But hey I can live with that until I decide to upgrade....haha I am very happy with my purchase
Old    grizzle            12-26-2003, 12:28 PM Reply   
Jacob where are you ?
There is an 89 Nautique here in Tampa, FL for under $10K that I've personally ridden behind if she is still selling so she can uprade to a newer SAN!

(Message edited by grizzle on December 26, 2003)
Old    89comp            12-26-2003, 3:29 PM Reply   
Jacob-
I'm running a 1989 Supra Comp that lists out for about $8k and I'm in the same boat you are (just finished school - no money, want to ride).
My 89 does good for how old it is. I put in one fat sac in the back and 200# of concrete in the front and the wake is good. It will never be as good as a wakeboard specific boat, but it works good. I also put in a monster tower so I could have a tower for cheap. I don't even have a stereo in this boat and it isn't open bow so you get the idea how bare bones it is. But the boat does well and I get to ride.
If you are looking for a boat this old, make sure you check the flooring. Check to see if the floor is soft, then try to turn the bolts on the ski pylon. If they spin freely, the stringers are rotted and would be costly to replace.
My boat was completely rotted out (it was left outisde) so I sent it back to the factory for new stringers, new flooring, new carpet. etc.
Good luck hunting and keep us updated! Where are you located anyway?
Old    jacobyz250            12-26-2003, 5:38 PM Reply   
Yeah, Thanks for the comments, keep them coming. I live in Southern Califronia. The other think I'm not sure about on the 2001's is that I also rode behind a 96 ski nautique with two 500lbs(the ski has a beam of 7'7, 19 feet long, and the same weight at 2340,same hull as the 2001 model or no?) like the sacks on each side of the motor and the wake didnt have as nice of a ramp as the sport, sanger, or SAN.
That 89 Super Comp sounds pretty sweet, I just want to ride as well, I'm just looking right now for the sweet boat even though I have 4-5 months left before the season anyways =Þ
Old     (flydoc)      Join Date: Feb 2003       12-26-2003, 6:02 PM Reply   
I'd look for an older moomba outback or mobius (mobius comes with the tower). They have the indmar 310 to 350 HP (virtually same engine as the mastercrafts) and no wood stringers to rot out. I bought a nice 99 mobius from a divorcing couple that didn't get it winterized for 10,000. I had to put $2K in a new engine block and one new manifold but with some sacks it throws a greata wake. If you go a little older you could get one for 10K if you look a while. I have heard good things about the 2001 nautiques but as you said no open bow and lots smaller.

(Message edited by flydoc on December 26, 2003)
Old     (gvb)      Join Date: May 2003       12-26-2003, 6:45 PM Reply   
The ProStars are also a good option for that price range. I paid under $10k for my 89' PS190 w/ just a little over 300 hours on it, and a super clean interior.
Old    jacobyz250            12-26-2003, 8:26 PM Reply   
The beam was a little smaller on the ProStars and they were a little lighter, how is the wake on the pro-star?
Thanks
Old    slalomskifreak            12-27-2003, 2:14 AM Reply   
I have a 88 PS190 w/B.I. pylon and no ballast (except 6 people max). I stink wakeboarding and don't know much about wake shapes, but a couple of younger riders (16-25yrs)were able to get enough air to pull off 360's, flips, etc. into the flats. I payed 10K 3 summers ago and the boat was/is in showroom condition. Good Luck!
Old     (mac_attack)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-27-2003, 10:09 AM Reply   
The newer ski nautis are different than the 2001s. The 2001 have a much better wake.

I have an 86 SN 2001. I installed a Flight Control tower, Wakeboard Pro PP, and have it sacked out to where it throws an impressive wake.

Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       12-27-2003, 10:34 AM Reply   
I have spent alot of time behind both a 1989 2001 Nauty and a 1993 Ski Nautique. The narrower 2001 was super steep with no rampy-ness to it what so ever. No matter how much weight we tried to get into the bow it was hard to get it rampy. Then there is the later model Ski Nautique that I had. Heavely weighted, and it took the weight well, it produced a very nice large rampy wake.

If it were me I would be looking at the Supra Sunsport which is the same hull as the Launch and get an extended pylon, some fat sacks and go have fun on a great wake.
Old    jacobyz250            01-04-2004, 8:06 PM Reply   
I have found some Ski Brendella's for some nice prices. What do you guys think about a 90's 20 foot Brendella, if I added a pole and put some sacs in(1000-1500)lbs. It should through a pretty nice wake right? Anyone rode behind a Brendilla or knows someone who does and how they like it.
Thanks any more information at all would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Old    crash93            01-04-2004, 8:32 PM Reply   
Ski Brendellas are a pretty good boat for the $$$. My cousin has a 94 "Pro Comp" that he's had for about 6 years with no mechanical failures, and he runs the s!&t out of it.

