Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 15, 2006

Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       09-01-2006, 3:55 PM Reply   
Anyone ever overloaded a boat, I had a 3 bags full and 8 Adults, a couple of people where almost 300 lbs each, and the platform was gone under water, It was pretty much to the rubber trim in the back of the boat, just wondering how much is too much...
Old     (gerryaws)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-01-2006, 4:27 PM Reply   
When the sheriff gives you a ticket.
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-01-2006, 4:35 PM Reply   
When another 300 lb. guy wants in your boat, I'd throw in the towel. Maybe exchange for 2-130lb. ladies.
Old     (sammm724centurion)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-01-2006, 8:50 PM Reply   
I have had two 500lb sacs and 11 people. Platform was a good 4 inches under water. The wake was huge, but I little cramped on the boat. As long as everyone has a seat and can reach the beverages, then you are good.
Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       09-05-2006, 4:30 PM Reply   
My boat holds 1600 lbs of water and 10 passengers, although I've never had them both to capacity at the same time.
When you throttle back and the wake shoots over the transom, you've got too much weight in it.
Old     (azwakekid)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-05-2006, 6:09 PM Reply   
ya ah this past weekend we had 16 people and the ballast full on my buddys x-45, the wake was large
Old     (saltyoysters)      Join Date: May 2006       09-05-2006, 6:24 PM Reply   
had 12 people and 2100 lbs in a 06 xlv on monday , wake so big that friend broke 2 bones in his leg.
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-05-2006, 8:18 PM Reply   
when you sink... until then I guess you are fine. Or till you get a ticket as Gerry mentions haha.
Old    walt            09-05-2006, 9:09 PM Reply   
I saw a over loaded MC get swamped and cap size this weekend. Luckily all 16 people were ok.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-06-2006, 3:14 PM Reply   
There are three major areas of concern when the water line rises...

1) The most obvious is that the boat is so much more vulnerable to wakes, over the bow, over the stern (including your own on a quick stop) or even over the side. With the boat already heavily loaded it might not survive taking a big wake over the bow, plus it will be so much more likely to get a wake over the bow.

2) Thru-hull fittings; Water can flow back through the bilge pump when it is not operating. If the water line rises above the outlet for the bilge pump then it becomes a hole allowing more water into the boat. Likewise, if the gas tank vent goes under you will get water in the gas tank, which will not be good!

3) Exhaust risers: These are perhaps more subtle issues only because it isn't easy to see the relationship. The engine exhaust flow out through a fitting low in the boat. The engine cooling water is injected into the exhaust just past the "riser", which is the high point in the exhaust. The riser has to be sufficiently above the water line to assure that water can not flow back into the engine.
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       09-06-2006, 3:45 PM Reply   

(Message edited by kenteck on September 06, 2006)
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-07-2006, 4:42 AM Reply   
If your familiar with your boat you should be able to tell if its straining or not.I had a Moomba outback with 1500lbs and 8 people one time and you could feel the boat straining and also the motor.
Old     (crowmobe540)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-07-2006, 11:59 AM Reply   
As long as you can plane it is cool. I once had 8 bags on one side of my 2002 nauti plus ballast so I could surf. It was leaning a little bit.