Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 11, 2004

Old    wakekid14            12-16-2003, 5:37 PM Reply   
I just got the world's crapiest new: i blew my acl over the weekend. I'm 16 and its a 9 month recovery. The good news is I'm in orlando where every other prowakeboarder lives and gets knee surgery. My doctor was so used to seeing this he asked me if i landed on the downside of the wake or in the flats! Talk about freaky, i was thinking that i was going to have to explain wakeboarding. I have the MRI sometime this week and then get surgery. Only i have might have cartalige damage. Anyone here ever had that or an acl repair? Either way im a little freaked out to say the least. I was wondering if anyone had gone threw acl repair and rehab and what you did to keep your wakeboard skills up. I guess the trampolines out, maybe i could boat surf, thats low impact right? Any info would be great.
Old     (kneebone)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-16-2003, 11:16 PM Reply   
Alex, not the end of the world..I was 35 when I had ACL replacement. (cadaver achellis tendon is now in my knee.) Your recovery will depend on the skill of the surgeon and your commitment to rehab. I was wakeskating by 4 1/2 months and boarding again in six.
Good luck
Old     (3puttwilson)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-17-2003, 4:52 AM Reply   
Alex-I won't sugar coat it..it really sucks but you will be fine. My best advice is hit the gym before surgery and really try to build up your hamstrings and quads as much as possible. Of course with a blown acl you don't want to do squats but leg presses would probably be ok. Even if you use lighter weights you will still benefit. Also, try to hit an eliptical trainer and an exercise bike every day if you can. This will really help you with recovery. As I have learned with my own acl surgery you can't push it too soon. Get it in your mind that you have to follow the time line they give you.
Of course my advice is based on what my dr. told me to do. Check with your dr. before starting this or any exercise program....he may not agree.
Old    wakekid14            12-17-2003, 5:04 PM Reply   
My doc just gave me some leg exersizes w/o wieght, i've been doing them religously
Old    blr            12-18-2003, 1:47 PM Reply   
I've had 3 ACL surgeries all on the same knee and many more cartilage repairs (also same knee). Best part is that your young (about the age I had my first). What people are saying is correct. Rehab, rehab, rehab. you need to really push yourself to do all your exercises and try to do a few extra every time. One thing that also will help big time is diet. Your body is repairing it's self so you have to give it the fuel to do so. eat lots of protein!! atleast your body weigth in grams per day and try to split that out over 5 meals per day. Oh, and you can squat after an ACL repair and or replacment. it just takes about a year after. lots of bike work will help a ton!
good luck!
Old     (txboardchic)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-18-2003, 5:33 PM Reply   
hey, i'm 16 too and not only do i have a torn acl, both of my munisci are torn (which are the cartlidges you are talking about) and my mcl is stretched to the point of it being of no use. All this happened on November 9th when i was playing soccer. Since then, i've had physical therapy 5 days a week and 2 times a day at home, everyday. FOLLOW WHAT THE PT SAYS...it works MIRACLES! i have this week of of therapy b/c my surgery is Dec. 23rd. so yeah the whole ordeal sucks for anyone who has ever gone trhough it but not only do i miss 2 soccer seasons and wakeboarding, i will be all drugged up on christmas! man, what a holiday i have to look forward to! -Lindsey