Only thing that I don't like about the Brendella is how low it sits in the water, espically with fat sacs. If you always have smooth water you shouldn't have much trouble

(Message edited by crash93 on January 04, 2004)
Old    murrayair            01-05-2004, 1:58 PM Reply   
How do you guys weight your 2001's? i have the same boat and am always open to suggestions.
Old     (mac_attack)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-05-2004, 4:10 PM Reply   
Around 600 on each side of the engine. 500-600 in the rear and a couple hundred in the front. For me it also depends on how many people will be in the boat for that day. This amount will be great for 2-3 people. If more people come you can back the weight off some. With the above set up the wake will be really vert, hard, and huge. HAHAHA! Sorry. If you want it to be less vert have the heavier people sit in the front or add to the front sac. Man there are tons of way to do it just experiment to see what you like but be sure to add some weight to the bow.
Old    stevenf            01-05-2004, 10:57 PM Reply   
hey thats great you saved the bling up to buy a boat i did the same thing and im in college too only in texas i was on the boards awhile back and was basically told a college student couldnt save up the money to buy a boat well heres from me too all the suckers who didnt think it could be done it can and heres another student who did it. oh yeah i was also told that with my profession of being a ups driver i could not afford a boat well 24.57 an hour and i believe you can (full ground)pay people "what can brown do for you" well heres to the point i did the same thing saved up 10gs and put that as the down payment on an 01 xstar i bought it in 02 from a dealer here that gave me a very very good deal and financed out the rest over 15 yrs. I still have 13yrs or so to go on the paments but that is the route i took and love it. congrats to you man for saving your money. steven
Old    stevenf            01-05-2004, 11:01 PM Reply   
oh yeah theres a couple of used 00 xstars at the same dealer im shure i could get you a kickin deal on but it would be more than 10g's with that as a down payment you could finance out the rest and have a super low payment like i do
Old     (skier86)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-08-2004, 12:35 PM Reply   
have you considered an "american skier". ive had mine for a couple of year and been very happy with it. mine is not for sale, but i picked it up for $8200. its an "1986 advance model". from what i understand correct craft sold their hulls to the american skier company and they created a less expensive boat. mine came with a system a wakeboard pole. and the boat is ****. it has a (PCM 350 - pleasurecraft) ,and a (beloit warner) vevlet drive. These are the exact same high quality engine and tranny that are in the the correct crafts. i see them for sell every couple of month for about the same price that i paid. i live in central cali. oh yeah i also am still in college and saved up and paid cash. its nice not to have an extra payment.
Old    jacobyz250            01-10-2004, 8:08 PM Reply   
Thanks for the advice, I'm still looking... I havent bought anything yet but when I do I'll let you know.
Old    jacobyz250            01-18-2004, 10:10 PM Reply   
There She Is..
My 2001
Old    wegotbikes            01-19-2004, 7:01 AM Reply   
nice looking boat jacob, how much?
Old    aka Bradley Beach            01-19-2004, 7:38 AM Reply   
Sharp!
Old    jacobyz250            01-19-2004, 9:49 AM Reply   
$7000, But It does need a new boat cover, and possably a little interior touch up here and there. It was a single owner and came with a barefoot boom,lol, spare prop,506 hours, and I have to decide to put in a air boom pylon with a board rack or a monster tower. I think I'm just gonna snag an extended pylon because it has a sweet bimini that wouldnt be compatable with a monster tower. I'm stoked and it's gonna be a long winter, but thats okay because I still have a lot of things to buy, prepartion, and testing to do before I take her out.
Old    aka Bradley Beach            01-19-2004, 10:01 AM Reply   
You'll always remember your first boat! Looks like a good one to start with! Congratulations!
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       01-19-2004, 12:52 PM Reply   
Jacob, is that trailer newer than the boat, it looks really good. The boat looks like it's in great shape for $7000.
Old    jacobyz250            01-21-2004, 8:41 PM Reply   
It's the same year as well,1989. Yes, I must agree the trailor looks good, it even has a spare on the other side =Þ Ordered my cover the other day, should be here in 7 days or so. I'm stoked, Which bags should I run on the side, I was thinking about gethighsports bags but Is 1400lbs of bags to much for this boat, with 4 people riding in it? any thought, thanks let me know!
Old    wegotbikes            01-21-2004, 9:56 PM Reply   
Congrats on your purchase. I am still looking for my first boat. I am off to CA to look at one this weekend and if it what it's suppossed to be I will get an outstanding deal on a MC prostar 205. Here is a pic of it.

Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-21-2004, 11:29 PM Reply   
Well as we are on the subject of tight budgets. A great place to pic up a boat, for not near as much as its worth, is going to the police repo center, and looking at what they have there. I have a buddy who does this every year, and he finds some really good boats, for cheap.
Old    wegotbikes            01-22-2004, 7:27 AM Reply   
Really? Where can I find those repo centers? That sounds great.